Status: In Progress

Our Story

Reunited

I come back to reality with a jolt and pain in my hand. What was that? Was that a memory? Electricty. Pain. Light. PAIN! My hand starts flaring again. Cassandra is shaking me. “Prisoner! Get up!” She grabs me from under my arm and hoists me up. “Each time the Breach flares the mark on your arm spreads. It will kill you.”

I stare at my hand again. Oh my word. I'm inside the Dragon Age Inquisition game. How is this even possible. I know this story like the back of my... well... hand. But I guess the marks new so maybe not that analogy.

I look at Cassandra. Before she can continue, I interrupt, “How can I help?” My eyes stare hers down. Unblinking she stares back.

“You are the only one we suspect in causing the explosion. And you just volunteered to help us stop it. Clearly you are involved, but if you wish to prove your innocence you must help us seal the Breach.”

With an neutral face I say, “look you may not know me but I swear if there's anything I can do to help I will. I know you have no reason to trust me but I swear I didn't start this.”

Cassandra grunted and grabbed my arm to follow her. I stood up tall. I wont let this woman intimidate me. We walk through the town. I've had little chance to gaze at my surroundings but now doesn't seem like that great a time either. All I can see are the angry faces of the villagers around me. Their scowls deepening as I make eye contact.

Cassandra notices and says, “They have decided your guilt. The need it. They mourn the loss of Divine Justinia and the last chance for peace between the mages and the templars. She and their leaders were killed at the Conclave. These people blame you as many others will as well.”

We keep walking when an ice ball smacks against the back of my head. I grunt forward and whip around to face my attacker. Cassandra yanks on the chain and I'm forced to keep stride with her. I glared at the person I suspected assaulted me, a small sneer creeping up my lips. But I keep walking, I knew I was innocent and in time they will to.

Oh how ironic it would be once that person realized he chucked an iceball at the future Inquisitor. A small laugh escapes me and Cassandra glares at me. “What's so funny prisoner!” My face falls back into my neutral pose and shake my head. It wasn't worth it. Not yet anyway.

We arrive at a fortified gate. “Open the gate!” Cassandra yells. She shoves me forward through the gate. After a few more steps, she turns to me and draws her knife. “There will be a trial, you will not be convicted solely on the fears of those around you. Other then that, I can't promise much.”

She takes her knife and cuts the bindings around my wrist. The chain clanks to the floor. The bindings was tight and my wrists are sore.

Rubbing the life back into them, I ask, “So what happens now?” My eyes drifted up towards the breach. I really wasn't looking forward to this..

“One of the volunteers believes you may be of assistance in closing the breach but it must be tested.” I nod and race along the trail. Keeping close to Cassandra. I knew where we were going but I didn't know exaactly where we were going.

“How exactly did I survive the Conclave?” I ask.

“You and one other fell out of a rift. A woman was standing behind you.” We were running towards a bridge.

I whipped my head towards Cassandra, “Wait? Did you say one OTHER fell out of the rift?” This wasn't how the story went at all. Two people didn't fall out. Who was it? How? Did this person also have a mark? Ugh i'm only here for a few minutes and I already have more questions then I can ask.

Cassandra doesn't get the chance to answer. One of the Breach comets lands on the bridge as we crossed it. Completely collapsing it. A flash of light blinded me and I felt myself go weightless. The feeling of weightlessness disappeared swiftly as my body crashed onto the hard ground. Oh yeah, I remember this part, time to feel all the ouchies! I grunted as my body fell and rolled to the side. Ouch!

Another comet landed in front of us, and a demon sprang forward. Oh man was it ugly. It looked like a dementor and a ring wraith tied into one. But I guess thats a different nerdom. Wait this thing is gonna attack me! Crap! I dont know how to fight!

If I remember correctly though there should be... ah yes! There amongst the debris. Daggers! Oh man I've always wanted to learn how to be a rogue! But now isn't the time. Focus! Demon bad, attack or go dead. I rolled over to the supplies and grab my daggers.

“Stay behind me!” I hear Cassandra say. Pfft yeah right like i'm gonna miss out on my first ever demon fight?! Fat chance. Another comet lands infront of me. And a new demon surfaces. This one is all mine.

