Second Chances

Chapter 1 - Home Opener

With her journalism degree from the University of Virginia, Whitney had frantically searched for a job that would support both her and her daughter. When she was offered a position in Pittsburgh covering anything and all things sports for the University of Pittsburgh, she accepted immediately. It didn’t even cross her mind that he was there, she was putting herself and her daughter’s future above anything else.

It was the beginning of October and so far the job was great, she spent time around sports, something she’d always had a passion for and the hours allowed her to spend time with her rambunctious three-year-old.

Tonight was the Pittsburgh Penguins home opener, a celebration of back to back Stanley Cup wins, and Whitney had been asked last minute for a coworker whose son had broken his arm and been rushed to the emergency room. With her college roommate and practically adopted sister watching Olivia, Whitney made her way through Consol Energy Center, press pass around her neck.

Up in the press box, Whitney pulled out her tablet and Bluetooth keyboard and settled into her seat, tucking her curly hair behind her ears before checking in on her daughter. She knew everything was fine, but she still found herself constantly checking in just to be sure, it was more of a nervous habit than worry that anything was actually wrong.

Throughout the entire game, she did her best to stay focused, writing her article to submit as soon as she was able to add in post-game quotes. Making sure she had saved her work, Whitney followed the other reports down toward the locker room as the clock began to dwindle. Watching on a tv screen as the game went to overtime and St. Louis scored, she couldn’t help but frown. Postgame interviews were certainly a lot less fun after a loss.

When they were allowed into the locker room, Whitney stood toward the back of the media scrum. She’d been given a few questions to ask if she got the chance but for now, she simply had her tape recorder going to pick up as much as she could. It was as she was asking Captain Sidney Crosby on how the team planned to avoid a post-Stanley Cup slump that she heard her name and immediately felt a shiver go down her spine. Turning her head to see who had called her name, though she already knew that voice anywhere, Whitney nearly dropped her tape recorder.

She should have known that there was no way she wasn’t going to end up seeing him when she’d agreed to cover the game. But still, standing so close to him, especially when he’d removed all of his upper pads and shirt and was standing there in just his hockey pants she could hardly believe her eyes. It was evident that most of the other reporters were looking at her curiously because they’d never seen her before in their lives and apparently one of the Penguins knew her.

“Wait for me in the family lounge?” He whispered softly his eyes pleading with hers as the media was being pulled out of the locker room so that the players could finish changing and go home. Weakly Whitney nodded before heading down the hall a security guard pointed her toward, her heart hammering in her chest.

As she stood there her phone buzzed in her pocket and she quickly answered it, murmuring in soft tones that she would be home as soon as she could. Before she could hang up, he stepped out of the locker room in his suit and his name left her mouth in a breathy whisper causing Stephanie to insist that she took her time. Her blonde best friend had been the only person she’d confided in about everything that had happened and therefore she immediately understood.

The moment he spotted her he made his way across the room, pure shock on his face. His warm hands quickly cupped her cheeks and he just stared at her before pulling her into a tight hug.

“What are you doing here?” He questioned and she simply pointed to her press pass.

“I um...I cover the University of Pittsburgh but the usual Pens reporter had to take their son to the ER for a broken arm so I’m covering.”

Sensing that his teammates and their spouses were watching their every move, Jake quickly moved his hand to her lower back and guided her out of the room and toward his car.
“So...how was the University of Virginia?” He asked and she was actually a little amazed that he remembered where she’d gone. After all, he’d had a pretty busy life the past four years himself. Still, the way he was looking at her made all those old feelings bubble up, something that she couldn’t let happen, not when she still held a massive secret from him, though not by choice.

“I…” She started to speak but had to pause to take a deep breath. “I have something I need to tell you. Can we go somewhere?”

He was confused by the serious look on her face but nodded all the same, motioning for her to get into the passenger side of his car before heading out of the arena. Sitting beside him, Whitney could only hope that her life-changing news would go over well.
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter 1 outfit: https://www.polyvore.com/cgi/set?id=230914057

Just another something that has been in my head for a little while. I absolutely adore Jake and there is definitely not enough stories about him. Obviously, all of this is fiction, but I would certainly appreciate feedback.