Status: In Progress

Our Story

Qunari Rampage

I woke up on a soft bed. My whole body ached with even the slightest twitch. It felt like I had a full on workout for the entire day, and now I was suffering the consequences. I groaned and slowly opened my eyes.

I was lieing in a bed inside a scantly decorated cabin. The fire was burning brightly and even with it going and the fur blankets on top of me, I was still comfortable. Wait a minute... fur blankets?! I hated fur!! but then again, that was in my world... I'm sure the furs here weren't collected without having to murder thousands of animals purely for their pelts. I sighed and flipped onto my side. A small table and chairs placed infront of the fire. A little vase sitting on the table with a few flowers on it.

What happened to me... well to Brooklyn and I. We were going to play the game and suddenly we are IN the game?! How does stuff like that even happen! So now we are two humans living as Qunari and an Elf in a world full of magic, swords, demons, and the real likelyhood of a grueling and painful death. Oh yeah, this was gonna be great. I mean magic and swords are awesome! Dragons as well, I gotta see me one of them. But demons, dieing, and ya know... not going home. That part didn't sound so awesome.

I pulled out my hand and began to study it. The threads that danced around my hand were small and stable. Not nearly the chaotic mess it had been earlier when I closed the Breach. Well, not sealed it just shut it. Then there was that lightning I shot at the Pride demon. That was a weird sensation. I could feel the power and the tingling leaving my fingertips. I remember feeling angry, the need to stop the demon and close the rift. The threads around my body responded to that need. I looked at the rest of my arm, the threads were gone. I bet its because I no longer have need of it. How odd.

I pulled the blanket tighter around me. What were we going to do? We couldn't just come out and say, oh yeah we are actually humans! I can predict the future and I know all your little secrets. Muwhahaha. I was thinking of Solas specifically. He was most likely to figure us out, and I didn't want to risk that. I dont know what he would do if he knew that I knew. Would he kill me? Run away? Neither of these seemed like really great options. I kinda liked living I still need to understand what his actual plan is. The game never got that far.

Varric was smart also, to observant. Ugh, I really really hated lieing. But I really dont see any other alternative. Tell everyone the truth, or not. Do or do not, there is no try. If I didn't tell them the truth, I risk their anger if they ever found out. I had to hold on to a cover story with Brooklyn's help. Speaking of Brooklyn, I really need to talk to her and fill her in, make sure she's ok. She'd been following Varric, Cassandra was none to pleased that she came along.

I finally decided to get up outta bed. Things weren't going to get any easier with me just lieing here. I needed to find Brooklyn.

I did my best impression of a mummy rising. Closing my eyes, I shot my arms straight out in the air and rising from the chest keeping the arms straight out. I smirked at myself before I heard a crash.
I opened my eyes to see a wooden box smashed on the floor and an elf woman standing there. Well thats one way to scare the snot outta someone. I laughed.

“I'm sorry I didn't know you were awake I swear!” She sounded almost panicked.

“Hey dont worry about it, my little routine just not probably didn't help. I swear i'm not really a mummy.”

She just looked at me quizzically before falling on the floor into a bow before me. “I beg your forgiveness and your blessing. I am but a humble servant!”

I was taken aback, there was no way I was gonna let anyone bow down to me. “What are you doing?” I asked calmly.

“You are back in Haven, my lady. They say you saved us. The Breach it stopped growing.” She said ignoring my question.

“I know, I was kinda there.” I laughed, “Now please, get up. No one bows to me, ever.”

“But my lady!” I wouldn't hear another word, I got out of my bed and mimicked her position on the floor. It hurt... like a lot. My body groaned and shivered as I made my way down to the floor. But this was important, she would not bow to me.

She sqweeked, “My Lady! Please! I am just a servant!”

I smiled and looked into her eyes, “Well, just a servant, will you tell me your name?” She blinked and sat back on her heels, “My name is Taran. My lady.”

"WHAT are you doing?" We both jumped as a long shadow swept over us both. Talc had stooped into the room -the doorway being too small for her-and stood over us, apparently breathless, her voice harsh for the lack of air.

Varric sauntered in behind her, a gleeful glint in his eye as always. It made me happy to see them together. Talc needed someone to take her under their wing if we were going to get through this.

"Talc! Varric!" I scrambled to my feet despite the pain. I was happy to see her.

“'How ya doing, kid!" Varric gave me flash of his wide grin. He seemed to be having an awfully good time doing...whatever it was they'd been doing?