It flew forward its claws raised for an attack. I twin my daggers and block its claws. Planting my feet, I spin and kick wildly at it sending it flying. Before it has time to regroup I was upon it slashing wildly at it. It was much faster then I thought though, nearly blocking all my attacks.

Well this is going well. Cassandra then appears beside me and with one swift stroke cuts the demon in to. It gives a nice pop as it disappears.

“Oh good its over, I'm glad that went splendidly.” I smile widely at Cassandra but then flinch.

She's glaring at me with her sword raised towards me. “Drop your weapon now!”

Instinctively I raise my daggers back to ready position. I really didn't want to hurt her. I actually liked her a lot. Tons of respect, but I will defend myself if need be. “Do you honestly think that more demons wont keep popping up? I need to be able to defend myself!”

She glares at me again before putting her sword in its scabbard. “You are right, I can't always defend you. I need to remember that not only did you volunteer to help us, you didn't run when you could have. That is worthy of respect.”

I nod in thanks and place the daggers on my back. We eye each other not quite sure of who will move first.

Taking a step back, “Lead the way then” I'll keep my head down for now. I may know Cassandra's actions, but I need to learn how she thinks. I need to understand her. I study her as we continue down the path. If she notices she doesn't say. But I'm thinking she doesn't notice. She's focused on getting me to the rift and watching for demons. This is gonna be fun.

Continuing down the path, I begin to hear sounds of fighting echoing through the forest.

“Who's fighting?” Ah yes, who is a great question I smirk. I still haven't decided how I'm gonna play this when I get there. I'll just wing it.

“You'll see when we get there. We must hurry!”

Cresting the top of the hill, I can see it. The rift. I can feel its power from where I stand. The mark on my hand flares. Almost like radar, I feel the pulses of power escaping the rift.

I smile a little bit as my eye makes spots who is fighting. That wonderful unwelcomed tagalong Varric and... Solas. Well here goes nothing, time to give these rift closing powers a try! I race down the hill and rolling my shoulder down as tackle a demon. In the same motion, I grab a dagger behind my back and slam down the dagger in the demons face. Pop! Goes the weasel. I chuckle but my first kill victory will have to be later. There are more demons coming through.

I hear the twang of Varrics beautiful crossbow Bianca. I'm gonna have to ask to study that weapon later. Focus! Another demon pops up behind me, but a wave of magic zips past me freezing it. Grabbing my daggers I smash them into the demon's chest shattering it. I see another demon on the ridge. I run after it.

The rocks were big enough to scurry up. I plant my hand on the edge of the ridge and force my body up. Keeping low to the ground a do a wide leg sweep knocking the demon off guard and down into the ravine I just climbed. Realizing my error, I groaned and jumped down off the cliff but it was already up and ready to attack. As I landed I lost my balance and fell over. In perfect timing, the Breach expanding sending shockwaves of pain coursing from my hand. I lean over unable to find my footing. I can see the demon getting closer to me, but I can't move.

Gritting my teeth I scoot back until my back is against the cliff wall. A sword pierces the demon and it pops in my face showering me with demon goo. Thankfully, because of the pain, my mouth was closed. The last thing I wanted to try was demon goo. The pain subsides and Cassandra grabs my hand and hauls me up. There's still two more demons to dispose of. I hobble over to the rift as Cassandra disposes of one demon and Varric the other.

Oh hear it comes! “Quickly! Before more come through” Solas grabs my hand and shoves it towards the rift. Its like no sensation I've ever felt before. I coil of energy comes from my feet, travels up my body, through my chest and into my hand. I'm not sure what I'm more amazed by, the fact that energy is flowing up my body, or the fact that I can see it. It pools into my hand a warm heat spreads. I can feel the wild power striking out but not hurting me.

The energy escapes and flows into the rift. I see it working how it weaves string of magic creating a pattern from one side of the rift to the other. The strings connect to my hand. I see them and grab hold. I yank the strings tight and the pattern closes forming a tight unbreakable knot. With a pop I see and feel the magic strings snapping. They recoil and strike my hand causing pain to flair up. It surprised me and I sink to the ground.

Ok time to decide now, deviate from the story or keep going with it. I think i'm gonna keep going with it, for now at least. I pull my knee up and start to stand. Looking at Solas, I say, “What did you do?” I know who you are I think to myself. I couldn't help but glare. This was not going to go well.

