It Cannot Get Any Worse

Todd's Surpise

Todd could see light leaking through a crack in the wall at the book case. Suddenly the light went off. Part of the bookcase looked funny, it was sticking out a bit more than the rest. Todd approached and realized the bookcase was a kind of door, it had been left partly open. He could hear the crying and moaning behind the door. Slowly he pulled the bookcase open, gun at ready.

Todd was distracted by a twang and a loud thunk sound, followed by some muttering that seemed to be coming from behind a door in the other corner of the game room. What the heck was Darrin up to. He was an odd duck that Darrin. Always worried about being unseen and unnoticed. The Family seemed to like him though.

As Todd nervously pulled the bookcase open, he could see nothing. Some sort of dark hallway. Suddenly a blast like an air horn at a ballgame ripped through the hallway. Startled Todd jumped back and fired his gun. He tripped over the jogging trampoline and fell onto his back. Todd rolled immediately to his feet gun ready. He looked through the bookcase doorway.

Thought the open doorway, Todd saw a long dark hall, at the end of the hall was a bedroom. Someone jumped back through the doorway and disappeared inside the room. He could see a man standing leaning over a bed. A young girl was standing behind the man, she saw Todd and screamed.

Todd also heard some screaming from behind the house and then a series of shots. Hopefully someone would be in to back him up. Suddenly a face appeared in the doorway of the bedroom and the person flung something at him. Todd fired a shot at the people in the room but it went high as he ducked out of the way. Whatever it was spun past him and embedded itself in the back of the bookcase door. Todd glanced at it. An axe? What the hell? Todd realized looking at the axe was a mistake. He looked back and fired again as the person in the doorway threw another axe at him. This time, Todd took the time to aim carefully. Following Darrin’s instructions, “body shot, then a head shot once they are down,” he aimed for the person’s body. They were wearing some sort of black circle. Todd did not care what it was, it made a convenient target. As he fired at the circle, Todd jumped back again. An axe came spinning down the hallway. Todd stumbled over the damn trampoline again, but did not quite fall, and the axe flew past him and hit the wall. As he caught his balance, he heard a very loud clang and the high pitched whine of a ricochet.
♠ ♠ ♠
.