Status: In Progress

Our Story

Closing the Breach

We journey up the mountain. The strong winds whipping around us. I forgot how much I hate the cold. Even more so with the cold air buffeting my face. Talc was walking beside me. Guessing where the wind was coming from, I stood on the opposite side of Talc. Effectively using her as a shield.

She glares down at me, "Are you using me for a shield now?"

"Of course. The big body of yours is a perfect wind buffer. Besides you are Qunari you dont feel the cold. Or maybe its colder all the way up there."

Varric snickered at that. "Trust me Ayla its warmer down here as well." I laugh at that.

We approach even more ruins. They scaled to the top of the mountain where the path continued.

"I hope you aren't afraid of heights da'len." Solas smirked.

"Of course not, heights and I are best friends. Its more the falling and splatting that I'm not a huge fan of. I find that most people don't like the splatting part." I counter and quickly scale the rickety ladders.

"I thought Talc was your best friend?" quips Varric. "Careful there Sunshine. You have competition."

"I dont think I have anything to worry about." Talc grunts.

My arms were burning but I pressed on.

"Any ideas where these missing soldiers are Cassandra?" I ask.

"These mountains are littered with mining shafts. They could be anywhere. Let us press on and see if we can locate them." She replies.

We reached the top of the ladders and a carved archway leads to an open room carved into the mountain. My rift radar starts pulsing. "Ready yourselves, I sense a rift ahead."

Sure enough the tingling gets strong and I see the green swirl of a rift nestled inside the room.

Cassandra bellows and charges into the room. Her sword catching the last bit of light before plunging into the room. My twin daggers quickly find their way into my hand and I follow closely behind. Talc's thundering footsteps echo close behind me. Now was the time for her anger to be let loose.

I find the nearest shade and begin slashing wildly. No thought or plan to my strikes. I needed it dead. I heard a familiar twang and the shade I was attack popped.

"Hey that one was mine!" I yelled at Varric.

"Sorry kid, we dont have time for games!" he yelled back.

I grumbled before searching for the next demon. I feel the tingling sensation as a barrier washes over me. It hugged tightly to my body still allowing me to move freely. With this thing on it shouldn't hurt as bad to get hit. Huh, thanks Solas. Its a good thing you are trained in Spirit magic.

Trusting the barrier would hold up against attack, I halt my pitiful assault to thrust my hand at the rift. I see the string of magic connect not only to my hand, but to the demons themselves. I wonder. Dropping the strings that are connected to the rift, I grasp the strings connected to the demons themselves. I hang and feel the string snap. The demons screech in pain and appear stunned.

I take off again and start slashing the next demon. A gray arm smashed through the demon. I look up to see Talc's eyes. A fury there I rarely saw glinted in her eyes. This wasn't at all going how Id hoped. I'm supposed to be the hero, I'm the one who gets to kill demons and theres Brooklyn swooping in to save the day. I'm also the one who has no idea how fighting with daggers actually work. I glare at her and then down to my own blades.

"Is this a new form of combat from your clan da'len? The dancing chicken perhaps? With all the fluttering your arms were making, I'm surprised you didnt make lift off." Solas sneers.

"Oh ouch Chuckles, That wasn't very nice. I thought it was more like a flapping dove then a dancing chicken. Has a nicer connotation doesn't it."

With the last demon killed I seal the rift. I marveled as the strings of magic fused the rift closed. The snapping strings hurt my hand less, but it was still noticeable.

I glare at both of them and put the daggers on my back. Cassandra approaches me, "Do you actually know how to use those things?"

Sighing, "I never learned as much as I should. There were other duties I focused on." I mumbled.

"Stay behind with Talc then. The last thing we need is to have you rushing into a pack of demons in foolhardy bravado." Cassandra motions for me to join Talc.

Dang it. She's right. I'm more of a hindrance right now then anything. Not wanting to admit it though I respond, "I need to be closer to the rift to disrupt it. It will slow the demons down."

"How could you possibly know that?" Solas eyes me again.

Mimicking his early response, "I theorized the mark might be able to disrupt the rift causing the demons temporary separation from the Fade. And it seems I was correct."

Its Solas' turn to glare as he registers my mocking tone. Oh yes, I'm smarter then I seem smart guy. I can see we are totally becoming best friends.

