Status: on hiatus (1/5/2018)

When Hearts Collide

Gone For Far Too Long

As the city bus rolled to a stop at the end of her street, Charlotte Briggs rose to her tired feet. After working twelve straight hours serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner, Charlie was ready for a hot bath and a stiff drink.

The rear door of the bus slithered open and Charlie gave the bus driver a wave before stepping out onto the sidewalk. She dragged her feet to her apartment complex at the end of the block, finding herself perspiring almost instantly. She loosened the emerald green tie from around her neck and popped open the top button of her blouse in an attempt to cool down.

It was a warm day in Los Angeles, even for May. Charlie was disappointed to find that it hadn't cooled off in the slightest, not since she'd started work at six that morning. Her flaxen blond hair stuck to the back of her neck while her make-up felt like it was beginning to melt off. Despite the protests of her cramping feet, Charlie began to quicken her pace. She had to get out of the heat.

She hiked the shoulder strap of her purse further up her shoulder as she reached for the handle of the main complex doors. Charlie trudged inside, relieved to find that the air conditioning was still functioning. Some days, she was not so lucky.

Before heading upstairs, Charlie stopped to check her mailbox. While she wasn't surprised to find a few bills and some overdue notices waiting for her, there was a pale pink envelope addressed to her that captured her attention. Charlie stuffed the uninteresting mail into her bag while keeping the pink letter tucked under her sweaty arm. She was hoping to open the letter on her ride up to her seventh floor apartment.

However, as Charlie approached the elevator, she was beyond disappointed to find that it was down until further notice for repairs. The very last thing that Charlie wanted to do was climb seven sets of stairs to get to her apartment. With a defeated sigh, she slipped into the stairwell and began to pull herself up the stairs.

A trip that normally only took her a few minutes seemed to take an eternity that evening. She was grateful for the cool air, at the very least. After a few uncharted stops to check her aching feet, Charlie finally made it to the seventh floor landing.

She swung open the heavy brown door, painted with an obnoxiously large and yellow number seven. Charlie dragged her feet as she made her way down the hall. Stopping outside of 712, she tucked the pink letter under her arm again and began searching through her bag for her keys.

After securing the jingling band of keys, Charlie unlocked the door and poured herself inside the cool, dark apartment. Before flicking on the lights, she inhaled deeply and shut the door behind her. Once the small, bachelor apartment was illuminated, Charlie kicked off her black flats and let her purse fall to the floor.

She made her way over to her futon bed, taking a seat on the sofa. Falling back into the soft cushion, Charlie opened the pale pink envelope. From within, she pulled out a dainty invitation. It was covered in sage green succulent art, pale pink peonies, and silver, glittery leaf decals. In bold, silver script, the words 'You're Invited' enticed Charlie to open the card and read on.

Upon opening the card, a folded up piece of lined paper fell into her lap. Frowning, Charlie read the contents of the card. It was the time and date of a wedding - her brother Caleb's wedding, to her surprise. Swallowing hard, Charlie set the invitation aside and turned her attention to the lined paper in her lap.

Her hand lifted to her chest, pulling out the golden ring she wore faithfully around her neck. It had been a promise ring once upon a time, until she broke the promise when she impulsively moved out west.

It had been almost seven years since she'd last seen her brother. It had been months since she'd last spoken to him.

Apprehensively, as if reaching for a cobra, Charlie picked up the folded note with her other hand. Inhaling deeply, she opened the paper up, finding a short but sweet note in her brother's messy handwriting.

Charlie,

I understand if you can't make it..... but I really hope you'll be there. We both know it's been way too long.

Love you, sis.

Caleb


Exhaling, Charlie folded up the paper, tossing it aside with the invitation. Letting go of the ring around her neck, she peeled herself off the couch and returned to her bag, still lying by the front door. She crouched down with a grunt, digging through the contents of her bag for her cell phone.

As she dug out her phone from the mess, Charlie returned to the comfort of her futon. She curled up with a throw cushion and began scrolling through the contacts of her phone until her thumb hovered over her brother's name.

Sucking in a sharp breath, Charlie pressed 'call'. She held the phone to her ear, chewing on the inside of her cheek while the other line rang. Like clockwork, she found herself fidgeting with the ring yet again, a habit she'd developed out of nervous necessity.

