You Leave Me With a Dangerous Taste

Three

Mr. Gaskarth had given me a key on my second day already. He claimed that he trusted me completely--which I agreed with but thought was a stupid move on his part because he didn’t know me one bit--and that it would allow me to go outside with William as well. I was fine with receiving the responsibility, making sure to add my key to the designated keychain I had, I just thought it was a little soon. Most families would only give it after a few weeks earliest. Mr. Gaskarth really was a strange man.

Since I had now received a key, I also no longer had to play around with the doorbells, trying to find out which one to use in which case. Instead, I could just enter through the gate if need be, and open the front door without a hassle. I wasn’t exactly sure if Mr. Gaskarth wanted me to announce when I came inside, but I was assuming that he would be finishing off in the kitchen. I just hoped I wouldn’t accidentally scare him by sneaking up.

However, when I entered the kitchen, I was met with a different sight than the other days. And, boy, was it a sight. William wasn’t on his usual chair, and Mr. Gaskarth wasn’t standing there to say his goodbyes. No, this time it was Mr. Gaskarth sitting at the bar. That wasn’t what got me flustered, though. He was shirtless. From just the right angle, I would be able to see exactly what I had been fantasizing about just a day or so before.

When he saw me walking into the kitchen, his smile became more inviting and warming. It was like he had expected me to come in now and was ready for it.

“A-- am I early?” I inquired, trying to swallow away the feeling brooding inside of me.

“Nope,” he popped the ‘p’ and took the last scoop of corn flakes still left in his bowl. “I only need to be at work at ten-thirty, so I’m having a slow morning.”

I nodded and quickly looked away, putting my bag up on the opposite counter to make it seem like I was busy doing something. However, I also knew that just standing there wouldn’t look good either. So, while still acting like I was either looking for something or putting something away, I asked, “is there anything I should do? Maybe wake up William?”

“Nah, I checked up on him when I went down for breakfast. He was still sleeping soundly, no reason for him to be woken up yet,” Mr. Gaskarth replied as if he had already expected the question.

The only option he left me was for me to turn back around and look at him. He was still sitting, so there wasn’t much for me to see, but just knowing that I could easily see him was making me burn inside. Just a few inches more, and I would be able to see the muscles I wanted to trace with my fingers.

“How about I clean up your dishes, then?” I suggested next, looking around the place to desperately find something to do.

“Don’t worry about it, I’ll do that myself.” He winked and swiftly got up from the barstool.

Immediately his chest was on full display for me. All the images I had imagined before were washed away as I was met with the reality. Unlike I had hoped, it was even better than I thought. His muscles didn’t protrude much, but just enough for him to look nothing like your average 30-year-old dad.

I gulped as he walked closely past me and to the dishwasher. It was like he was doing it on purpose to torture me. He bent over slowly, the muscles in his back contracting as he reached out to pull out the first drawer to put away his glass and then to put away his plate on the lower level. I was so mesmerized by how every movement was visible on his skin. I could just stare at him for an entire day and be satisfied with my entertainment.

When he stood back up straight, closing the dishwasher on his way up, he turned to me with a smirk on his face. He came a little closer and leaned against the counter just three feet away from me. His comment did not match his seductive behavior. “I’m sorry for making you start so early when I’m still at home. I would love to let you start later, but I never know which days I start late or early except for the day before. I’d rather give you a fixed schedule, you know?”

It was like all I could do was nod in his presence. “Yeah… that’s fine. It’s not your fault your job calls for it. Speaking of which,” I tried to stop thinking about Mr. Gaskarth, distracting myself with thoughts of Jack, but only my recent conversation with him came back to mind, “what do you actually do?”

His smirk intensified. “I do some work for a record label. Sometimes I recruit new people, sometimes I sign people, other times I just do paperwork. Nothing much.”

My heartbeat started racing. Every single time I found a way I could possibly still live my dream of becoming a singer, my body would want me to do everything to get it. However, I knew I couldn’t do anything. I respected the work-relationship I had now with Mr. Gaskarth, I wasn’t going to take advantage of it like that. Plus, if I had actually been any good, I wouldn’t have been a nanny in the first place. He obviously worked for a place that was pretty well recognized.

Before my heart rate could calm down, Mr. Gaskarth made a movement that made me melt inside. He was stood in front of me, standing on his toes, and reaching over me to open a cupboard above me. It was like he had purposely not asked me to move away while he grabbed something.

“Hmm, would you like some coffee too?” He asked me, staying in the position longer as he wondered whether or not to take a mug out for me as well.

My cheeks flushed red as I had a face to face confrontation with the one thing I was trying to get out of my mind. I knew that I would be getting flashbacks to this for the rest of eternity. I could barely breathe.

“I’m fine thanks,” I quickly mumbled, both wanting him to move away as soon as possible and wanting him to never move away. “I don’t really drink coffee.”

“What, no?” he questioned, surprise in his voice as he moved away, still two mugs in his hand. He walked over to the coffee machine and made himself a large cup. “How do you manage to look so awake?”

I shrugged, trying to look anywhere but him so I wouldn’t have to face my distraction and so he couldn’t see my flushed face. “I just drink tea…”

“Tea and beauty sleep,” he nodded and promptly filled the other cup with hot water (also done through the coffee machine), “it’s definitely paying off.”

My blush had barely gotten the time to calm down, and I was already being heated up again. I wanted nothing more than to hide away as he pulled out a random tea bag and threw it into the water. He didn’t even ask what tea I wanted, like he already knew exactly what I would like.

“Well, here you go.” He came up to me and handed me the mug.

As I took my first sip, he subtly moved closer to me. My mug stayed at my mouth as I watched him come closer, not being able to look away from his deep brown eyes. I didn’t know what he was doing to me, but I was in a trance. He sneaked his empty hand up toward my mug and carefully pulled it away from my face. I kept staring at him, hearing my heartbeat in my ears. He didn’t stop coming closer and closer. Our breath starting mixing together, turning into a hot concoction. Just a little further and my fantasy would come true.

But just before the last inch was closed, my first kiss with Jack arose from my memory. We both had been so nervous. Both of us wanted it to happen, yet we were so oblivious to the other’s feelings. Eventually, Jack just mumbled a ‘fuck it’ and was the one who closed the distance like it was an all or nothing situation. It probably was. After that, we were inseparable.

I quickly put my cup on the counter and stepped to the side, carefully choosing my words. “It’s too scalding, I’m going to wait a little bit. I think I’ll go wake William up.”

Without waiting for Mr. Gaskarth to tell me it wasn’t necessary yet, I walked out of the kitchen and b-lined to the stairs to go up to William’s bedroom.