Status: A Retelling of the Classic Tale of Krishna

Krishna

THE EPOCH OF BLISS

The palace was empty as Vasudeva hurried back with the child in hand and the dog leading the way. The rain had still not stopped but ceased to be as thundering as before. Before the trio could enter the palace the dog stood its ground and looked up at Vasudeva. He understood that the dog was done with its journey and it was up to him to finish the rest. He crept slowly into the palace, swerved in and out of the stoned walls into his room.
“You’ve come back,” Devaki sighed with relief at the sight of Vasudeva, but could not help notice the basket in his hand, “What’s that you brought? Vasudeva slowly brought out the baby from the basket and handed it to Devaki. Immediately her eyes welled up with tears and the sheer beauty of the baby. “Why must it have been this baby, she is so beautiful I cannot let her die in the hands of Kamsa.” The baby woke up and stared at Devaki and smiled once again. Suddenly the baby cried, a cry so shrill that it woke the palace and the town surrounding the palace. Guards rushed the room and soon it was filled with armed men. Vasudeva and Devaki were horrified at what was to happen.
The guards looked around but none of them were able to find the nurse. They called upon Kamsa’s messengers and asked them to deliver the message of the birth to Kamsa. Two days passed and the king of Vrishni was finally here to vanquish the child that would kill him. He walked into the room to see the couple holding the child. He scanned the room and noticed the differences immediately.
“How did you escape your bounds Vasudeva?” Kamsa inquired as he went straight to the melted metallic chains. “Have you been a sorcerer this whole time or was it something else, maybe the gods have meddled their hands into this?”
“Think what you must, for I need not answer every query you pose.” Vasudeva stood to answer the questions of his King.
“There have certainly been too many changes while I have been gone. But I am here to correct those changes starting with the bairn that you carry.” Kamsa then grabbed the child by her leg and held it upside down. Devaki and Vasudeva eyes widened and the ferocity of Kamsa. But Kamsa was not able to move. The child then slipped out his grasp and floated in the air. The guards in the room were too astonished to move as were the rest of the audience. The girl floated and disappeared upwards into the palace walls. Kamsa darted out of the room to intercept the child. But a thundering voice stopped everyone in their tracks.
“YOUR ATTEMPTS TO FIND THE CHILD WILL ONLY SECURE YOUR DEMISE KAMSA, YOU WILL FEEL THE WRATH OF THE GODS AND GODDESSES!!” The voice sent a faint shiver down Kamsa’s spine. He stood silent but a slow rumble growled from within his body. Anger seeped from him as an essence of pure rage. He bellowed a roar and struck the palace wall to his right. The whole palace shook at the might of Kamsa. The wall that had been struck crumbled, and the columns that held the portion of the palace gave way destroying the throne room. Kamsa brushed up his hair and knotted it and made his way back into Vasudeva and Devaki’s room.
“It seems that your child lives, which means that you too shall live out your days in this very room until I find that child. The day my curse is lifted so too shall I lift yours.” Kamsa motioned the guards to tie up Vasudeva once again and the guards and Kamsa went on their way screaming at the guards to find him the nurse. He turned back one more time and stared at his sister. His eye locked on to her very soul and he could feel what she felt. Kamsa turned away leaving the somber couple to decipher what had just happened.
“Was that the child that would defeat my brother?” Devaki asked.
“I do not think that it is, I left our child in the care of a young couple, their village was getting ready to leave, and at this point they are sure to have left by now.”
“You handed over our only surviving child to complete strangers?”
“This would be better as Kamsa now will never be able to find the child since there are no traces or connections from the young couple to us, plus they seemed poor so they probably will have no political connections to the kingdom as well.” Devaki nodded her head in a sort of agreement, however she felt uneasy at the thought of complete strangers raising her child, but what was the other option. She stared out through the window wondering where her child was and what he was doing at this moment. She closed her eyes and tried to feel out her son. She felt calm as a tear developed in her eyes. She turned to her husband and smiled.
“Things will turn alright, I know it.”