He must have seen my suspicious look because he smiles. His eyes shift from mine to my hand, “I did nothing. The credit is yours.”

Eying him again and then settling back to my hand, “You mean the mark did this.” I respond, keeping my voice as even as possible.

“Whatever magic opened the Breach in the sky also placed that mark upon your hand.” I glare at him. “I theorized the mark might be able to close the rifts, and it seems I was correct.” Theorized my foot you hobo. I'm on to you.

Cassandra walked beside me and grabbed my hand, “Meaning it could also close the breach itself..” I yank my hand out of hers and glare at her. She ignored the look.

“Possibly,” Solas responds, “It seems she holds the key to our salvation.” I make eye contact with him. Studying his face looking for any hints as to what he was thinking. He must have been thinking the same thing for he's staring right back at me. Darned right I'm the key to our salvation. And I'm including yours in there buckoo.

My eyes narrow just a bit. He smiles in return.

“Good to know! Here I thought we'd be knee deep in demons forever.”

Not wanting to miss out on my first chance to banter with Varric, I quip, “Whose knees yours or mine?” I wasn't exactly tallest person around, but I certainly wasn't the shortest. Solas was only taller then me by three inches. Then again he's not exactly normal.

Both Solas and Cassandra laugh.

Varric smiles, “I think I'm gonna like you kid. Names Varric Tethras famous rogue and storyteller.”

“I've heard of you, Its a pleasure to finally meet you.” I smile. Genuinely excited to finally meet THE Varric. I smile and begin formulating plans almost immediately.

“You man reconsider that stance, in time.” Solas interrupts. I send him a glare but he's face remains smiling.

“Aww Come on Chuckles, I'm sure we'll all become good friends down in the valley.” Varric responds.

“Absolutely not. You are no longer wanted or needed here Varric.” I can just feel Cassandra's glare and she speaks.

Turning to face Casandra, Varric says “Have your beady eyes even looked into the valley lately? Your soldiers are losing and losing fast. You need someone of my broad range of talents.”

Solas chuckles and I eye all three of them. Solas turns to me, “My name is Solas is there are to be introductions.” Uh huh, my slight glare still lingering on my face. “I'm pleased to see you still live.”

I sigh, Oh goody. I'm already indebted to you. I have a feeling it wont be the last time either.

“He means he kept the mark from killing you while you slept.” Varric quips.

I look at him and then eye Solas suspiciously.

“Thank you Solas.” I say, not really wanting to talk with him now. I need to formulate a plan.

He smiles at me and turns to Cassandra, “Cassandra, you should know. This power is unlike any I've ever seen.” I roll my eyes and continue glaring at him. “Your prisoner is a mage, but I find it difficult to imagine any mage having such power.”

I was tuning him out but I suddenly perk up, “What do you mean I'm a mage. I'm not a mage! See these daggers on my back? I'm a rogue not a mage!”

Solas turns his gaze on me studying me. I feel energy on me again, not like the breach This feels older, more wild, confident even. I shudder and try and brush off the tingling feeling.

“I'm not mistaken, you are indeed a mage. Possibly a very powerful one.” His studying eyes dont stray from me. Oh this is not good. I'm supposed to lay low around him not be the stupid puzzle he can't figure out.

“Well thats news to me. Oh goody.” I school my face. No emotions dont let him see how worried I am.

“Fascinating. Shall we get a move on then Cassandra” Solas stops staring at me and moves off towards the north. I glare daggers into the back of his head. I have to watch this one very closely.

“Oh wait we forgot someone!” Varric speaks up. Cassandra and I turn towards Varric. Solas turns and looks at me.

“What are you talking about dwarf. There's no one else here is there!” That sounded more like a threat then an actual question.

I have no clue whats going on. “What are you talking about Varric?”

Varric turns his head towards the ruins, “You can come out now Sunshine.” He smiles broadly and turns to study mine and Cassandra's reaction.

