Status: in progress/frequent updates

You Haunt Me

i. August 2nd, 2017

This is it, he thought. It’s time to move on. She’s gone, and she isn’t coming back. You have to move on.

His gaze scanned across the bedroom of the house they had shared for a little over three years. Since she had left, he hadn’t really gathered up the nerve to go in there much. Most nights he found himself passing out on the couch or, if he was lucky, in the spare bedroom. As childish as it was, being in that room made him feel sick to his stomach.

A lot of her belongings were still there, but after weeks of them laying around, he finally got the nerve to gather it all up into a couple of boxes. He knew he should just get rid of it; she wouldn’t ever be coming back for it, anyways, and having it around was just a constant, painful reminder of her. Her and everything they once had.

He almost felt like laughing, despite how upset he was. He felt foolish for holding onto the false hope that she would come back, even though he knew that she never would. She was gone, and there was nothing he could do about that.

It was strange, he thought, how one minute someone could be the center of your universe, and the next they vanish. He hated the idea of being alone. Hated the idea of being without her.

Let this be a lesson to never take people for granted, and to never let anyone close ever again, he thought to himself bitterly as he laid down on the bed for the first time in weeks. Reaching over, he grabbed her pillow, hugging it tightly to his chest. Inhaling, he realized it still smelled faintly of her. Eventually, his eyes grew heavy, and he fell into a dreamless sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is something I've been in the progress of writing for a long, long, long time. I'll probably post a few more parts momentarily.