Status: In Progress

Our Story

Ssssss.... Solas!

Might I escort you back to your cabin? I have quite a few questions for you.” Solas said smoothly.

Oh... poop...

“Of course Solas. I'm rather tired though. I'm afraid I might not offer the most satisfactory answers.”

He hummed his agreement and we walked back towards my cabin. He walked tall and proud, his hands folded neatly behind his back. The light breeze ruffled his knit sweater. I tried walking at a faster pace, the less amount of time I spent alone with him the better. He, however, kept a very steady and even pace. I resisted the urge to roll my eyes and slowed my pace down to better match his.

“I heard of the little outburst your Qunari friend provided this morning.”

“Talc.” I interrupted.

“Pardon me?” He looked at me quizzically. “Her name is Talc, not 'my Qunari friend'. You'd do well to remember that.” The last thing I needed to hear were people insulting Brooklyn. I would NOT allow that! No one insults my friend other than me!

His eyes narrowed, “Forgive me, I heard of the little outburst TALC provided this morning.” He made sure to emphasize Talc's name. Surely to prove a point. Control yourself Melina. He's just looking for any excuse to rile you up.

“I deserved it to be honest. I treated her badly when we were first reacquainted. She was worried for me and I all but ignored her.”

“The rage of a Qunari is quite a sight to behold. I'm surprised you got out unscathed. Few have lived through a Qunari temper tantrum and lived to tell the tale.”

I stopped walking and glared at him, “Talc is no ordinary Qunari!” I heard the bite in my words. I couldn't stop myself. He could insult me all day long but this was starting to test my patience.

“And how is that? All Qunari are the same. They have their role in the Qun and that defines their entire life structure.”

“Talc is Vashoth. It's how we came to be introduced.”

This sparked a hint of curiosity in his eyes. Danger Melina! Danger! Abort! Abort!

“Fascinating” He whispered. Trying to steer the conversation back into familiar territory. “You called me the 'Chosen Hero of Andraste.' Why? You are no Andrastian.”

He chuckled, “No, I am not Andrastian. I am merely refering back to the words ringing throughout Haven today.”

I sighed, “Ah, yes. The mighty Hero of Andraste riding in on a shining steed ready to vanquish her enemies.”

He grinned, “I would have suggested a griffin, though sadly, they are all extinct.”

“A pity in my opinion. I've heard they are quite noble and playful creatures.”

He hummed, “Indeed. Only memories of them yet linger in the farthest corners of the Fade.”

“Then a shining steed will have to do. Now where can I find one of those, I wonder?” I smiled.

“Joke as you will, posturing is necessary.” He continued ignoring my ponderings. “I've journeyed deep into the Fade, ancient ruins, and battlefields to see the dreams of lost civilizations.”

He looked into the sky studying the stars as he spoke, “I watched a host of spirits clash to reenact the bloody past and ancient wars. Both famous and forgotten.”

He turned to look at me then, “Every great war has its heroes. I'm just curious what kind you will be.” Pondering my answer carefully,

“I dont want to be a hero. All I want is to put an end to this madness, to see the joyful and carefree smiles on the faces of those who know little of the feelings that create such smiles. There is much evil here, many wrongs. If I can, I would try and make it better.”

“You are a Dailish elf are you not? Why do you care for the troubles of others not of your clan?” “I have brought much joy to those like Talc. She is not Dailish, yet I care for her as I would my other clan mates.”

“And yet you so marvelously betrayed that trust since you awakened from the Conclave. It was not Cassandra, Varric, nor I that she sought vengeance upon this morning, but you, Herald.”

I felt his eyes boring into me, “I made a mistake, yes. I chose the feeling of duty and a sense of importance over my friend. A mistake I wont easily forgive myself for.” Why was I telling him this? Did I just need someone to talk with? I know he would understand but still. Clamp it up, Melina.

He must have sense my discomfort for he remained silent for a spell. Taking the moment to take charge of the conversation again, “Did I understand correctly that you visit ancient places specifically to find dreams?” He smiled at my question, “Any building strong enough to withstand the rigors of time has a history. Every battlefield is steeped with death. Both attract spirits. They press against the Veil, weakening it. When I dream in such places, I can go deep into the Fade and find memories no living being has ever seen.”

“Like memories of a griffin per chance?”

