Status: A Retelling of the Classic Tale of Krishna

Krishna

SPIRITS INTO THE FORD

Yashoda couldn’t keep her eyes of her new child. This was her first real child and she was proud as ever. The rain outside felt so far away even though a few drops escaped into the hut. She heard footsteps slamming in the muddy water as it approached with great speed. A tall slender man entered into the abode with a toddler boy on his shoulder. They shook off their water and motioned closer to Yashoda.
“I heard Yashoda! We have become parents! Balarama see your new cousin brother!” Nanda shouted with joy as he ran straight to Yashoda. The toddler jumped off of his uncle’s shoulder and ran to his aunt and his cousin brother. Balarama looked at the baby and his aunt and back at his uncle.
“Shhhh” Yashoda smiled at Nanda. “You’ll wake the baby.” The baby smiled in his sleep and cuddled with his new mother. The family shared smiles and knew that their little home just received a great addition to the family. Balarama then grabbed the baby’s palm and pulled the infant into his arms. Yashoda and Nanda were horrified. He cradled the child and jumped around. Nanda rushed to grab the babe only to find the child smiling with glee almost cheering in a sort of manner. Yashoda looked at Nanda and he looked right back.
“I suppose they were even close brothers in a previous life I suppose.” Yashoda said as she watched the two.
“What I don’t understand is how that toddler is able to pick up that child with such ease.”
“Either way now we know that Balarama will take care of this boy.” As the couple were confused about the behaviour of the duo, one of the villagers announced outside.
“We leave to Gokul first thing in the morning!”
“This is good, we are leaving farther away from that awful man Kamsa.”
“Do not raise your voice Nanda, their are villagers who support the King and they are loyal to him till death.”
“We all know that he is not a good man and how he favors the people of money and disregards the people of the poor. I have heard tales that he tortures his sister and brother in law and has even killed them.”
“These are tales and nothing more, either way I ] heard that King Vasudeva and Queen Devaki left the kingdom a long time ago and are living in another palace in lands away Mathura and that of Vrishni kingdom.”
“Vasudeva and Devaki are just like Kamsa I am sure, only worse to abandon their people.”
“What’s not in our control should not be gossiped Nanda, forget now those matters of stately affairs you are a good leader in this village. One day you will be chief if you pay heed to the people and not the riches, like we have been doing so far.” Nanda smiled and looked out his window at the village. This was his family too, these people had helped along and he was bound to give back by championing their voice. The two gathered their belongings and prepared for the journey at sun’s rise.
The next day was not an easy one. The ground was muddy the carts were wet and the roads were not the best to travel on, but at least it was not raining. Since Yashoda had given birth she was sleeping on the cart with her son bundled by her. Nanda drove the cart with Balarama at his side and they both watched the bull pull the family. Hours passed and the village company felt that they had been traveling for days. Eventually the village leader decided to stop for the day and set up camp. The leader set up a lavish tent and ordered many gopis to serve him during the evening time. Nanda helped his neighbor travelers set up their tents and cared for those that needed caring. His wife was proud of her husband. Balarama followed his uncle everywhere and observed what he was doing, often trying to help his uncle. The villagers noticed this and talked amongst themselves at how much of a heart that Nanda had to the village and his family.
The journey took two more days and finally the village reached Gokul. It was large vast open land that stretched as far as the eyes could see. The mountain Govardhan towered over the land and it was close to a jungle that homed the great Yamuna river. As the camp slowly lingered into the valley, Nanda and Yashoda guided themselves to their new lives with Balarama and their new baby. Balarama stared up at his aunt and uncle and back down at his baby brother and smiled looking into the valley. It was time to start a new chapter in their lives.