Status: on hiatus (1/5/2018)

When Hearts Collide

Love Has Been Here And Gone

Three Months Later


Sitting in the airport terminal, waiting for her flight to depart, Charlie couldn't believe she was actually heading home. She fiddled with the dainty ring around her neck as waves of anxiety washed over her. Her stomach was tied up in knots while her heart was pounding like a jack-hammer from within her chest cavity. As if the anxiety of flying just wasn't enough..

For the first time in seven years, she would be reunited with her father and brother again, as well as much of their extended family. Charlie was excited to watch her older brother get married; however, the anxiety of having to face the rest of their family and friends had been weighing on her consciousness heavily over the past week.

Arguably, it was the theoretical encounter with her ex boyfriend, Jamie, that was preoccupying most of her attention. Ever since her conversation with her brother months prior, Charlie had been plagued with thoughts of Jamie. Though she often told herself it was just a high school fling - a five year fling, at that - there was a large part of her that hadn't been able to forget about him. Charlie hadn't been able to make any relationships last since the move, often finding herself cursed by the memories of Jamie Andersson.

Work seemed to be the only thing that kept him off her mind. Though it was mind-numbing and exhausting, it was a distraction, nonetheless. As she had to pick up extra shifts to save for her trip, this fortunately worked in her favor. However, her sleep schedule had been greatly sacrificed.

Luckily, one of Charlie's best friends from work was able to lend her a few dresses for the special occasion to save her a little extra time and money. Charlie had a hard time simply choosing just one outfit - so naturally, Sadie insisted that she take several, just in case.

Stealing a glance at the clock on the terminal wall, Charlie figured she had ten to fifteen minutes before her flight began boarding. She let go of the ring around her neck and began fidgeting with her phone, sending farewell messages to a few of her friends before leaving the state. Sadie had responded quickly, demanding that she keep in touch, send pictures from the wedding, and let her know if she hooked up with her ex again.

It was in those final moments that Charlie finally cracked, opening her Facebook app. She chewed on her bottom lip as she searched Jamie's name. For weeks, she had told herself it would be better not to look him up - but she just couldn't take it anymore. Her curiosity had finally gotten the better of her.

His name was the first to pop up. Her thumb hesitated before finally clicking his photo, opening his profile. She wasn't surprised to see that he was still living in the same hometown they'd grown up in; she was, however, surprised to find that he was still single.

Charlie flipped through his profile photos, like any nervous and estranged ex-girlfriend would. From the photos of him with family and friends, as well as solo shots of him standing in front of magnificent views of nature and wonders of the world, it was obvious that Jamie had lived a fulfilling life so far. He had grown his hair out to his shoulders, not to mention covered both of his arms in full sleeve tattoos.

The same crinkled-nose, dimpled smile and the same brilliant blue eyes remained.

"Now boarding Delta flight 232, Los Angeles to Duluth,"

Snapping out of her daze, Charlie closed her Facebook app. After sending a quick message to both her father and brother about picking her up from the airport later that evening, she turned her phone to airplane mode. She stuffed the phone away, waiting patiently for her section to be called for boarding.
Image


By the end of her flight, Charlie was questioning whether or not she was truly doing the right thing. She had to remind herself that this was for Caleb, above all... even if no one else was expecting her or wanted her to be there.

She was relieved to be on the ground again after several hours of flight; however, she was worried about what waited for her outside the terminal. After collecting her bags, Charlie turned her phone on again, receiving a blockade of messages from her brother, father, and her friends back home. She paused with her luggage, replying back to her friends and reading over her family messages.

As it turned out, Caleb would be waiting to pick her up.

Swallowing hard, Charlie sent her brother a short message, letting him know she was on her way out. She tucked her phone into purse before continuing out of the terminal. She followed after other passengers out of the terminal doors, taking in a deep breath of fresh air. There were a few things she missed about Minnesota; the fresh air was one. No matter where you went in Los Angeles, it felt like it was impossible to catch a good, deep, fresh breath of air.

"Charlie?"

She spun on her heels at the sound of her name, noticing a burly young man standing offside the crowd. With a smile, she headed over, recognizing his camouflage hat and hazel green eyes from anywhere.

"Caleb!" She squeaked.