We both look towards the ruins when a person steps out from behind some rubble. But this is no human, and certainly no dwarf. It steps into the light revealing...

~~~~~

(Talc's POV)

"Talc?!" The elf woman gasped in my direction. It sounded familiar, like I'd heard it somewhere before but where?

Cassandra whirled on the elf woman, “You know this Qunari! Why didn't you say so sooner? How do you know her! Tell me everything!”

She seemed to be ignoring the woman. Both Solas and Varric were eyeing her intensely.

“Answer me prisoner!” Cassandra yells.

She glared over at the woman, “Shut up would you! Give me a moments peace before you chew my other ear off with all your questions!”

I liked her already. Whoever she was.

Solas' eyes went wide and Varric inhaled deeply. “I knew it, I'm going to love this kid.”

“Talc, is that you?” The little elf asked me again. She seemed to be trying to will it to be so.

As the little elf repeated the name, it suddenly hit me. Talc was the name I'd chosen for my Qunari character the moment before all the madness happened. Right before I'd woken up in that cell. I thought back on everything that happened. They weren't pleasant memories.

I had woken up with my face pressed against cold stone. Fuzzy green moss grew in the cracks, but they were barely a comfort. Opening my eyes, I stared at the wall. There were wet spots dotting the cracks of stone.

Groaning, I pushed myself off the ground. Leaning back on my heels, I blinked and looked around. It took a minute for my eyes to adjust to the lack of light. I was inside a cell. Thick metal bars blocking the only entrance. There wasn't even a window to look outside to see where I was.

The last thing I remembered was watching Melina getting electrocuted. That image still haunted me. And here I was... in a damp, urine smelling hole in the wall. Ugh! What a revolting smell! This cell need to be cleaned or set on fire!

Wait, this cell...in a jail...only criminals go to jail...then why was I? - a sudden wave of nausea more sickening than the pungent stench of the room hit me as my mind tried to grasp the situation. What if Melina was dead? what if the police had come and thought I killed her? It would make sense I was in a jail then.

I tried to calm my racing heart by taking deep breaths as I took in my surrounding again. What the hell kinda jail was this? Moss? Mildewy Stone? Even in prisons there are higher standards of living.

"Eeewww" I inwardly squealed as my hand sunk into something slimy "I really hope that was plant-based." I muttered to myself.

I got up, trying to touch the ground as little as possible. I felt pieces of embedded gravel fall on my face. What if we had been kidnapped after we were both knocked out? Because this certainly wasn't a lawful prison. There would be liberalist hippies up in arms about these living conditions, whining about how murderers and rapists deserve better than their victims...stupid hippies...I wish I could give them the death penalty for being too stupid to live.

I shook my head. No time for frivolous thoughts. I had to get out of here, wherever here was, and find Melina. The moment I stood up I noticed something was instantly wrong. I felt so unbalanced and dizzy. Had I been drugged? Definitely kidnapped! I took a step forward and fell onto the gate. I had no control of my body.

I shook my head to clear it and tried pushing on the iron gate. The door didn't move an inch. "Now what Sherlock?" I berate myself. Too much to hope this was only for decoration.

I lean my head against the metal door. CLINK. My head shot up! Was someone coming? I try to push my head out to look around the bars. CLINK. I felt the vibration run down from the top of my head. I jumped back. No one was coming...the noise was coming from me. Something on my head.

I reached up to pull off whatever it was and wrapped my fingers around a hard, bony thing...a horn? I guess. I tried to yank it off but it was firmly affixed to my head. No, it's growing OUT OF MY HEAD?! I flinched like I'd been bitten every time I touched the horns. Yes, plural. There were two of them sweeping and twisting back over my head and there was no getting rid of them!

I stared at my hands and begin to panic again. Gone was the deep tan of my skin. It had been replaced by pale, leathery, sliver skin. My jaw dropped and I staggered backwards as I rubbed the skin on the back of my hand furiously, trying to remove the stain. What kind of sicko would dip another person in paint?!

I tripped over nothing again! Now I knew what was wrong with my body. I hadn't been drugged. I was standing much, much taller. This was not my body. I was cute and tiny. A perfect 5' when Melina and I had started playing Dragon Age. I was now 7 or 8' easily.

“What happened to me?!” I whispered, panic rising. I felt my face, agonizing over the unfamiliar bumps and folds of skin. I let out an involuntary cry of despair.

“Oh I see you are awake. Welcome to the land of the living.” A deep and brusk voice lifts into the air. I jumped and rushed to the bars, “Who's there?” Across from my cell, I saw a shadow moving.

Slowly it rose and leaned against the bars, arms dangling through the iron rods. “The names Varric Tethras. Master Dwarf, Storyteller, and currently your companion Jail-mate.”

My eyes narrow, trying to cut through the dark and dank, “So tell me a story Storyteller. Where are we?! What happened to us!?" hand grasping the bars, I shake them fiercely. “How do we get out!?"

