Status: A Retelling of the Classic Tale of Krishna

Krishna

THE SLEEPING CHILD

The dog hurried along the palace. Vasudeva gave chase as he carried the baby wrapped in the blanket. The boy did not cry, rather he stared at his father and smiled from time to time. As his father’s arms rocked the baby while he was running, the baby fell into a deep sleep. Vasudeva noticed this and smiled at the nature of the child. The rain continued to echo around the palace walls and Vasudeva worried how he would shield the child from the mystical rain, after all the rain did melt his metal chains. The dog twisted and swerved swiftly along the walls knowing exactly where guards were stationed and how to avoid points of capture. Soon enough the dog was able to exit Vasudeva from the palace. The dog ran into the field and disappeared into the jungle, Vasudeva hesitated to step out of the palace and into the fields of freedom. He first placed his arm and braced for the impact of the rain. Astonishingly, the rain did not harm Vasudeva. He then took a food basket and emptied its contents and placed the sleeping baby inside. Just as he was making his runaway into the fields a familiar voice bellowed from inside the palace.
“Vasudeva! How dare you escape?” The sharp voice pierced through the distortion of the heavy rain and stung hard in Vasudeva’s mind. It was the nurse. She motioned to the guards. The nurse charged headfirst into the rain only to feel an excruciating pain envelope on her head. She touched her head and felt a thick viscous liquid running from her head. It was blood but she could tell it wasn’t her blood. The thick blood encased her body and she fell to her knees gasping for air screaming out to Vasudeva to help her. Vasudeva looked one last time at the nurse and ran with his child. Soon the guards ran out to help the nurse, however they were greeted with the same fate. Vasudeva ran forward only to look back once to see the bodies melting in the rain.
Vasudeva picked up his pace and found the dog in a clearing waiting for him. The dog turned and faced Vasudeva. For a moment Vasudeva understood what the dog was asking him.
“Find me a path to my brother’s house. He and I may have not always been close but he is a good man and will look after this child with his life.” Vasudeva wasn’t sure if the dog would understand. Thankfully, the dog howled and motioned Vasudeva to follow. They made their way to across the jungle in great speed. Vasudeva noticed that despite his malnourished state he was able to run at great speeds and keep up with his companion. Vasudeva’s keen ear heard the flow of a great body of water. He had not been paying attention but the two had run into the banks of the great Yamuna, the largest river in the kingdom. Man could not cross the large river unless they fashioned a boat of sorts. The dog looked up at Vasudeva in confusion. Vasudeva looked down at the dog with the same look, and they both looked at the river.
“I’m assuming that the river was not a factor of our escape?” Vasudeva asked the dog. The dog barked at the river with anger and paced along the banks. The rain started pouring harder and Vasudeva only lost more hope. He stared at the massive river and looked up at the rain. Vasudeva had no idea what to do. The child started to stir and woke up from his nap. He cried a little and Vasudeva propped him from the basket into his arms.
“My son this river is the only obstacle keeping you from your life. But no worries child we will find a way to bypass this river.” Vasudeva felt at ease talking to the infant. It was as if he was talking to an old friend. From his half awakened state the child smiled and touched his father’s face. He then swung his arm at the direction of the river and slow grumbling emerged from the ground. The same sound of the thunder but this time from underground. The ground shook hard, Vasudeva fell but held his son tight. The dog guarded the parent and the child as something truly spectacular began to happen. A giant crack originated at the feet of Vasudeva and grew towards the river. The crack grew wider and it seemed to run the course of the river.
The river began to drain into the crack. But the draining stopped as the water started to rise again. The earth was being pushed up from the crack and grew. A giant bridge was formed from the earth and stretched across Yamuna. Vasudeva’s eyes widened and he looked at his son. The child yawned and fell back asleep. Vasudeva put the baby back into the basket and looked at the dog. The dog turned his head and made his way towards the bridge. The three of them safely crossed the bridge and made their way into Vasudeva’s brother’s village.