Chances

Drinks

"How was practice babe?" Amelia asked over the phone as she folded some clothes. It was early in the afternoon, and business at the boutique was a little slow, so she decided to pass some time and refold some of the clothes on the shelves when Michael had called.

"Pretty good actually. Coach is really happy with how we're playing and was super happy after last night's game, so things were pretty chill." Michael explained. The Canucks were on a five game win streak, and spirits were high all around, especially after a 3-0 shutout against the Kings the night prior.

"Well that's good! You guys were great last night, the Kings had no chance." Amelia told him.

"Hey you know some of the guys actually wanna go out tonight and celebrate the wins. Significant others are welcome." Michael said. Amelia giggled.

"Well gee thanks." She said, the sarcasm light in her voice, and he chuckled in response. "Who's all going?"

"Ummm it would be you and I, Guddy and Jessica, Bo and April, Marky, and a few of the younger guys. They wanna go to that new bar on 29th street that opened up a few weeks ago." he responded.

"Hmm... I'm game. Can I bring Tara along?"

"Yeah of course, more the merrier to be honest."

"Let me tell her, give me a sec." Amelia said into the phone. She walked into the back of the store and down to Tara's office, where the blonde sat at her computer, typing away furiously.

"Hey T?" Amelia questioned, and Tara looked up at her. "Wanna come out tonight with me, Michael, and some of the other guys from the team?"

Tara frowned and pushed her glasses up a bit from the tip of her nose. "Is it just gonna be us two and the boys?" she asked.

"A few of the significant others are coming along as well. Boys wanna celebrate their win streak." Amelia responded with a smile.

Tara grinned. "Count me in." Amelia put her phone back up to her ear. "She's in babe!"

"Excellent. I just got home and I'm gonna hop in the shower, I'll see you when you get home?" he told her.

"Sounds good, love you!" Amelia ended the call, and looked back up at Tara. "Tonight's gonna be fun."

The two of them went though the rest of the normal workday, and by 6 o'clock they headed home to get ready. After taking a shower and reapplying her makeup, Amelia decided on wearing a white cropped tank and black jeans with a few rips in them. While shoving her feet into a pair of heels, she heard a whistle from behind her. She turned to see Michael leaning against the doorway of their bedroom, a large smile on his face.

"You look really good babe." He told her. Amelia smiled and walked over to him to press a kiss to his lips.

"You're looking pretty good yourself Del Zotto." She told him, admiring the light blue button up and dark jeans that he wore. He pulled her in by the hips, and kissed her again, pulling away with a smile.

"Are you ready to go? I'm gonna request an Uber."

"Be done in 2 minutes!" She told him and slipped out of his grasp to finish up.

They arrived at the bar shortly after 9, and were greeted by a few of Michael’s teammates that had made it already. The restaurant that they were hanging out at was split into 2 levels, with the restaurant being downstairs and the upstairs level a bar/ lounge area with tons of tables, booths and lounge style chairs. The small group was led up to one of the sectioned off tables.

The rest of the guys and their respective significant others trickled in slowly, and the night carried on with a lot of drinks and laughs shared between the group. Around midnight, Amelia was sitting on one of the lounge couches when she felt someone plop down next to her. She turned to meet Michael’s smiley face.

“Hiiii babe.” He said in a sing song voice. Amelia giggled

“Hello to you too.”

“You look so pretty tonight... did I tell you that already?” He asked, his nose scrunching up a little.

Amelia took a sec to really look into his eyes, and noticed the sort of glossy look to them. He’s totally drunk. she thought to herself, but still smiled at him.

“You did, but it’s nice to hear it anyway.” She told him.

He grinned and leaned in to kiss her when Amelia caught the stench of alcohol coming from him.

okay he’s really drunk.

Amelia pushed him away gently to ask “Babe, how much did you have to drink?”

Michael pouted a bit “I dunno... I lost count. Why?”

“Maybe you should stop for a bit, you smell like a distillery.” She told him, to which he laughed.

“Oh come on babe we’re all having a good time and everyone is drinking! Loosen up a bit!”

Amelia frowned. “I know, but you’re really drunk, you should take a break. You’re gonna feel like shit tomorrow if you keep drinking.” She said. Michael rolled his eyes at her comment.

“What are you my mom?” He scoffed. “I’m a grown man, I can handle my alcohol.”

“I'm not saying you can't handle your alcohol, I'm just trying to look out for you. You don't need to be such a jerk about it.”

“Look if you’re gonna ruin the mood, maybe you should just go home. Everyone’s has had a ton of drinks, yourself included, so you don’t need be an annoying fucking brat.” He spat at her.

Amelia sat back shocked. In nearly the year they had been dating, he had never once been so cold to her. Sure they had their spats and arguments like any normal couple, but this was crossing a line. She reached over to the near by table to grab her clutch and turned to him again.

