Your Lucky Stars

Chapter 1

Nothing was better than a hot bubble bath. The warm water resting against her bare skin made her relax instantly. The lightly fragranced bubbles made a soft aroma in the large bathroom as she stretched out

Adrienne Armstrong sighed as she relaxed after a long day in the tub. The oversized tub was her favorite feature in the house and once she saw it while they were house shopping, she was sold. She adjusted the towel behind her head as random thoughts ran through her head.

She needed to buy milk. She had to get her youngest son, Jakob, started on his science project. Her oldest son, Joey, had a soccer game tomorrow and it was her turn to bring the team cooler. She had a gynecologist appointment at three tomorrow as well. She also had to start working with Jakob on his lines for the school play.

“How long have you been in here?” Her husband of twelve years asked as he made his way to the toilet. Billie Joe was a well respected musician around the world, an asshole, and hopelessly devoted to Adrienne in everyway possible.

“About twenty minutes.” Adrienne answered as she pushed her big toe into the water faucet.

The toilet flushed and Billie Joe washed his hands. “You feeling okay?” He knelt down next to the tub and flicked at some bubbles.

Adrienne flicked some back at him. “Yeah, I’m just tired. The boys and everything are running me down, you know.”

“Yeah.” Billie Joe lazily danced his fingers in the water. “What’re your plans for tomorrow?”

“I have a lady doctor’s appointment at three and I don’t think I’ll make it to Joey’s game in time for it to start so you have to get him ready, along with Jakob, and get him there along with the cooler, which I will even put in the car for you so you don’t forget it.”

Billie Joe pursed his lips, “I’m not that irresponsible. Just because I forgot it one time doesn’t mean I’m incapable of ever getting it right.” Billie Joe stood up and stretched his arms over his head, they could hear the boys yelling about something downstairs. “I’m going to go check on them and make sure they haven’t killed one another yet.”

Adrienne watched him go and pushed the faucet with her foot to run more hot water into the tub. She stayed in the tub for a few more minutes before eventually getting out, wrapping her soft robe around her body and walking into the adjoining master bedroom.

Billie Joe wasn’t in there so Adrienne took advantage of that time to change for bed and to begin her nightly routine. As she rubbed lotion on her legs, Billie Joe entered the room looking tired and frazzled, “Your kids are insane.”

Adrienne nodded, “Yeah, they get that from their father.” Adrienne rubbed the lightly scented lotion into her legs and noticed her husband’s greedy eyes following the trek of her hands as he laid on the bed next to her.

“You’re beautiful.”

“You’re full of it.” Adrienne put her lotion up and got underneath the covers. “Don’t forget about the team cooler.”

“I’m not going to forget about the damn team cooler.” Billie Joe insisted as he turned off the lamp and joined her underneath the soft covers. “It’s a big yellow cooler with ‘Saints’ written on it in the kitchen. Kinda hard to miss.”

“But you have.” Adrienne mumbled from her pillow.

Billie Joe groaned in frustration, “One time. I forgot it one fucking time and now I’m forever the guy who forgets the team cooler because he’s a dumbass.”

Adrienne snorted a small laugh, “If the shoe fits, buy the handbag.”

Billie Joe slapped her behind, causing his wife to yelp in surprise. “Billie!”

“You started it!” Billie Joe dodged her flinging hand and grabbed the other one while pinning her body down with his. “I love you.” He pecked her lips with his.

Adrienne smiled at him and kissed him deeply. “I love you too. But do not forget the cooler.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Adrienne sat in her car at the soccer field. Her breathing was ragged and her eyes were wet with tears. The game had all ready started, she could see the green and black clad players of Joey’s team running around the field.

Adrienne took a deep breath and rubbed her cheeks to remove the dried tracks from her tears. She dug through her purse looking for her lipstick but her fingers couldn’t seem to find the silver tube for anything from their constant shaking.

She took a series of deep breaths and closed her eyes. “It’s going to be okay,” She chanted to herself as she retrieved the lipstick and applied it with a semi-steady hand. “It’s going to be okay.”

Adrienne got out of the car and hurried to the field, tugging her purse strap back in her shoulder as she went. She climbed the metal bleachers to sit next to her husband. She noticed Jakob playing a few feet away on some playground equipment with other boys his age. Her eyes went to the field to see Joey running down the field and noticed the absence of something important.

“You forgot the cooler.”

“Yeah,” Billie Joe muttered as he turned away from the game to look at her. “How’d you’re appointment go?”

“We’ll talk later.” Adrienne said softly as Joey’s team gained possession of the ball and the fans in the stands began to cheer their children on.

“Adie?” Billie Joe’s eyes widened at her words and opened his mouth to say more but Adrienne quickly hushed him.

“We’ll talk later.”