You Leave Me With a Dangerous Taste

Eight

It was another day where I actually got to eat breakfast with Jack. It was a pretty rare occurrence, but he always seemed so excited. Actually, I technically didn’t have to come into work that day. Alex was home. However, that was the exact reason why I did have to come over. He just wanted to let me sleep in for a little while, claiming that I would be tired out in no time otherwise. I was cool with getting another hour and a half of sleep. Of course, I would never be able to fall asleep as soon as Jack woke up, so I just woke up with him.

I had taken a shower and gotten changed in the bathroom before Jack and started making us both breakfast while he was still getting ready. While I would have made pancakes, like I often did whenever I had a late morning, I really couldn’t be bothered this time. I just pulled the jug of milk out of the fridge, picked up the boxes of cereal I knew Jack liked, and placed two bowls and spoons on the table.

I patiently waited for Jack to join me. It was so quiet when the shower turned off. I was tapping my fingers against our fake-wood white table while my legs were crossed, my right foot moving along in the air. It had been a long time since I had to wait for Jack. He was always the one waiting for me. It was strange. I was so used to anxiously anticipating Alex. I was almost prepared to hear the keys hitting the table again.

But I wasn’t at his house. I was in my own home, sitting on my own IKEA chair at my own table. All sounds were caused by the wood from my house creaking. The footsteps were my boyfriend getting dressed in the bathroom with the door locked. Behind me was my fridge quietly humming. This was all mine, nothing at Alex’s was mine. It was all his.

“Morning... again.” Jack grinned brightly as he joined me.

He wasn’t fully wearing his suit yet. He had on his pants, but his shirt was still unbuttoned and his white t-shirt was still visible. His hair hadn’t been tamed yet. It had been such a long time since I had seen his hair freshly blow-dried. I had to say, it didn’t look all that bad. Not bad at all. I just wished he would keep it like that more often instead of always perfecting it for work, just like I always used to love the blonde streaks he no longer had.

God, I was such a sexual human being. I had only gone a full weekend without getting my dosage of Alex and I was already sexualizing my own boyfriend. What had gotten into me?

“Morning.” I smiled back as he gave me a quick peck and sat down. We had already said our greetings when we had both woken up, but there was no other way to start off the day.

After Jack had crafted his own bowl of cereal, mixing two kinds together, he started up our conversation again. “What time do you come back again?” he asked and stuffed his mouth with a spoonful of food.

“I’m not sure,” I shrugged, spinning my own spoon in the milk that was drowning my cornflakes.

“I’m just asking ‘cause we were going to go to the movies this evening. Just checking if I need to have dinner ready or if we can go out and get some.”

“Oh, shit, Jack.” I frowned, dropping my spoon and rubbed my temples. I had completely forgotten. We were going to go to this new movie that just came to the cinema in town; we had planned this a week before. “Alex only had meetings in the evening again. Fuck, I promised him I’d take care of William.”

“Oh…” Jack nodded, looking a little deflated and no longer as glad to be eating his weird concoction of off-brand cereals. “That’s ok. We can go another day.”

“No, we can’t.” I shook my head. I felt horrible, especially since it was all a lie. William didn’t need to be looked after, yet I was still going through with it all. “You already bought the tickets… I-- I can call Alex and tell him I can’t come anymore.”

Honestly, I didn’t want to do that either. On one hand, I felt the need to go to Alex, but I also felt horrible for leaving Jack behind. I had already been with Alex every day except on the weekends,

“No, no. Don’t worry.” He shrugged it off and went back to eating his food. “It’s your job. You can’t do that, you can’t leave Alex with the stress of looking for somebody else on such a short notice.”

Of course he had to make the lying worse for me. “It will be fine, I’m sure he can figure something out.”

“Pays. Really. It’s cool. I’ll take my sister instead. I haven’t seen her in a while anyway. We’ll make up for this some other time.”

“Really?” I felt horrible, yet the thought of seeing Alex made me continue on.

“Really.”

I dropped off Jack at his work, getting some horrible flashbacks to when I would do anything to avoid seeing Alex again, after the night I had lost my virginity. This time, however, I was trying to make sure I got there as fast as possible without speeding. It was pretty difficult. I was pretty sure I was solely ruining the environment with how often I gave gas and had to break again.

When I entered Alex’s house, he was just coming down the stairs. He had either just woken up or just gotten up. His hair was sticking up at all angles, his eyes still getting used to the light, and he was sporting a lopsided grin. What was the most important part for me, though, was that he was shirtless once again. By now, he must have known what effect it had on me, because he was doing it more often than not.

“Nice to see you again,” he smirked with a deep voice, confirming my suspicions that he had just, in fact, awoken.

“Good morning to you too,” I giggled quietly. He was making me so flustered just by being himself.

“Well, good morning might be a stretch. William did just wake me up by jumping on my bed, so…” He stepped off the last step and walked over to me.

“Well, I hope coming here is worth it, because I am missing watching a movie for this,” I teased right back, feeling like his tone was suggesting that he was ‘thinking’ of just having a lazy day and doing nothing. I was not here to take over his job as a father when he was in the house himself.

He pouted mockingly and put his hands on my sides. “Oh, how horrible.”

“Hey,” I warned him, and stepped backward, crossing my arms over my chest, knowing my top was low cut, “I turned down Jack for this. He had this planned for a week, and I just turned it down the day of just to come here and ‘work’.”

“Awe, that poor little fiance of yours…” he said with so much sarcasm. Who knew his mean comments could actually turn me on?

“I’ll have you know he’s pretty tall.”

“As tall as me?” He tried closing the space once again, his voice just a mere grumble as I had to look up to look him in the eye.

“Yes, actually,” I retorted, knowing that this was going to drive him crazy.

“Oh well…” he sighed as if defeated, but he didn’t move away. If anything, the tension increased as he smugly whispered, “you still chose me over him.”

I gasped, cocking an eyebrow at him. “No need to be cocky.”

“All the need to be cocky,” he breathed against my skin before breaking away. “I have to feed myself and William first--he’s waiting for me in the kitchen--and then I’m all yours.”

“All mine?” I challenged with a gulp.

“All yours,” he repeated.

I guess I did have something at this house that was mine.