Iron and Water

Chapter 4

"I knew it," some guy said. "I recognized your smell."

Natsu stood in front of them covered in flames, me in water. I watched as Natsu charged at the man. There was something familiar about him but I couldn't figure out what. when he got back up, I went forward with Natsu. I don't fight with Natsu as well as I do with my brother. Water doesn't work with fire as well as it does with ice.

"Don't get so damn cocky," the man yelled charging at us. I let my mind go blank as I dodged his blow. "Iron Dragon Club!"

That's it! He's Black Steel Gajeel, the Iron Dragon Slayer.

"Fire Dragon Claws," Natsu yelled grabbing ahold of his iron arm.

"Iron Dragon Blade," Gajeel said changing the shape and kicking Natsu away. "I think it's time we put an end to this Salamander."

"I'm just getting started ya scrap-metal bastard," Natsu laughed.

"You seem to be forgetting about me," I yelled coming around and slamming my fist into his stomach. He rolled to the ground and glared up at me.

"I really don't want to have to hurt you," he told me. There seemed to be a softness in his eyes when he looked at me. "You really don't remember, do you Vina?"

"No I don't," I yelled attacking him. He didn't even try to defend himself against me. Natsu jumped in and punched him, only for Gajeel's face to become dragon scales.

"My scales of steel render all attacks useless," he laughed as Natsu held his hand in pain. The Iron Dragon Slayer went to attack him but I jumped in the way taking the hit. His claws made their way through my clothing and into my stomach.

"Vina," he said alarmed jumping back.

"Fire Dragon-"

"Iron Dragon-"

"Water Dragon-"

"Roar!" All three of our attacks met in mid air, the force blowing everyone else off their feet.

"Looks like the difference between our dragon elements is becoming clear Salamander," Gajeel taunted. "I shakily stood up, ignoring the blood leaking out of my wounds. "Even if your flaming breath has the power to burn an opponent to ashes, It can't leave a single mark on steel. But my breath of Iron blades can slice up your body pretty damn good."

"My flames aren't just flames you know," Natsu said as the scales on Gajeel's face cracked. "Dragon flames can incinerate everything. Navina's water can slice through steel like it's nothing. If you don't hit us with everything you've got, you're just gonna get smashed to bits, Iron Gajeel. We've got the measure of each other now."

"Playtime's over," I teased.

"There ain't enough room for two dragons in this sky," Gajeel said. "I'll strike you down, Salamander Natsu."

"Stop leaving me out," I yelled charging at him. Gajeel stopped my attack and brought my face to his. I met his sad eyes as he looked down at me.

"I wish you would remember me, Vina," he said softly.

"Get off her," Natsu yelled punching him in the face. My arm was still locked in Gajeel's grip as we went flying. His eyes widened in alarm as he pulled me closer, shielding me from the blows. We eventually rolled to a stop, with me on the bottom.

"Please remember," he whispered. He kissed me softly before running to fight Natsu.

"Navina," Happy yelled coming up to me. "Are you alright?" Ignoring the cat, I brushed my fingers against my lip. That kiss... Somehow I felt like... like... he's kissed me before. But that didn't make any sense. I have no idea who he is other than his title. Suddenly Natsu slammed into me and sent us both flying.

"Get out of my sight trash," Gajeel yelled. Natsu came to a stop but I continued to slip out of the building, managing to catch a piece of steel ten feet down.

"Take a look,"Gajeel said. "Look at the thing you're all fighting so hard to protect." I turned my head and cried out seeing the guild in shambles.

"Navina," Natsu yelled down at me.

"Navina," I heard Gajeel ask confused. There was a shuffling before he shouted again. "Vina!"

"Natsu, I can't reach," I cried out. "Beat him." Natsu nodded at me and stood up.

"Your guild has collapsed," I heard Gajeel say. "You guys have already lost." I shut my eyes against Natsu's pained screams.

"Why don't you give it up already, Salamander? I don't even know the meaning of going easy on someone. You're going to die for real, ya know."

"Destroying the Jupiter cannon," Happy yelled. "Fighting against the Elemental Four! He used up too much magic! If he just had some fire to eat, here's no way he'd be losing!"

"You're finished Salamander!"