"Woah, hold up there Sunshine. In case you hadn't noticed I'm here in this jail house with you. Nothing much I can do to help you.”

"Don't call me Sunshine!" I muttered under my breath. "And what do you mean Master Dwarf?! Were you taken too? Was it a mad scientist?! And has he never heard of a frikin' mop?!”

Varric chuckled, “I'm not sure a mop will fix everything in here and I don't know much about mad scientists...whatever that is.”

I took a minute to calm down. I was relived knowing there was another human being in the vicinity. His voice seemed full of confidence despite the situation we found ourselves in. It helped refocus my thoughts. There should be someone else that could explain what was going on.

“HEY!” I bellowed. Hoping my voice would bring a jailer. “HEY! SOMEONE BETTER GET OVER HERE BEFORE I START BREAKING CRAP!”

“A person in your position shouldn't be throwing around idle threats.” A new voice sounded from down the hall. I heard the clinking of metal against the stone.

“Which part sounds idle to you?!” I snapped as the figure emerged from the shadows. It was a woman maybe in her 30's. She was decked out in an armored chestplate. Definitely not standard issue. It looked medieval. It looked like she lived in that armor. A sword hung by her side. Her dark hair was cropped short in a military cut. She spoke with a thick accent I couldn't place. “Come from your Dungeon and Dragons nerd meeting?” I sneered.

“The dungeons are unfortunately dragon free since before my time. Lucky for you.” the woman quipped.

“Ah! Seeker Cassandra! So glad to you've come to visit me again. What will it be this time? The rack? Lashing? Torture by fuzzy kittens? What more precious information do you need.” Varric's teased the woman coming in.

She smacked the bars on Varrics cell, “I've heard enough from you dwarf. You've told your story and I will release you now. Dont make me regret it.” She turned to me, “You, however, have much to explain. In view of the circumstances, I'd rather dispense with the pleasantries and head straight to execution.”

“I DONT EVEN KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON!” I yelled in protest.

Cassandra's lips curl in disdain, “You remember nothing of what transpired? I find that very unlikely. You are hiding something from me! You were at the Conclave! You survived the explosion! These cannot be coincidences.”

My eyes widen. Perfect. They think I'm a terrorist. "An explosion? At.. a conclave?!”

“Do not play stupid. Even you Qunari know what a Conclave is.”

I wanted to punch her stupid, stupid, smug face in.

"Stupid is spouting nonsense without any eviden-!" Qunari! The word caught my attention like a barbed wire in my brain...I knew what that was. It was a race in the game Dragon Age. I had chosen that avatar for myself before the blackout.

Varric took advantage of my sudden confused silence. “I think she's telling the truth Seeker, Sunshine over there looked pretty dazed when she woke up. She has no clue where she is.”

“A trick far more likely. You can't trust a Qunari.”

“Seeker Cassandra! I bring news.” Another voice drifted down the hallway. A man came into view. But this really wasn't a man, he was... an elf?!

I leaned against the bars and slapped a hand to my face. This was becoming more and more surreal. I had to be in a drug-induced coma. There was no other rational explanation.

"But of course," I muttered to myself. Of course there would be an elf walking down the dungeon. He was tall, but not taller than me. Pretty slender. Typical of an elf I guess. Not that I'd seen any to know but I guess my brain was pulling from the only reference I had from watching the The Lord of the Rings. All the elves in that movie were tall. Unlike those elves, His head was perfectly bald. Was he really old or just making a fashion statement? His clothes were boring and simple. A plain green tunic, pants. Boring to look at. I felt instantly annoyed.

Why couldn't this be an Assassins Creed dream? I would've loved to meet Connor and fight the revolution. We'd've made a good team, I thought dreamily to myself.

“Ah I see your Qunari prisoner is awake.” The Elf continued. His voice was studied and careful. It snapped me out of my day dream. Another annoyance. His blue gray eyes drifted towards me. Eyeing me up and down.

"Take a picture CueBall!" I snapped "It'll keep your eyeballs inside your head longer." He huffed a little, clearly unimpressed. "I sense no magic energy or residue from her. It is mostly likely she was caught at the wrong place at the wrong time. ”

“Were you able to stabilize the elf, Solas?” The hardness in Cassandra's voice never leaving. Yep. I was gonna punch her.

“Indeed, she still sleeps. But its possible she will awaken within the hour. Although it is very possible she wont wake up at all. I have managed to calm the mark, as you asked. You should be able to approach without any repercussions.” His voice smooth, calm and serene.

“Good. Take her up to the war room, I wish to speak with her if she awakens.” Cassandra growled.

“You mean you want to interrogate and throw around accusations. Why do I suspect itd be better for her to stay unconscious.” Varric quiped.

Cassandra took a moment to kick at the iron bars. Varric stumbled out of the way but laughed at the seekers display. She turned back toward Solas, “Go back to the rift see if there is any way for you to close it. A Fade expert like yourself should have no problem doing that. ”