Charlie wheeled her luggage over to her brother, taking in his the changes to his appearance since they'd last seen each other. He'd put on a bit of weight, that much was obvious. There was now a proud beer belly where there used to be abs. Caleb had also decided to grow his beard out, making him look several years older than he really was. In typically Briggs style, he was wearing a pair of dirty work boots, stained work pants, and a Briggs Boys auto-shop t-shirt.

He opened his thick arms for an embrace. Charlie smiled, letting go of her luggage to throw herself at her brother. She felt so small in his arms as he picked her up off the ground.

"How are ya, kid?" He laughed, releasing her back to her feet. Charlie fixed her shorts, shrugging it off.

"Alright," She told him.

"You seem... blonder... and smaller," Caleb scratched his head. "Smaller than I remember."

"Maybe you're just bigger," She winked, giving his belly a playful pat.

"Nice to have you back, Charlie," He rolled his eyes, smacking her hand away. Caleb helped with her luggage, picking her bags up off the floor. "Now, come on - I'm parked illegally with all the lights on."

"All the lights on?" Charlie asked, her nose scrunching up.

She followed her brother out of the terminal, somehow not surprised to find his flatbed tow-truck parked alongside the loading sidewalk, engine rumbling lowly. All of the safety lights were flashing while a few security guards stood by, watching questionably. Caleb gave them a wave, tossing Charlie's luggage onto the aluminum bed, strapping it down with his tow straps.

Charlie rolled her eyes as she climbed into the passenger's seat.

"That better not fly off," She told him.

"No promises," Caleb snorted. "But... I haven't lost a single car yet. Chances are, your shit will be just fine."

Charlie slammed the door after her as she took her seat. She fastened her seat belt as Caleb climbed into the driver's seat. He fiddled with the gears and soon, the large, loud truck was pulling away from the curb. She looked over at her brother, smirking while shaking her head.

"Welcome home, Charlie!" He roared, giving the horn a steady, celebratory honk, startling almost every passenger in the drop-off station.

"Thanks, brother," She sighed, sinking into her seat. She stared out the window as they drove, reflecting nostalgically as sites passed by. Of course, she also often stole a peak of the truck bed through the side mirror, making sure her belongings hadn't blown off in the breeze.

After a few quiet moments, Caleb cleared his throat.

"So, how long you plannin' on stayin' for?"

"Until next Thursday," She told him, looking over with a small smile. "I figure it would give me plenty of time to catch up with you and Dad."

"That sounds great, Charlie," Caleb smiled, nodding, never taking his eyes off the road. "Dad's gonna be so excited."

"I hope so," She laughed nervously, raking her polished fingers through her hair.

There was another pause in the conversation; Charlie braced herself for what she could only assume was coming next. Instinctively, she began playing with her necklace, running her fingers over the smooth, polished opal inlay of her ring.

"I... I, uh.... I told Jamie.... you'd be coming," Caleb told her sheepishly. "I mean, I figured.... it'd probably be... best?"

"Right," She nodded, her throat beginning to tighten. Her mind was a projection of images - flashbacks from the past, the photos from his profile, bits and pieces of the memories she'd yet to let go of.

"He seemed.... alright," He shrugged. "Given.... everything."

Charlie could only nod.

"You should talk to him," Caleb insisted, casting a brief glimpse in his sister's direction before looking back to the road. "Maybe... it'd be good for you, y'know? Him, too. Get some... closure."

"I'm probably the last person he wants to talk to, Caleb," She reminded him.

Her brother shrugged his shoulders.

"You might be surprised," He assured her. "I mean, I don't think he'll admit it.... but I know he's been waiting a long fucking time for this day."

"For you to get married?" Charlie snorted, trying to divert the conversation away from her ex.

"For you to come home," He told her, again rolling his eyes.

"Look, I just..." She sighed, letting the ring fall against her chest. "I don't even know what to say to him, alright? It's been... so long. I know that I really fucked up. I just.... came for the wedding. I'm not here to kiss and make-up. Frankly.... I know I'm already too late."

Caleb was quiet for a long while. The silence became uncomfortable.

Just as Charlie turned her attention out the window, her brother finally spoke up.

"You didn't call or write the boy once," He reminded her coolly. "I think, at the very least, you owe him a sincere apology, Charlie. If you want nothing to do with him, that's fine. But he deserves closure.... he needs to let go and move on with his life."
♠ ♠ ♠
Be sure to leave your feedback!
- M

Title credit: Ten Tonne Skeleton - Royal Blood