"Stop it!"

"Don't get all cocky just because you ate a little fire! That's just putting us back on equal footing!"

"Levy..." Natsu said. "Jet... Droy... The old man... Lucy... Navina... All my friends... and now Fairy Tail. How many things do you guys have to beat up before you're satisfied?"

"Ridiculous," Gajeel yelled. "I, Gajeel... To a brat like this! To a piece of trash like this!"

"Well, I'm gonna pay you back for the lot of it! You're gonna regret you ever laid your hands on Fairy Tail!"

"But I am the ultimate!" Gajeel got cut off as he flew out of the hole above me. A moment later we were blown away by an unseen magical force. My hands were ripped from their spot as I was thrown in the air. Gajeel dropped down and grabbed my hand before I could fall any further.

"Only one guy has that kind of power," I smiled. Storm clouds started gathering over the center of the crumbling building.

"What is it," Gajeel asked hauling me up and putting me in his lap.

"Fairy Tail's ultimate attack," I said as the bright light took place. "Fairy Law. It destroys anything the member deems as an enemy."

"So why isn't it doing anything to me," he asked.

"Well because it's our master, he doesn't see you as an enemy. My guess is that he chose to see you as a pawn. Someone who Jose used for his own personal gain."

"Hey can you hear me, Gajeel," Natsu called.

"Fine whatever," he responded setting me on the ground beside him.

"Your dragon slayer magic. Where did you learn it?" Natsu threw a fit when Gajeel didn't say right away.

"Shut up," he finally said. "Metalicana. The Steel Dragon Metalicana."

"So you did learn it from a dragon," Natsu said scrambling to his ledge and falling over.

"You too."

"How is he?"

"I dunno."

"How... Is... He..." Natsu yelled slowly.

"I said I don't know," Gajeel yelled bumping their heads together. They moved away pretty quick due to the pain. "If I talk to you my brain will turn to ash."

"What did you say," Natsu growled. I had to giggle at Gajeel's expression.

"He disappeared. Metalicana suddenly disappeared one day without saying anything. He was such a selfish guy."

"Hey. That wasn't July 7th seven years ago, was it?"

"Do you know where Metalicana is?"

"Actually we were looking for our dragons," I said. Gajeel's gaze softened as he looked at me. I noticed Natsu look between us weird. "Natsu is looking for Igneel. I'm looking for..."

"Druvina," he interrupted. "I told you before didn't I? What happened that made you forget your past?"

"I remember my past," I said. "I just don't remember you."

"Anyway," he said playing it off. "Seven years ago... Year 777... July 7th... Three dragons disappeared."

"Why are there so many sevens?"

"How should I know?"

"Well it's got nothing to do with me."

"If you're gonna go, hurry up and get out of here."

"This is our guild! You get out of here!"

"If you find out anything about Igneel, tell me."

"Why me? Are you making fun of me?"

"Aren't we all dragon slayers?"

"Next time I see you, I'll kill you! Make no mistake! You just wait!" I ignored their bickering until Natsu adressed me.

"You coming Navina?"

"Nah," I said gazing at Gajeel's back. "There are some things I want to figure out on my own. Plus, I wanna wait for Gramps."

"Why don't you join Fairy Tail," I asked once Natsu was gone.

"Why would I want to join your crappy guild anyway," he snapped. I looked down at my hands sadly.

"I'm sorry," he apologized sitting down beside me. "Why is it called that anyway?"

"I asked Gramps that same question years ago," I laughed. "He said, whether Fairies have tails or not, or whether they even exist, nobody knows. So it's like an eternal mystery. "An eternal adventure. That's the idea that lies behind the name."

"Eternal mystery and adventure, huh," he stated. "I'll think about your offer."

"I don't know why you have memories of us and I don't," I started. He turned to look at me curiously. "But I do know someone who can find out. Her name's Porlyushka. She's one of Gramps' old friends. If one of us were injured bad enough then he'd take us to her. She's an amazing woman but she doesn't like humans. She prefers to live her life in solitude, in the middle of the forest. Think about what all I've told you, okay?"

"You got it," he said kissing me softly. I smiled and stood up, jumping into the water. I swallowed some and let it give me the energy to get to shore.