Solas' eyes glisten for a moment, before he nodded and turned to leave.

“As for you Varric, you make take your leave. Go with Solas if you wish. I dont care much what you do now.” She fumbled for the key and inserted in into the lock.

The gate swung open and I got my first unobstructed view of my jail-mate. Melina would've loved this. He was an actual dwarf. A real-life (in my coma life anyway) dwarf! I had the feeling if Melina were here, instead of me, she'd die of extreme happiness. But this was my coma, "maybe she is the dwarf." I chuckled to myself.

“So kind of you Seeker. What will you do with the Qunari?”

“That is none of your concern Varric!” Her eyes narrow. She turned on me like a crabby cat, “You will remain here until I have need of you. Best make yourself comfortable, I may be awhile.” Cassandra smirked.

There was a pebble on my cell door. I flicked it at her face with a bored look in my eyes. SMACK. Dead center between her horrified, stupid eyes. “HOW DARE YOU!" She screamed drawing her sword.

I step away from the bars.
“Yeah, come in here and get me.” I thought, suddenly giddy with the idea of a fight. “I'll wreck you and escape.” I'd taken enough Aikido classes to know how the deal with her.

“You should let her go Seeker." Varric said, stepping between her and the bars that separated us.

"She's an innocent in all this mess.”

“I said the prisoner will stay here and I mean it. Varric! I want none of your interference. Just go to the rift and get out of my hair!” She threatened.

Another man ran up to Cassandra. This one was human. “Lady Seeker, the elf is beginning to wake up. Liliana says to hurry.”

Cassandra bellowed in frustration and begrudgingly sheathed her sword. She stomped up to my bars and thrusted her face forward, "You are lucky, Qunari, that I have other matters to attend to, but there will be another time and you will beg my forgiveness on your knees!"

I jumped forward to meet her challenge. Throwing myself against the bars, nearly nose to nose as I glared into her eyes, "Bring it, TinTin." I snarled.

She sneered in disgust then turned on her heel and stormed off with the human close behind her.

Varric turned a big grin on me, “Want to really piss off the seeker?”

"Was that her in a good mood?" I asked trying to bring my new horns past the bars.

Varric's eyes glisten with mischief, “I think you'll be safer if you hang out with me. I'll keep an eye on ya until you get your memories back. Alright Sunshine?”

"Dont call me Sunshsine. Whatever you say, Shortcake." I muttered. Of all the memories locked away in my subconscious and of all the childhood nicknames I hated the most he HAD to pick Sunshine....

He laughed "Shortcake! I like it! You and I are going to get along just fine."

I had to admit I really liked his laugh. It was deep and came straight from his soul.

He took out a lock pick and easily opened my cell.

“Were you able to get out of here this entire time?!” I yelped.

“Of course, but then I wouldn't be able to annoy the Seeker. And wheres the fun in that.” He grinned wide, “Now come on, lets go catch up with Solas.”

I was keeping a close tail on Varric as he led us away from the dungeon. We climbed a dozen flights of stairs. I soon heard the sound of chaos above our heads as we cleared the final landing.

We'd stepped out onto a high wall over looking a vast plain. It would've been a beautiful view had it not looked like a portal straight to hell.

The sky was unnaturally stormy and black. It swirled around a vortex of toxic green light. Everything around us was bathed in that sickening glow.

On the plains below us, large groups of soldiers scrimmaged with strange creatures that seemed to come plummeting down from the vortex like evil, green shooting stars. I couldn't tell what they were. I didn't want to know either.

The wind howled like it carried the death cry of a world lost. It chilled me to my soul. Maybe this was my subconscious madness. Soldiers frantically ran across the wall, ordering a call to arms.

Varric turned to me and laughed. How could anyone laugh in a place like this? He put his hands on his hips and inhaled deeply, finishing with a contented sigh. "Looks like everyone's having fun out there! Eh, Sunshine? You up for a good fight?" He barked happily with a grin that could swallow you whole.
"Fight?!" I cried in disbelief "Down there?! I can't go fight! Are you nuts!?" I took a step back, "Who the HELL are we supposed to be fighting!?"

At that very moment a massive smoking green Comet came crashing down from the vortex. It was a precision strike. All the soldiers along the wall were massacred in an instant.
The force of the impact flung me over the edge as the wall began to crumble. I was too terrified to scream.

I managed to grab onto a wooden beam that had been uncovered by the force of the blast. It teetered dangerously under my weight.

I had to move fast! With a strength I didn't think I had, I pulled myself up by my fingertips. Grunting with the effort, I managed to pull myself up and leap back to solid ground before the beam slipped out of the wall and tumbled to the earth far below.
With the adrenaline still pumping I couldn't help but think I would've totally owned at Assassins Creed.

Varric was dusting himself off. "Don't go dying on me just yet, Sunshine."

"Not a chance Shortcake." I heaved.

Back on the remaining wall, the comet was embedded in the pathway. We hadn't even begun to think of a solution before the comet cracked open. What could only be described as a demon lept out of it. It was huge, hideous, too horrible to even describe.

