It Cannot Get Any Worse

Aftermath

Quentin and Danny ran to dad. Dad was laying by the tree soaked in blood. He was very pale. They could see he had been shot in his chest and his left shoulder.

Amber had gotten there first and was standing over Dad and growling in the direction the Cadillac had gone. Amber? Danny thought she was shot. She was bleeding from one leg, but definitely not dead. Danny put his hand on her head as he leaned over Dad. She was a great dog, his best childhood friend except maybe his brother. He did not understand how she was alive, but he was gladdened somewhat. Hopefully Dad was not dead either. It looked like they may have shot him in the heart, left side of his chest. There was a lot of blood, but not as much as Danny expected seeing two bullet holes in his dad. Danny reached down and held his hand in front of Dad’s mouth and nose. He felt breath! Dad opened his eyes and said weakly “I love you” Bad sign. Did Dad think he was going to die?

Jack/Nimsey pushed Danny aside. Jack muttered “This is bad,” and pinched dad's shoulder. Dad screamed. Danny was about to tackle Jack when Q grabbed his arm and yelled “he is a nurse”

Kaja arrived yelling “what the hell is going on?” Kaja terrified Q and Danny, well, Kaja terrified everybody. Someone needed to tell her she was no longer in the Marines. Q stood up. “Someone attacked Dad. They shot him, they shot Ragnar too, in the leg. We darted one of them and they drove off. I think Dad hit one with a knife before they shot him.”

“Will they be back?”

Everyone stopped and stared at Kaja. Q shrugged and turned back to Dad. “What can we do?

Nimsey said “give me your shirt, and you too Danny.” Some of the other SCA people ran up. They were carrying axes and crossbows and screaming swearing and demanding to know what was going on.

Kaja was yelling “You go there, you over there, you three come here. Call 911, call 911.“ She dropped down behind the tree and nocked an arrow to her bow. “They may be back. We need everyone to focus. I want you ready. You may be fighting for real and for life against guns. This is real stuff, do exactly what I tell you.”

Quentin trusted Nimsey, he seemed like a good nurse. He had patched up many a sprained or broken limb from armored fighting at SCA events Quentin had attended in the past. Besides, he was the closest thing they had to someone who might know what to do. Kaja said “We need to get him away from the road.” Nimsey just nodded and continued tearing Danny's shirt to pieces. He replied, “Get Ragnar to the house. I put a tourniquet on him. It needs to be loosened for ten seconds and then re-tightened every three minutes. I think he will be ok. He needs some stitching though. We need a board to carry Master Dag to the house We cannot just lift him and he cannot walk.”