“I only had 4 drinks and one shot cause I know how to limit myself asshole. And you know what, I am gonna go home cause I don’t wanna sit here and watch you act like a fucking alcoholic who doesn’t know how to handle himself.” She spat back, and stood up to head towards the door.

“Fine! No one wants you here anyway!!” He called out after her, but she continued towards the stairs that lead down to the restaurant and outside.

With shaky fingers, she grabbed her phone and requested an Uber. Moments later, her ride appeared and she hopped in, fighting the tears threatening to fall and willing herself to not turn back to the bar. On the ride home, her phone began to chime with messages.

Tara Joseph : Milly what the fuck happened??!

Jacob Markstrom : hey what happened with you and DZ? You disappeared so quickly

Erik Gudbranson : do I need to beat his ass?

She let out a soft laugh at Erik’s text, but only responded to Tara

‘I’m fine, he was just being a giant dick to me and I don’t wanna be around him. Please ask Erik and Jacob to keep an eye on him’ she texted back, and clicked her phone shut.

The Uber pulled up to the apartment complex 10 minutes later, and she quickly thanked the driver and made her way into the building. Once inside her and Michael's place, she made sure to lock the door, but leaned against it and sighed.

Her mind was still reeling from the comments that he had made to her. It was like a switch had gone off inside of Michael, and he had gone from the sweet, silly guy that she loved to a cold hearted jerk. She had never pegged him for someone who could turn so cold so quickly, but knew the alcohol had a big part in it. They had drank together plenty of times before, but never to the point where either of them had gotten so drunk.

Amelia breathed in and out deeply, and pushed herself away from the door towards the hallway of their bedroom. She quickly changed into a pair of leggings and a t-shirt, and washed her face clean of makeup.

'Alright Milly, you're gonna make sure he gets home at safe, but you guys are gonna talk about this in morning.' she told herself as she sat on her side of the bed.

An hour later, her phone buzzed with a text from Jacob

Guddy and I are bringing him home and we're almost to your door, can you let us in?

Be right there she responded, and hopped out of bed. As she opened the front door, she spotted the three of them rounding the corner and making their way towards her. Erik was supporting Michael as they walked down the hall, making sure he didn't stumble over his own feet, and Jacob walked 2 steps behind them. Amelia scooted over to the side to allow them in, and shut the door behind them quitely.

"Where do you want him?" Erik asked.

"Couch please." She responded softly, and he nodded, leading Michael over to the couch. Michael had yet to say anything, but he kept his head down, and was doing his hardest to avoid eye contact with Amelia. She turned to look at Jacob, who stood by her as Erik moved Michael into the living room.

"Can you guys get him to take his shoes off and lay down? I'll be back in a sec with a blanket and some other stuff for him." She said to the goaltender, and he nodded and walked to the living room.

Amelia moved down the hall to grab a throw blanket she had stored in the closet, and moved back to the kitchen to grab a water bottle and the bottle of Tylenol. Before entering the living room again, she heard Michael quietly talking to his teammates.

“Guys... I... I really fucked up with Amelia right?” He asked as he slowly laid down on the couch.

“Tonight was not your best move bud.” Erik responded. He took note of her standing behind the couch, and held up a hand to say ‘hold on for a sec’

“I can’t believe I was so stupid.. she’s the best thing that’s happened to me. She puts up with me and our crazy schedule and what do I do? I act like a fucking dick to her. She probably despises me right now.” Michael said, rubbing a hand over his face.

“I don’t think she hates you man, but you have a lot of apologizing to do tomorrow.” Jacob told him, and leaned over the couch to grab the stuff out of Amelia’s hands.

“I know, and I swear I’m gonna make it up to her. I love her so much and I’m gonna do everything I can to make sure she knows how sorry I am and how much she means to me... Mark my words boys I’m gonna marry that girl, she’s too good to let go.” Michael spoke sleepily.

Erik and Jacob glanced up at Amelia, who smiled softly.

“There you go bud, that’s the right attitude.” Erik said, tossing the blanket over him. “Me and Marky are gonna get out of here, why don’t you get sleep.”

Michael nodded and curled himself into the couch, and Amelia met his teammates by the door.

“Thank you guys for making sure he got home safe.” She told them, pressing up on her tip toes to give each of them a hug.

“Hey don’t mention it.” Jacob smiled as he pulled away.

“Take it easy on him tomorrow, alright? Let us know if you need anything.” Erik told her, placing a hand on her shoulder to give her a gentle squeeze.

“I promise.” She told him and the two wished her goodnight before stepping out of the door.

Locking the door behind them, she walked back into the living room to see Michael passed out and snoring softly. Thinking about what he said, she smiled.

They had a rough morning ahead of them, but she just knew... they were gonna be okay.
♠ ♠ ♠
This turned out longer than I expected. *shrug*

Hope you all liked this! Comments are much appreciated:)

Final part of Michael and Amelia’s story coming soon!