Sick Kitten

Chapter 1

Ryan rolled around in bed trying to get comfortable. Her phone buzzes softly from under the sheets. She reaches into the mass and feels for it.

*Buzz Buzz*

She groans and throws the covers over finding her phone an inch from her hand. Squinting she pulls it toward her face and reads the message.

*Coming thru in five babe. Love you*

She pulls up the covers and rolls into a ball. Her head is pounding and her sinuses are swollen shut. She licks her sandpaper lips and takes a deep breath. The front door jingles softly and he comes in. She smiles under the sheets thinking about his warm embrace. She listens contently as he takes off his shoes and hangs up his coat.

She listens as he stops into the bathroom first. Her giddiness rises in her chest as she hears him turning the sink off from washing his hands. He gently opens the door and smiles at her.

"Hey kitten. How are you feeling today?"

She looks out from the blanket hoard and almost begins to cry. She could not be happier that he's home. He turns his head and mocks a pout and crawls into bed next to her. She adjusts the sheets and pulls herself up against his chest and hugs him tightly. His big hand lands on the small of her back and begins to softly trace her spine up and down. She throws the covers over him haphazardly to create a warm pocket.

"I missed you," she whispers to his chest. "I can barely move my head is killing me."
"Awh baby," he pulls her in close for a moment and kisses her forehead, "I'm sorry. I'm home now though so I can stay with you."

She closes her eyes and warm tears fill her lash line. She smooshes her face into his abdomen and sniffles. He shushes her softly and hands her the half filled water bottle on the end table

"Drink some water, it's good for you."

She reluctantly takes it and drinks some of the cool water. Her throat is scratchy but she feels better. She didn't realize how dehydrated she must have been. She finishes the whole thing and throws the bottle onto the floor. He frowns and shakes his head.

"There's no reason for that. I could have taken it."

She shrugs and hugs him closer. She doesn't care if he's irritated at her. She needs him right now for comfort. He begins to gently ruber her back and shoulders. He pulls her hair back behind her ear and off her neck. She smiles at the small cold air that ventilates her body. He sighs and goes on like nothing has happened.

"I have to go back to work soon baby but I can stay for now. Did you eat today yet? Are you feeling hungry?"

She thinks about food and her stomach growls. She shrugs and closes her eyes tightly. He begins to talk about his day and she softly replies where appropriate. Before she knows it she is asleep and he is trapped beneath her. He kisses her softly on the head and turns on the TV.