"What do you mean separation from the Fade? They are IN our world now not the Fade." Cassandra asks.

Solas' face melts into a smug answer as he awaits my response. Nope not happening. This is clearly waaay to much information to be giving just now.

"It was something I sensed, so I tested it and was proved correct. Lets keep moving we have people to rescue."

The room was so clogged with mist and residual magic it was hard to get through. A few times I sneezed as I inhaled to much magic. Who knew magic could make ya sneeze. Well put that down in the 'things I learned today' list. A list that was growing longer by the hour.

The mist cleared some and I could see the exit ahead. My cheerfulness at the exit was short lived though, as a few soldier bodies were lying on the ground. I rushed over to check their pulses. "Gone." I glanced towards Cassandra.

"Guess we found the soldiers." Varric sighs.

"Surely it isn't all of them though. Could there be more up ahead?" I ask.

"Our priority should be the Breach. With it still expanding, it wont just be your life in danger." Solas responds.

"Thats my responsibility I know. But their lives matter just as much as mine, even with this mark on my hand. If we can save them we will."

"There lives are not as important as yours Prisoner. You can close the Breach not they." Cassandra replies.

Pfft whatever. I storm off down the trail, now wanting to argue this any longer. Cresting the small hill I cry out, "There! I see them! Its the rest of the men. A rift is nearby quickly everyone!"

Everyone launches into action. Sword slashing, arrows thunking into flesh, spells blasting demons into goo, bellows of rage echoing through the mountain. I felt useless again, but I could disrupt the rift buying them some time. With the last of the demons slain I seal the rift.

Solas saunters up next to me, "Sealed as before. You are getting quite proficient at this. Does it still hurt?"

"A bit, its not unbearable." I respond keeping a civil tongue.

"Thank the Maker you finally arrived Lady Cassandra. I dont think we could have held out much longer." The woman in charge says to Cassandra.

"Thank the Prisoner. She's the one insisted we take the mountain pass." She pointed in my direction.

"The Prisoner? Well, you have my sincerest gratitude." She says.

"The path is clear behind us take the wounded and return to camp." Cassandra motions for the men to leave.

"The path is clear of demons ahead as well, we must head there quickly." Solas says to me.

I nod and continue down the path. We reached the epicenter of the Breach. Powerful magic streamed from the rift up into the Breach. The dull buzz from my hand and turned to a painful ache. Liliana and her archers finally arrived ready to give support. "Thank the Maker you made it Cassandra."

"Place your men along the perimeter Liliana" Turning to look at me, "Now is the time Prisoner. Are you ready?"

"Yes. I'm ready. I need to seal this rift. It is the key. If sealed, It should close the Breach as well.."

Solas eyes me again. Oops hehe. I totally stole his lines there. Then it hits me, yeaaah thats still not staying low and out of his sight. Actually I think I've been painting a giant target onto the back of my head. But that has to wait until that darned thing is sealed.

"Lets go then. Everyone on your guard." Varric pipes up. He takes a few steps forward before freezing.

"Seeker is that red lyrium? What is it doing here?"

I completely forgot about red lyrium. I probably shouldn't as its super important in the Dragon Age world.

"I see it Varric. Though I dont know what it is doing here." Cassandra says worriedly.

"Its evil seeker! Whatever you do, dont touch it!" Varric continues.

Oh that'll be easy. I want to stay far faaar away from that stuff.

(Talcs POV)

Melina definitely knew everything. It's the only reason that made sense for why she threw herself recklessly into battling these green vomit monsters. She clearly wasn't much of a fighter so she must know they are weak creatures.

I'd picked up a sword along the way from one of the fallen scouts we'd come to save. It came in handy racing after Melina to save her from certain death. I wasn't going to get any answers if she got eaten by a Fade monster. I could forget about making it back home for that matter. If she had all the answers, that was probably one of them too.

More hellish creatures burst out of the Fade. The Fade was some kind of interdemensional rift from what I could tell. They were weak but their numbers were overwhelming. As I killed two in the chaos of the battle, a third caught me off guard. Sharp claws ripped through my side. I fell back, the pain taking the breath out of me. TinTin, of all people, jumped to my rescue.

"Dont be so pathetic." She sneered.