"Bring it on!" Varric hollered, his crossbow in hand. He sent a few bolts into the demon. He bent down to pick up a weapon from one of the fallen soldiers. He lifted and quickly threw it at my feet.
“Oh Crap!” I thought, reaching out to stop it on reflex. I'd never be able to lift this! I bent down, ready to struggle against its weight. To my surprise, it was incredibly light. I nearly fell over picking it up.

I found my footing again and swung it. I could swing it all day. I shook my head. Of course I could. None of this is real. I'm in a coma. Melina is a dwarf. This probably isn't even air I'm breathing.

The demon roared.

“That means you're not real either.” I thought narrowing my eyes at it.

"You are my vanguard!" Varric said firing his bow at the creatures eyes. As the demon lunged for me with outstretched claws, I sidestepped ever so slightly.

I never thought I'd get a chance to use what I'd learned in Aikido. This was exciting.
It roared as it missed its mark. Too late for it to turn and too slow to pull back, I hacked off its arm in single blow. It countered with its other arm. I stepped out of the way to the outside shoulder and plunged the sword into its chest.

It howled as it brought its head down, as though it would eat me. With another swing, I lopped off its head. Unfortunately, the headless body crashed down on me before I could gloat.

Varric roared with laughter "Pride goeth before the fall!"

Before he could help me out, the body vanished into dust. "Not bad, Sunshine" he said extending a hand to me.

"Not too bad yourself, Shortcake." I retorted, pushing his hand aside with a grin.
We stood on the wall and scanned the horizon.

"How do we get out of here?" I asked looking over the edge at the pile of ruins that now lay beneath us. I could feel my knees begin to wobble. I had a fear of heights. Well, not so much heights as the falling and dying that usually followed.

It was a long way down. It'd take forever to climb. And the battlefield ahead was filled with more monsters. Could we somehow run away? Or since the madness was in my head, would it follow us until I woke up?

"Well," he said with a shrug "if we can't go up, we must go down."

"Thanks Captain Obvious." This Spirit Melina was kind of worthless.

"Don't mention it."

He put a hand on the small of my back. "Tuck and roll."
“Wha-?!”

He pushed me over the edge and leapt down after me.

I groaned once I hit the bottom. Varric was a psychopath. His feet hit the ground with a thud next to my sprawled body.

“That looked mighty graceful. How was the landing?” He laughed

"Don't worry..." I moaned, " I broke the fall....with my face."

He crouched down next to me,"I thought Qunari always landed on their feet?" He said quizzically. A hand to his chin as he looked me over.

"That's cats." I cursed him as I pushed myself halfway off the ground.
He snapped his fingers ," that's what it was!"

Voices frantically approached us. Varric peeked over the rubble. "Ah! Time to piss off the Seeker!" He patted me on the head. "You stay here till I call you out." I rolled my eyes. I couldn't do much of anything else. "Whatever you say, Shortcake."

It wasn't long before Varric called me out, but by then I could stand. I strode out, not really wanting to see TinTins unbelievably stupid face. I hurt. I'd lost my sword in that tumble down the wall. But I'd let Varric have his laugh.

It wasn't just TinTin, CueBall was there too, acting like some kind of D&D wizard. I bet he'd never kissed a girl. And another Elf. Some girl.

Talc?!" The elf woman suddenly gasped in my direction. It sounded familiar, like I'd heard it somewhere before...where?

TinTin whirled on the elf woman, “You know this Qunari! Why didn't you say so sooner? How do you know her! Tell me everything!”

The elf seemed to be ignoring the woman. Both Solas and Varric were eyeing her intensely. “Answer me prisoner!” TinTin yelled.

Same old, annoying TinTin. I still wanted to punch her in the face after all.

The elf glared over at her, “Shut up would you! Give me a moments peace before you chew my other ear off with all your questions!” The little elf snapped. I liked her already.

I walked towards the ragged little group. I still towered over all of them. "Still think you can make me beg." I snarled at TinTin, cracking my knuckles as I closed the gap between us in wide strides.

TinTin whirled away from the elf to face me. Her sword at the ready.

The elf ran towards me. Reaching me before TinTin could even think of a retort. "Talc? Eres tu hermanita?" Well that just about made me jump out of my skin!

I'd recognize that goofy beginners Spanish anywhere. I turned, desperately seeking the speaker. The elf had inched closer. I was stunned. Suddenly, I remembered why Talc sounded so familiar.
It was the name I'd given my character right before I'd woken up in that cell. I glanced at Varric and back to the elf. Her hand was on my arm now. I'd also picked this body out of a line up of dwarves, humans, elves, and Qunari.

It was possible if I was a Qunari then of course Melina would be an elf! Her rogue elf! Not a Dwarf! Now I was even more confused...what was Melina's elf doing in my coma? Why didn't I know Varric wasn't her? I began to doubt my coma theory.

Obviously I was going mad. Insanity is the only explanation for whatever was happening to me now, surrounded by demons and that crazy group of people coming towards me.