Talc looked ragged. She gave me an exhausted smile but it faded quickly as her eyes came to rest on Taran. "Enjoying your role playing the hero, I see." She spat bitterly

I looked back to see Taran still on the ground trying to make herself smaller to avoid the Qunari's gaze. I puzzled at her quickly. "What are you talking... “ Realization dawning on me, “I swear it's not what it looks like." I quickly said.

"IT'S EXACTLY WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE!" Talc shouted furiously. Not good. What is her problem? It was way to early in the morning for this. Taran scrambled to her feet.

"I thought they'd thrown you in the dungeon! Do you know how long I've been looking for you?!?!!" She closed the distance between us in a single stride. Anger coming off her in waves.

"The whole city is in an uproar about you! 'Chosen one' 'Savior' 'Criminal!' I don't know what's going on! Next thing I know Cassandra's made off with you and I'm scaling walls to rescue you and here you are GETTING WORSHIPPED!!!!?" The angrier she got, the faster she talked.

"Woah! WOAH! Take a breath Talc. I have NO idea what you are talking about!" I said waving my arms, trying to stop the barrage of words. "Why didn't you just come through the front gate and ask where I was?"

Talc glared at me then looked away and barked a cold laugh through clenched teeth. "They wouldn't let me see you." She hissed.

“After you passed out they took you away from me! Do you even know what they said to me? No filthy Qunari can touched the 'blessed' Herald of Andraste.” She said using air quotes. “They jumped on horses and took off, leaving me to wander to snow-covered forest ALONE for hours! By the time I found this dump they call a town, the guards wouldn't let me in! 'The Herald would never associate with the likes of you'.” She mimicked them.

It was then I noticed her hands. The sliver skin was splattered with bright crimson streaks. She noticed my look of growing concern and snatched a towel from the nearby dresser. "It's not mine." She said wiping the blood away without meeting my eyes. She never liked being violent in front of me when she was just 5' Brooklyn. Seems she liked she cared even less as 7' Talc. She almost looked ashamed. Almost.

"But seeing as you're being waited on hand and foot, I guess I broke that guards nose for nothing." She threw the rag at the maid, who stifled a squeak of horror at the sight of the blood. I had a sneaky suspicion she did more than break his nose.

“I'm not being worshiped. You are misinterpretting... this.” I said as I twirled my fingers between the elf and I.

After one final look at the maid, I focused intensely on Brooklyn. This world is changing her. I couldn't let that happen. What kind of friend would be if I let her change into something else, something dark.
But turning an eye to Varric. I knew I couldn't. No one can know who we are.

"Wounds on behalf of your friends are never nothing." Varric piped in " it was quite a show, I tell you." he sang happily with a wink in my direction.

I gave a pointed glare towards Varric. Don't encourage her, I thought.

“And how are YOU involved in this nonsense Master Tethras.”

Talc rage escalated again but Varric put a hand on her arm and she calmed down, “I was coming back into town when I found Talc... A bit preoccupied... I took her round the back and helped her scale the wall. Probably wouldn't be to smart to have her use the main entrance after that little stunt.”

I was beginning to rethink my assessment of him as Talc's mentor. Thick as thieves more like it. But Talc grew visibly calmer as his voice filled the room. Something caught in my throat. Talc was supposed to be my best friend...she was nothing but furious with me, but with Varric. Had I really hurt her this much? That she wouldn't even listen to me anymore? I swear Talc I'll talk with you just please be more patient. I shot her a look trying to telegraph my meaning. If she understood it she ignored me.

"M-my Lady." Taran stammered, reaching a tentative hand towards me, towards safety. “If My Lady permits, I'm certain Lady Cassandra would want to know you've awakened. She told me to tell her 'At Once!"

"I want answers!" Talc cried, sensing her opportunity fleeing.

“I guess I should go and see her then, is she in the Chantry?” I asked Taran, ignoring Talc's outburst.

Now was not the time. I tried to tell her with my eyes again. She seemed to tell me a few choice words with a glare of her own.

“Yes my Lady is with the Lord Chancellor. I'll let her know you've awakened! At once!” She bowed low before running out of the cabin.

Talc grabbed her arm before she cleared the threshold. I thought Taran would faint. "You tell her 'ladyship' the precious Chosen One will be along shortly and you will say nothing more about me. Understand?" Talc's voice was calm and level. "Or I. will. Find. You."

The gentleness in it didn't make it sound any less threatening. Taran nodded as a tear seemed to form in her eye.