After three rings, the line finally clicked.

"Did Hell freeze over?" Her brother teased upon answering.

"Better yet, I got your wedding invitation," Charlie fired back, a smile finding a way to her face. She had forgotten just how much she missed hearing the laugh in her brother's voice.

"Ah, I was wondering when I'd hear from you about that," Caleb snorted. "If ever."

"You've given me plenty of notice," She assured him. "I... should be able to make it."

"Seriously?" He laughed.

"Yeah," She shrugged against the couch. "You're my brother, Caleb. I wouldn't want to miss your big day. I'm really happy for you."

The truth was that living in California wasn't all it had been cracked up to be. Charlie struggled to pay rent, bills, and eat, let alone save for a trip back home. However, there was a pit in her stomach telling her that it was time to visit her family. Caleb was right; it had been way too long.

"Thanks, Charlie," He cheered. "Dad is going to flip his shit when he hears this."

"Woah.. woah, let's not... let's not let this get out," She licked over her lips, a nervous laugh following. "I'd appreciate it if you and Dad kept my confirmation to yourselves."

"Why?"

"Because,"

"Because... why, Charlie?" Caleb laughed. "Afraid of facing your past?"

Charlie rolled her eyes.

"It's not... that," She retorted, though even she knew that he had a point. After all, facing her past was the reason she was still fighting to make a living out west. Charlie knew the damage had already been done; in her mind, there wasn't anything waiting for her back home except the consequences of her actions.

"No? The thought of seeing Jamie again doesn't make you even the least bit uncomfortable?"

The ring in her fingers suddenly stung, as if an electric impulse had shocked her through the band. She let the opal ring fall against her chest with a scoff.

"Okay, Caleb," She snapped. "You've made your point."

"Have you even talked to him once in the past seven years?"

Charlie fell quiet. Not only did she still feel guilty about the way she ended things with Jamie, but the last person she wanted to talk about her high school boyfriend was her own brother.

"I'll take that as a no," He scoffed. "But just so you know since you're coming, I invited him, Charlie. He's... he's gonna be my best man."

"Your best man?" She blurted out, slapping her hand over her mouth afterward.

"Jamie has stuck around our family through thick and thin," He informed her. "Dad helped him with his apprenticeship and we've been working at the shop, side by side, ever since. Even with Mom, he..."

"I remember," Charlie muttered, wishing her brother could've avoided bringing up their late mother.

One too many cans of worms had already been opened in less than five minutes.

"I told him that I invited you," Caleb confessed. "But... I wasn't sure if you'd actually come or not."

"And?" She hesitated to ask. "How did he take it?"

"And... nothing," He told her. "He figured I would. He seemed to take it well."

Charlie nodded, forgetting that she was on the phone.

"But, between you and me, I don't think he's gotten over you,"

"That's... not really what I want to hear, Caleb," She sighed, raking her free hand through her hair.

"I bet you'll be singing a different tune when you see him," Her brother all but sung.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Her nose scrunched.

"Nothing," He laughed. "I just know you, Charlie."

"You might be surprised," She retorted, knowing well enough just how much living out west had changed her. She wasn't a lost, little farm girl anymore; Charlie had grown into a hardened, independent woman - she had to if she wanted to survive in the city.

"Either way, I'm... really glad you'll be here," Caleb sounded sincere as he redirected the conversation. "It means a lot to me."

"I'm looking forward to being a part of it," Charlie told him, still managing another smile.

"Well, I gotta get going, just got to a call," He explained. "It was great hearing from you, sis. Hopefully it won't be the last time before August."

"I'm sure it won't," She smiled. "Take care of yourself, Caleb."

"You too," Her brother sighed. "Love you, Charlie."

"I love you, too,"

After Charlie ended the call, she tossed her phone aside. She slumped deeper into the couch and found herself staring up the at ceiling.

What had she just gotten herself into?
♠ ♠ ♠
Excited for this story idea that I've been chewing on for a while now!

I've been listening to enough Gary Vaynerchuk now to know that it's time to stop waiting, start doing, and share my ideas. Hoping to update regularly; feedback is always appreciated :)

Title cred: Gunslinger - Avenged Sevenfold

- M x