~~~~~~

I saw the recognition flit across the Qunari's face. I had to smile but quickly continued. “No digas me nombre.”

I'm making a big assumption here that neither Solas, Cassandra, or Varris speak Spanish. Mine certainly isn't up to par, but I know enough to get my message across.

“What are you saying prisoner!” Cassandra interrupts.

Ah confirmed, Cassandra doesn't. This is slightly good news.

Switching back to English er... Thedas Common, “Its me Ayla. Do you recognize me?”

“Ayla, you're Ayla. Of course I remember you” The silver-skinned giant didn't seem entirely sure.

“Ayla's a pretty name isn't it Chuckles.” Varric said to Solas. I ignore all of them. Solas is watching us intently. But i'm not surprised by this. Another piece to the great puzzle.

“Que paso? Tu no dueles? Si?”

She took a moment to silently translate what I was asking in my garbled Spanish then shook her head and I'm relieved.

“Todo bien. Nadie te duelen.” I reassure her when she looks at the others. She rolled her eyes at me, I guess she thought it was them that needed to worry about getting hurt.

“I think you're gonna have to lean down now.” I laugh tapping my forehead. That seemed to confim her suspicions. she leans her forehead on mine. After a few seconds I step back and give her a hug.

I can hear Solas inhale sharply, but i'll deal with him later.

“Come on Talc, lets get us somewhere safe.”

“I don't know how true that will be. No where is truly safe.” Varric said. I glare at him and he takes a step back and laughs.

Both my best and worst fears are confirmed. I'm in Thedas during with Inquisition with my best friend who has no idea whats going on.

I'm not gonna say it out loud, but i'm certainly gonna think it. How can this get any worse. Oh right... Solas. That could be worse... Right deal with that later. Breach now. Brooklyn... no Talc call her by this name, I'll deal with Talc later. She should be safe enough for now.

“Lets get this show on the road. We got one nasty Breach to shut down.” I say and everyone grunts in agreement.