“Best that way.” Varric nodded, “Guards are probably still lookin' fer ya.”

"Get your hands off her Talc!” I stepped in between the elf and the Qunari. “Shes an innocent in all this. You are angry at ME NOT her! So leave her alone!” By the time I finished I was nose to nose with Talc, neither of us backing down. Talc's arm shuddered. She was holding back a rage-punch for sure.

Snorting air through my nose, I turned around to find Taran trembling on the floor. Fear so wide her iris' were completely dilated. I knelt down beside her just managing to stifle a groan. “Hey sssshh, sssh. Its ok now. I promise you I won't let the Qunari hurt you.” I reached out and stroked her shoulder. “Look at me. Please Taran.”

She made eye contact with me for a brief moment before flitting back up to Talc. A new wave a fear surged from her and she forced her gaze down.

My own anger becoming evident, I turned my head to glare at Talc. She was a boiling volcano of rage, but she held back.

Turning back to Taran, “Please, I wont let anyone hurt you. I swear it. You've really help me out this morning and I'm so very grateful. Now please, go and tell Cassandra I'm awake.”

“Lady Herald, I'm just an elf. I'm unworthy of thanks from one such as you.”

I sighed, “No one is unworthy. Ever. You've helped me and I'm grateful. In case you forgot, I'm an elf also.” I pointed to my ears and her eyes went wide.

"OH FOR THE LOVE OF- ARE YOU FOR REAL?!" Talc bellowed. She reached over me and grabbed Taran by the back of her blouse, who let out a shriek of terror.

"JUST GET OUT ALREADY!!!" She yelled throwing her outside with barely any effort.

"Talc! What the Heck!" I screamed as Taran landed in a heap in the dirt ,"She needs to know I'm on her side!"

I tried to rush to Taran's side, only to have a massive hand shove me backwards into the room. I nearly tripped as my weak legs fumbled.

"Her side!? HER side!? I'M your Best Friend!! How about being on MY side and telling me what the HELL is going on! OR IS THAT TOO FAR BENEATH THE GREAT HERALD?!"

Glaring at Talc, “This isn't the time, Talc!" I said, getting frustrated. Taran was already long gone. I tried to squeeze passed Talc again. She gripped my tiny wrist in her hand. It felt like it would shatter. Our eyes locked again. Rage oozing out of both of us.

Without releasing my gaze, she addressed the dwarf. "Varric. This is between old friends. Honor me with a favor and see to it that no one approaches the cabin, could you."

"After all you did to get here, it's the least I could do." He said.

Thick as thieves indeed! I made another move to follow Varric out and Talc slammed the door so hard behind him, the cabin shook like a hurricane was assaulting it. I stepped back as she leaned her full weight against the door.

I was now trapped in a room with a 7 foot angry Qunari. Worse, I was furious as well. I really hope this furniture is easily replaced.

She turned back to me and looked me dead in the eyes.

"I'm tired," she began softly, so softly I had to lean in to hear her even with elven ears, "I'm tired of running around this god-forsaken nightmare without a clue. I hate getting thrown into life and death situations and not knowing why." She pushed off the door.

I fumbled with the words to say but she continued anyway.

"I'm sick of demons. I'm sick of running. I'm sick of that swirling death cloud in the sky." Her voice was getting steadily louder as she stalked towards me.

"I'm sick of feeling like I've lost my mind!" She was shouting now,
"THERE ARE HORNS GROWING OUT OF MY HEAD, Melina!!" She said pointing violently at the twisting ebony spikes sweeping back against her snow-white hair.

Almost without thinking I rushed my hand up to her mouth and covered it. "Shhhh! Brooklyn! Someone will hear you! We need to keep our names secret!!"

Bad idea. It made her angrier. Yanking her head away and towering over me " But most of ALL, I'm SICK of being jerked around by YOU!!" It was nearly a shriek.

She grabbed the flower vase on the table and shattered it on the far wall. It just barely missed my head.

"You think you're the only one being affected by all this!? You think your life is the only one that matters because you're the FREAKING HERO??!!" She punched a hole in the cupboard.

I backed away as quickly as I could. There would be no talking with her like this. What is her problem?! Even back on earth she never broke things like this. Why was she acting like this?! “I do care about whats going on! That's why I'm still here and taking this abuse from you! Do you honestly think I WANT to be here?!”

