It Cannot Get Any Worse

Good Luck, Andrew.

As Darin stepped out into the driveway, he heard wild shooting from the back, some idiot emptying their gun, probably at nothing, then he heard screaming and splashing closer but out of his field of view. A guy carrying a rifle and a large auto pistol ran out of the carriage house towards the sound of the screaming and splashing. Clearly not the direction Darrin wanted to go.

Darrin could see the police car behind a corvette. He knew the cop or cops were inside house or dead. Andrew had shot someone after all. Darrin ducked behind a car in the driveway, slipped behind the next one, then scooted up to the side of the police car. The front window was shot out but no one was inside. He could see the shadow of what appeared to be Andrew in the back of the car kicking at the window. No one else seemed to be around. Darrin pulled on the door handle. It was locked. Andrew was yelling at him to open the door and kicking the window. Darrin considered shooting out the window, or just shooting Andrew to keep him quiet. Andrew was a pro. He was not going to talk. Shooting the window or Andrew would attract too much attention anyway. Darrin heard more screaming and people yelling at the back of the house. Someone stepped out onto the front porch. It was a cop. Two more cops were approaching the house from the road. He waved to Andrew, muttered “Good Luck, Andrew” and slipped off into the woods. He tripped over one of those stupid giant spear arrow things, cursed, caught his balance and slipped off into the denser part of the woods. He heard a helicopter approaching.