I glared at her. There was no one I hated more in this twilight-zone. She raced off to finish the fight. I gripped my side to stop the pain and the bleeding. The blood was sticky already.

I didn't want to be here, doing this. I wanted to go home where no one was dying or fighting. I wanted my own body. We had been on the verge of Thanksgiving break. I wanted to see my mom and my older brother.

I caught a glimpse of Melina almost happily standing under the space tear with Cueball and Varric protecting her. How could she be so happy in all of this?

What kind of person drags their friend into dangerous situations and has the nerve to laugh about it? To make their friend face death and not feel any responsibility to at least explain the why of it?! Why would she be doing this to me?! That's not a friend at all

Once she closed the rift we joined up with someone named Liliana. Once again Melina became the center of attention. Is this why she had me risking my life? So she could play the hero? Had she planned all this? Was she so full of herself that she could sacrifice me so easily?

"Best friends...what a joke." I cursed myself.

I gripped the handle of my sword so hard I felt the leather-wrapped metal bend under the weight of my silent fury.

"Place your men along the perimeter, Liliana," TinTin was saying. She turned to Melina," Now is the time Prisoner. Are you ready?"

"Yes I'm ready. I need to seal this rift. It is the key. If sealed, it should close the breach as well."

She flinched visibly, as though she'd said something she shouldn't have, and gave-what was his name? Solas?- A quick glance like he had burned her. There was something between those two. She seemed to trying to keep secrets from him too. He eyed her suspiciously.

"I feel you buddy." I whispered, sending him a mental hug.

"Let's go then. Everyone on your guard." Varric piped up. I started to follow him. He stopped suddenly and I almost tripped over the handsome, little dwarf.

"Seeker, is that red lyrium? What is it doing here?"

"I see it Varric. Though I don't know what it is doing here." Cassandra says worriedly.

I peered over the ground and noticed red crystals of varying sizes dotting the cavern floor. Some of it was growing up the walls. An intricate network of vein-like tendrils was beginning to form on the ceiling.

"What is that?" I asked Varric.

He put out an arm as if to protect me from the crystals.

"You don't know!?" He was shocked.

"Blow to the head. The explosion." I quickly reminded him. It was a great excuse for not knowing anything. He nodded

"Red lyrium. It's a form of lyrium I wish had never been brought to the surface world. you know how mages need lyrium to replenish the energy? Red lyrium is a strain of lyrium. It's more powerful more intense."

"Well that doesn't sound too bad." I said, shaking off some of my apprehension.

"Oh but it is, red lyrium will drive the user insane. They almost become obsessed seeking more and more power. I have had horrible experiences because of red lyrium. Whatever you do sunshine don't go near it. You might not likely what you become." He finished.

We looked at each other and took a large step away from the crystals. No sooner had we moved, a gravely voice suddenly boomed out, echoing loudly through the ruins, "Now is the hour of our victory. Bring forth the sacrifice."

Weapons flashed as we all stood at the ready, back to back, searching for the unseen party.

"What are we hearing?" TinTin asked.

I glanced at Melina. She gave me a bewildered glance and a shrug. She was at least pretending she was as lost as I was at the moment.

"I know you know." I muttered quietly under my breath.

"At a guess, the person who created the Breach." Solas answered.

"Someone help me!" A woman's scream bounced off the walls.

"We have to hel-" I started

"What's going on!?" I was interrupted by another voice. My voice, but not mine. I swore it sounded just like me but coming from somewhere in the ruined caves.

"Let her go!" That was definitely Melina's voice. I took a step toward the origin of the echoes. How was this possible?

"How-?" I was stupefied. Completely befuddled. I stood slack jawed at the cave mouth.

"Echoes of what happened here." Solas explained from somewhere behind me. "The Fade bleeds into this place revealing memories trapped within it."

He turned to Melina, "That was your voice. The Most Holy called out to you, but why?" He peered over her quizzically.

"Run while you can!Warn them!" The woman's voice rang out again.

"We have intruders! Kill them now!" The gravely voice drowned hers out.

(Ayla POV)
As Talc stood dumbfounded by the sound of our voices echoing from the fade, Cassandra whipped me around and grab my shirt collar. Lifting me to face her eye to eye, she yelled, "You were there! Who attacked?! And the Divine! Is She...?"

