Status: A Retelling of the Classic Tale of Krishna

Krishna

THUNDER AND LIGHTNING

Mathura is a kingdom encapsulated with riches and shrouded with an air of mystery. It is well above the average accommodations that most surrounding territories provided for its citizens. The inhabitants of Mathura never complained about their domain, in fact most praised Kamsa for his efforts and how he had taken to assure the greatness of Mathura. Even though some citizens did not agree with the methods of Kamsa’s cruelty, they nonetheless had no say regarding the matter and decided to dodge the topic altogether. The citizens within the borders of the empire were at peace with Kamsa’s reign, however it was a stark difference of opinion generated from the people beyond the border. Those conquered by Kamsa, who were not from Mathura, were treated very differently than their Mathura counterparts. Elevated taxes, random drafting of men into Kamsa’s military, and a virgin women delivered to Kamsa every month, were to name a few of the tariffs enforced upon the subjugated villages. The villagers wanted a change and talks of a revolution rumored their way around many townships. Parties of leaders were grouped and they formulated a plan to kill Kamsa. Just when the plan had been finalized, Kamsa had found out and captured the rebels. He then executed them, decorated their heads on pikes and placed the gruesome reminders in each of the villages. No other talks of rebellion were discussed from that day onwards. However the villages still prayed for a change.
Vasudeva’s back arched and his head had sunk into the crevices of his arms. Outside his window not a creature stirred and all was quiet. Vasudeva sheepishly raised his head high enough to reveal his eyes to glance at his pregnant wife. She noticed his glance, rolled to the other side of the bed and quickly muffled her cries into her pillow. Devaki’s child was to be born in a fortnight. Vasudeva rested his head back into his arms and cried along with his wife.
The slow groan of thunder vibrated through the air. Devaki’s eye twinkled at the sight of clouds through the window. How could there be rain she wondered. Vasudeva was stirred by the unnatural weather and stood up to investigate. The wind started howling as lightning struck the ground. Rain had started to fall. The couple stared at each other in disbelief but observed further. The clouds grew larger and shapes appeared from the flashes of lightning. Both of them saw what seemed to be a three-headed man with six arms slowly bending and touching the earth from the clouds. In that moment a bolt of lightning struck window of the prison cell hard.
Devaki’s belly grumbled and water gushed out of her. She was to deliver the baby today. Cries of thunder flooded the air as rain began pouring on the parched ground. Devaki clutched onto her bed, but for some reason she felt no pain. Vasudeva saw in awe as the child was delivered, it seemed almost unnatural.
“He’s beautiful,” cried Devaki. Vasudeva could not stop looking at the child. Rainwater started pouring through the window. It drenched Vasudeva but still his eyes were not off of the child. His hands felt light and so were his feet. He looked down and cried of joy.
“My chains have melted Devaki!” He hurried to the child and held the boy. The child looked back at Vasudeva and did not stir. “Look at this child, he knows not to cry, only if there were a way to sneak this child out of the palace.” Devaki’s smile turned weak.
“At least we have spent more time with this child than all the rest,” Vasudeva then gave the child back to Devaki and frantically ran around the room looking for something that could secure their escape. Devaki’s eyes fell on the child as she lay with him on the bed. “Your life will not be wasted, my son, may the Gods look over you and lead you to victory in all that you do.” As Devaki spoke, the door slowly opened. Devaki eyes widened and her tears welled up. Was it Kamsa? Did he come to know of the child? But she remembered that he had been out on a conquest the night before and would not return until many days later. The door finally opened fully to reveal a thin sickly dog. The dog approached Vasudeva and motioned him to follow.
“Trust the dog Vasudeva, take the child and make sure that he lives.” Devaki said as she gave the child to Vasudeva. He took the child into his arms and followed the dog. He walked through the door into a moment of freedom and felt nothing but bliss. He looked back at his wife who laid there motionless and crying, he held his tears and charged forward with the baby in his arms hoping for a miracle.