Your Lucky Stars

Chapter 2

Throughout the rest of the game and through dinner, Adrienne had avoided Billie Joe’s curious stares and questions about her appointment and what she had to tell him. All she would say was, “We’ll talk later.”

“Adrienne, we have to talk. Now.” Billie Joe sat at the stool at the island in the middle of the kitchen while Adrienne wiped down the kitchen counters.

“Where are the boys?” Adrienne asked as she placed a neon green piece of poster board on the kitchen table. “I need Jakob so we can get started on his poster project. Jakob!” She called out, continuing to ignore Billie Joe.

“Adrienne,” Billie Joe started as Jakob came into the kitchen, science book in hand. Billie Joe bit his tongue. “I’m going upstairs.” He muttered as he stalked up the stairs.

Adrienne began writing ‘The Rainforest’ on the top of the poster. “We’ll talk later!” She yelled after him as Jakob opened his book and they began to work on the project together, even though Adrienne’s mind was a million miles away with Billie Joe at the moment.

After the boys were in bed and the lights were out, Adrienne went into the bedroom to find Billie Joe laying on the bed in a pair of pajama pants scribbling in his familiar songbook.

Without looking at her, Billie Joe acknowledged her presence, “Can we talk now or are we waiting for the Apocalypse?”

“You’re not funny Billie.” Adrienne changed her clothes with her back to her husband, but could feel his eyes boring into her back with intense curiosity and worry.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t realize I wasn’t trying hard enough.” Billie Joe snapped his songbook closed and threw it on the bedside table.

“Would you please just stop it! This isn’t about you.” Adrienne snapped as she walked briskly into the bathroom so he wouldn’t see the tears forming in her eyes.

“Yeah, you’re right. It’s about you but you’re not telling me for some reason. What is it?” Billie Joe asked from the bed as he heard Adrienne wash her face and brush her teeth, ignoring his question.

“Holy shit,” Billie Joe muttered under his breath as he turned over and turned the light off, “You’re a fucking piece of work Adrienne.”

After a few minutes, he heard her turn the bathroom light off and the slight dip of the bed as she took her side. “They found a lump.”

Billie Joe’s faux closed eyes snapped back open. He rolled over and sat up, looking at her in the dark room. “What?”

“The doctor found a lump in my breast.” Adrienne’s voice was shaky and there was a faint glisten of moisture running down her face. “They examined it and took some tests. I’m waiting to hear the results. I didn’t want to tell you earlier around the kids because I don’t want them worried. I don’t even want them to know right now, if ever. There’s a chance that it’s not cancerous, but the doctor said it was a slim chance.”

Billie Joe sat there. He didn’t say anything nor did he do anything, he just sat there silently as Adrienne stared at him waiting for him to say something comforting to her. “Billie?”

“When will you know?”

“Wednesday or Thursday.”

“What?” Billie Joe’s voice had taken on an angry tone as he shoved himself out of the bed and began to pace. “They couldn’t even give you a fucking date! What do they expect you to do? Just put your entire life on hold just so you can sit by the phone so they can call you at their damn leisure? That fucking bullshit Adie!”

Adrienne turned the light on and wiped her eyes. “I know it is Billie but that’s all we can do right now. I’m really scared Billie. I’m so scared. My aunt died from breast cancer and it’s in the family,” Adrienne cried openly into Billie Joe’s chest.

Billie Joe wrapped his arms around her and rubbed her back soothingly. He kissed the top of her head and smelled the orange smell of her shampoo. “Shhhh,” His thumb made circles on her lower back as she sobbed into his chest, gripping him with an unnatural force. “It’s going to be okay baby. I promise.”

Adrienne shook her head. “No it’s not,” her voice was muffled from being buried into him, “Billie . . . . . . I’m so scared.”

“I know you are. It’s okay,” Billie Joe’s voice was very calm and soothing as he kissed her head again and led her to the bed. He laid her down and firmly wrapped his arms around her. Adrienne’s sobs had lessened to sniffles and the occasional hiccup, but she was calmer as she laid there in her husband’s arms.

“If . . . . if it does turn out to be malignant. I’ll have to start some form of treatment that day.” Adrienne wiped her face to get rid of the excess tears, “I can’t go in there alone. Please come with me that day. Don’t make me go alone to that place and go through that.”

“No, no, no,” Billie Joe kissed her forehead and pulled her closer to him as she began to get upset again, “I’m going to be with you every step of the way. Plus, baby, it may be nothing. Let’s hope that it’s nothing and everything’s fine, okay?”

Adrienne nodded as she sniffed heavily, “Okay. Just as long as you’re there.”

“I’ll be right next to you the whole time. I love you.”

“I love you too.”