" Get your hands off me!" I growled at her, "I told you already I don't remember what happened!"

Solas comes to my rescue, "The girl has already explained she doesn't remember. This offers us some clues."

Turning his gaze to the rift, "The rift is temporary closed. The Prisoner should be able to open it and seal it properly. However, this act will likely attract attention from the other side."

"Demons. Everyone prepare yourselves." Mentally preparing for what comes next. All the men who joined us draw their weapons. Many arrows and swords prepared to sing together in glorious battle.

I look to my hand and see the tendril of magic swirling. My eyes follow the tendrils of magic up to the rift. A knot of magic string hangs loosely. I grab at the strings keeping the rift closed. I yanked the strings down. It wasn't difficult they barely held together. As they snapped, I felt a powerful energy ripple from behind the rift.

A giant arm thrust through the rift yanking the string from my hand. He grasped the tendrils and thrust them wider blowing the rift bigger then before. I hear Cassandra bellow and charge towards. The rest of the arm follows and a horned head protrudes out from the rift. The demon screeches a deafening sound. His enormous body rolls out of the fate just as Cassandra reached it.

"Everyone attack! Dont let it's energy whip hit you!" I scream out. Right as I speak electricity crackles in the air. A long whip snapped in the air. It cackled. Cackled! A shiver ran down my spine. Arrows began

But I freeze staring up at the Breach, I see the energy building up for another pulse. I roll my eyes, "You've got to be kidding me. Talc! Help me!" The Breach exploded and the pain was much worse then previously. Talc rushed over and scooped me up. Running for the nearest bolder she leaps up and hides behind the rock.

"Are you ok Melina?!"

"Dont... Call.. me that... Lyn!" It was difficult speaking with pain coursing through my body. "They... wont... understand!"

I prop myself up to watch the battle. I pick out Solas. His staff twirling faster and faster. Spells flying out of the end striking true every time. Cassandra's fury was matched by no one else. Sword hacking leaving deep gashes up and down the demons arm. I cast my eyes on Varric. For a dwarf he was incredibly light footed. I needed him to teach me.

The pain subsided. Standing up I turn to Brooklyn no.. Talc, "Stay here I'm going to disrupt the rift and come back." I rush forward and grabbed hold of the strings attached to the demon. These strings are much sturdier then the rifts. Harder to pull. The demon feels my tugging and immediately focuses on me. His steps send thundering shockwaves through the ground. Still holding the strings I scream! Using the anger built up from the days events to fuel my strength, I snap the strings in half causing the demon to shriek again. Its piercing sound force me to my knees. "Quickly while its down. Full on attack everyone!" I yell.

The flurry of attack increases but it continues to step towards me. Legs booming into the ground inching closer and closer. "Get outta the way!" Varric yells. Panic grips me and I freeze. I feel the electricity whip crackling in the air. The monsters eyes focus soley on me. It launches its whip and it coils around me sending electricity coursing through my body. I'm really getting tired of these full body pains. So not a plus in coming here. But something snaps inside me.

I look down and I see a coil of threads wrapping around my body. The deep blue threads are laced with silver flecks. I look at my hand, the blue threads fade into beautiful green and white threads. The mark, of course. I grab the blue cords and direct them at the demon. Lighting crackles in my eyes as I shot a massive bolt of lighting into the demon's belly. The monster shuddered and gave a pop once again showering me with demon goop.

I still felt the surge of energy and with the demon gone I had to seal with rift. Grabbing the threads, I pull them tight. This fights worse then the demon did. Yelling I pull harder. The strings slowly collapsing together. I'm going to do this! But an end to it right here! Right now! Aarrrrgh! The strings synch together. A powerful explosion rocks the heavens sending me flying backwards. My eyelids feel heavy and a black haze creeps around. I try to stand up but dont get very far. I'm so very weak.

"Ayla!" I hear someone cry. I can't quite tell who it is. I hear Lyn's voice. I can see her leaning down and putting a hand on my arm. I blink and roll my eyes around to see Solas leaning down next to me. "Ca... ou... ear... me? ...yla..." I lift my head up and the world is spinning. I catch the worry in his eyes before my eyes roll back into my head and I blacked out.