He hummed his amusement. “That sounds amazing. Truely it does. One can study writings, can look at murals, study architecture or decipher meaningless dribble from a oddly shaped pot. But to witness something in the Fade! you relive actual memories! You can get a more clear picture of what the past was like than any modern historian can guess. To see faces, expressions! Real people experiencing what, to the viewer is history, but to them, it's everything!”

Solas seemed to slow his pace yet again. I slowed to match his again, “Although, much like the texts of today, different witness describe the same event differently. Each their own unique perspective, jotted down on a few leafs of parchment to be twisted by the cruel march of time. The true meaning lost to the mystery of history.” I chuckled at my stupid rhyme.

“A very astute observation. Have you studied histories other than Elven?” I noticed he carefully worded that. “I dabbled a bit. Elven was most interesting but other cultures offered their unique takes. I found it interesting to compare and contrast.” What did I just say? Did I just admit to studying other cultures here? I mean, yes, I have studied a lot of cultures but they were EARTH cultures! Not Thedas!

“How very unusual for a Dailish, your keeper must have been very lenient with you.”

“She let a Qunari join our clan, I find her leniency has already been established.”

“Ah yes, point taken.”

Wait, did he just admit I was right about something? How unusual. “Studying through the Fade is not a common field of study. For obvious reasons. Certainly not as flashy as throwing lighting or firebolts. But finding a 1,000 year old dream? I would not trade it for anything.”

“Will you be staying then?” I asked.

He looked at me quizzically. I was really getting tired of that face, but I continued, “You seem to enjoy the Fade more then here. If I were to guess by the way your eyes just lit up when you spoke of it.”

He nodded, “I will stay, at least until the Breach is closed. Did you doubt my desire to help?”

“No, but I'm sure it wont be easy for you.”

“I am an apostate mage surrounded by Chantry forces and unlike you, I do not have a divine mark protecting me.”

I inclined my head. “This is true. I'm sure Cassandra has been accommodating but I understand your caution. However, you came here to help Solas. I wont let their prejudices be used against you.”

he chuckled softly, “And how would you stop them?”

“However I had to.” My eyes flashed with determination, “No one deserves to be punished for the simple matter of their birth! Magic is not inherently evil, it is a tool one can use to shape the world, or destroy it. People should be controlled, not magic.”

“You would suggest the Chantry treat people like magic? To be inherently feared and stuffed into their confining and perfect boxes.” He laughed, “You ask for too much, Herald.”

“I never said it would be the exact same way. What good is a Chantry that leaves its followers in ignorance? Teach those who cannot do magic to not fear it and, as a result, magic will not be as controlled. People fear what they do not understand”

Solas laughed, unamused. “And what would that do, Herald? You may change the mind of a single person but it will do little in the end.”

A song from a book I read once popped into my head:

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

I spoke the words aloud, allowing the memory of music bounce around my head. As the poem finished, I looked ahead and spoke, “The journey begins with but a single step. And yet thats all it takes to get on the path towards a desired purpose. I know not what may greet me on the journey, but I plan on trying.”

Thankfully, my cabin door was in sight. I put my hand on the door handle and turned it. “Forgive me but I must retire for the night. Goodnight.” I turned back quickly towards the door when I felt a hand on my arm.

“I must admit, I'm at a loss, Herald.”

“A loss?” I was a tad confused. I looked at him over my shoulder. I leaned slightly into the door, unsure of what he would say.

“You stated that you would be unable to give satisfactory answers due to your exhaustion. I shudder to think what you would be capable of when you have recovered.” I saw the twinkle in his eye.

“I guess you'll have to wait and find out.” I smiled but continued before he could reply, “I really must go now. I do need my rest. On Nyde Solas.”

“On Nyde, Herald.”

I opened my door and quickly stepped through. Closing it gently behind me. I watched through my window as he turned and walked away. Was I mistaken or was there a spring to his step that wasn't there a second ago. No, can't be. I'm just imagining things.

I turned towards my bed, my mind reeling. I went over my conversation with Solas over and over again. Had I said the right things? Did I give too much away? I silently cursed myself that I let my mouth wander away from me again.

I sighed and sat on my bed. The candle on the nightstand flickered slowly. Laying low just might be more difficult than I thought.

My eyes flicked towards the door. The only barrier between myself and a world that could easily kill me in a blink of an eye.

I shook my head and tried to clear my thoughts. I leaned over and blew out the candle. Snuggling into bed, I let sleep consume me z