"YOU LOOK PRETTY HAPPY TO ME!” the only chair in the room met a violent end.
“I want answers and I want them NOW!" She slammed her fist on the solid oak table. Deep cracks ripped through its surface, threatening to shatter under her juggernaut might. “Where are we? Why is everyone so angry at us? What is that thing on your hand? And why THE DEVIL DO WE LOOK LIKE VIDEO GAME REJECTS!!!!?" She grabbed me by the shoulders. Her fingers pressed deep into my flesh, threatening to tear me in half. I gritted my teeth at the pain.

I couldnt think. I can't tell her here! There are too many people! She's already screamed here head off someone was bound to notice! Why Brooklyn why couldn't you just be patient for once in your life!

Her grip tightened even more. “SAY SOMETHING!” She shouted inches from my face.
She really was going to break me in half!

I let out a small cry of pain and panicked. "Because we're in the game!" I yelled, hoping she could hear me over her blinding fury before she decided to use her fists on me. It seemed to stop her in her tracks.

~~~~~

(Talc's POV)

The insanity of what Melina had just said hit me like a ton of bricks. "We're 'in' the game?" I repeated. I let my hands loosen just a hair. I visible saw the relief in her eyes.

"Yes! Yes! We're inside the game! I don't know how. I dont know why. But thats why I know what's happening. That's what that flash was at home! I've been running around smashing demons and having pain course through my body, I haven't had time to even consider thinking about how to get out!"

Madness. It finally happened. I have officially gone insane, I thought. But I decided to accept that answer, why not, it explained everything. I lost track of what my hands were doing as my thoughts drifted. They dug into Melina's shoulder more then before.

"Brooklyn! Ow ow ow oooow" Melina slapped at my hands "you're hurting me!"

I came to my senses, I had completely forgotten. I let her go and she fell backwards. "Oow" she stated glaring at me, rubbing her shoulders. I saw the look of pain on her face. But I didn't care. She deserved it.

"Sorry." I said, not really meaning it yet. I was still mad. I mulled over what it meant to be sucked into the game, into Dragon Age. Not a freakish parallel universe like I'd suspected, but a digital one.

I held out my hand to my friend. I still felt betrayed. She'd sat on vital information while I was going out of my mind. She'd dragged us into danger while keeping me unprepared and in the dark.

"You almost died, Melina.” I said as she took my hand.

She jerked her head up and stared at me. “What?”

“After you closed that demon gate. You passed out. Covered in so much blood. It was such a mess around you. CueBall carried you down the mountain. They wouldn't let me see you.”

Understanding seemed to finally flood her face. “I'm sorry Brooklyn, I knew that was going to happen. But I didn't mean to scare you.”

“Is this all part of the game then?” I asked.

“For the most part, yes. Except in the game there is only one survivor from the blast you and I survived. The one who carries this mark.” Melina said lifting her hand to my face to display the mark.

"So that means I'm an extra?" I asked, pushing her hand away.

"I don't know what it means. Maybe it'll change the game, maybe it won't"

I shrugged,"it's not like I'll be able to tell anyway. You're the only one who played it."

A hint of a smile spread across Melina's face, making me want to slap her even more. I restrained myself, the moment for such things had passed.

" I guess you could say I kinda know the future." She smirked

"That's great Magic 8 Ball," I said with an irritated sigh," any of your mystic knowledge get us back home?"

She looked down at her feet,"I don't know...I'm still working that out. I think we have to play the game to get back."

I crouched down and groaned with my head cradled in my hands, "So it's Jumanji without the monkeys?"

"But there's magic, Dragons, and swords!" She piped up.

"Stop being so happy about it, You pointy-eared midget! I look like a demon!" Even if I did think it was kind of cool, Okay, it was really cool, I was still too pissed to admit it.

"Why couldn't you just say it before now?" The edge back in my voice. The tension was back in the air.

"I just need more time to analyze this. I'm afraid of what the others will think about us." Melina began, "They might kill us or at least try to. Look I swear I'll find a safe place and we can talk there. Just please, not here there's too much at stake. I don't want them to hurt you. I have to meet with Cassandra to advance the game."

I gave her a cock-eyed stare. Her enthusiasm was hard to miss. It went beyond just advancing the game. I guessed with her suddenly soaring popularity as the Herald, the temptation to play the Hero would be too hard to resist for a former fly-on-the-wall.

I grit my teeth to fight the urge to break more things.
'At stake,' what could possibly be 'at stake?' What kind of stupid excuse was that? I exhaled sharply trying to release the frustration I still felt.

"Fine." I said moving aside to let her reach the door. "But we are going to talk very soon." She nodded understandingly and with that, I ducked through the door and left.