It Cannot Get Any Worse

Aftermath II

Policemen were everywhere. Officer Cjersti Chapman was being hailed as a hero. One of the crossbow guys was telling a reporter how he captured the gunman single handed. The police were searching for one or two more gunmen. One had run off into the woods out back according to Gerry. The crossbow guys were arguing about whether there was someone else in the house. Officer Chapman said she had seen no one else. The police were bringing in dog teams.

Danny apparently pulled a muscle in his legs, both of them. Dr. Brosnan looked at him while he drew blood from Danny for Dad. Dr. Brosnan said Danny would be ok in a few weeks if he rested. Danny apparently squeezed the puffy faced guy nearly to death with his legs.

Dad was on his way to the hospital in the helicopter with Dr. Brosnan. Not the new Benchman hospital, but the smaller Seagate place on the other side of town. Dad sad they could not take him to Benchman's new hospital - he was adamant about it. Before he left, he told Quentin to go get a flash drive out of one of the mugs hanging on the pot rack over the island. Dad told Q to give the flash drive to Officer Chapman and tell her it had the answer on it. Quentin had done it, but he was not sure what Dad was talking about. Officer Chapman seemed confused about it too, she just shoved the flash drive into her pocket.

Ambulances began rolling in one after another. They loaded someone up, left, and another one came in.

Before the helicopter left, Dr. Brosnan had Danny move his Corvette out of the way. Q could tell Danny was tempted to go for a spin, even with all that was happening. Danny could hardly walk though. Q did not understand how he was able to operate the clutch in the Corvette, but nothing was likely to keep Danny away from an opportunity to drive a Z06, even if it was just a few feet.

Ragnar went in the first ambulance, then the puffy faced guy. It turned out puffy face was severely allergic to poison ivy and the knives dad threw at him were covered in the toxin. They said he might die. Q did not feel bad for being happy about that.

They had to do something to one of the bad guys right in the driveway. His head was kind of caved in and arrows were sticking from his leg, hand, and body. Eventually they put him in an ambulance too. One arrow was still stuck in him when they took him away.

Gerry had shot a guy in the woods behind the house and he went in the next ambulance. He was screaming like a baby. Q figured he must be badly hurt. Danny said when he was watching them work on him, the guy seemed like he was really drunk and could barely talk.

The police were still looking for the other bad guy from the woods. They thought there could possibly be several more around. They had not found the Cadillac, nor the guy Q had hit with the atlatl.

There were still two ambulances and no more hurt people. The medics were wandering round asking people if they were OK or if anyone else was hurt. Q joked that Danny should go in one of the ambulances since he hurt his legs. Danny could be Dad's roommate. Danny punched him.

One of the medics found Amber laying by the woodpile next to the pool. He called the other medic over and they stitched her up. They tried to get her to go to the house, but she would not walk and she was too big for them to lift. They gave her a shot and she fell asleep next to the woodpile. The medics wandered around a while and then one got in an ambulance and left, the other went out by the road talking to the cops.

Most of the cops had started searching the area with police dogs – Q watched them work until they were out of sight. It was really cool to see. The other cops were mostly out by the road. Officer Chapman and two Sheriffs were just kind of hanging on the front porch. They had been through the whole house, they even made Q open the other secret door and show them the scullery.

Q did not know how officer Chapman knew there was another secret door until he learned she had gone to high school with his sister. She knew the house well because she asked permission to go up and search his room and his parent's room for possible intruders. Q did not remember Cjersti Chapman being at the house before, but he did not remember too many of his sister's friends. He was pretty young when she was in high school. Officer Chapman also said she remembered busting Danny at a party one time. She had to let him go because the other Grosse Ile Policemen pretended they could not find the breathalyzer. She said they were always picking on her. Q decided he liked officer Chapman. Not only because she had stopped the guy in the basement from shooting Quentin. He wished Cjersti Chapman was his big sister too, not just a former friend of his big sister.

Kaja and Gerry had both decided to stay at the house until the remaining bad guys were caught. That made Q feel safer, but he wished they would quit trying to one up each other all the time. Q heard Gerry telling Kaja she had only gotten one guy with assistance from three other people while he had taken out a guy alone, so he was ahead. From the growl that she gave him, Q thought Gerry would be sprouting arrows soon.