Status: in progress/frequent updates

You Haunt Me

xi. December 25th, 2011

Dull light had begun to stream into the room, and Rae awoke before stretching her arms above her head. A moment later, she remembered what day it was, a smile making its way onto her face.

Rolling over, she put her hand on her boyfriend's arm, shaking him gently. "John, wake up."

She received no response, his chest still rising and falling slowly as he slept. Sighing, she shook him a bit harder. "Come on. Wake up."

Sitting up, she laughed a bit to herself when she recalled a conversation between her and John one morning:

"John, wake up," she shook him.

"Hmmm," he mumbled, eyes still closed.

"Wake up," she repeated herself.

"Really? What time is it?" he groaned, finally opening one eye so he could look at her.

"Please just get up," she pouted. "I wanna watch the sunrise with you."

"Sunrise?" he questioned. "Why are you even awake?"

"Because I don't like sleeping half the day like some people," she responded.

He chuckled, leaning so he could kiss her forehead. "You are crazy."

"Whatever,” she laughed a bit with him. “Please, will you come?”

Sighing, he sat up, rubbing a hand across his face. “Fine.”


He finally moved, opening his eyes before throwing an arm across his face. "Do I even want to know what time it is?"

"Seriously?" she pouted, grabbing his arm and prying it away from his face. "It's Christmas. You can't sleep in on Christmas."

He chuckled a bit, pulling her close to him so her head was on his chest. Closing his eyes, he gave her a simple two-word response: "Watch me."

She groaned, climbing on top of him. Placing her hands on his cheeks, she leaned down toward his face. "Get up."

Chuckling, he grabbed her hips as he looked at her. "You're playing a dangerous game there, darlin’."

She frowned as she stared at him, moving off of him. "Why are you always so disgusting?"

"Hey, wait," he laughed again, pulling her back to him so he could kiss her forehead. "I'm sorry. Merry Christmas."

She couldn't stop the smile that was forming on her face as his lips moved to hers. "Merry Christmas, John. Now, will you please get up?"

"Hmmm," he mumbled, laying back down and pulling her with him. "Give me another hour or so."

"An hour?" she responded in disbelief. "You do realize I'm like a child when it comes to Christmas, right?"

"Hmmm, worse, actually," he joked, and she elbowed his ribs. "I was kidding."

She rolled her eyes before speaking. "Well, anyways, we have brunch with Stella, and then dinner at your parents’, and I just want to spend time with you-"

"Shhh," he cut her off. "We can spend time together right now. Sleeping."

"Oh, come on!" she laughed. "How could you rather sleep than open presents?"

"You're not going to give up, are you?" he questioned.

Rae sat up, her gaze meeting his. Moving in, she pressed her lips against his briefly before leaning over the side of the bed. "Nope."

"Didn't think so," he rubbed his eyes as he sat up. "What are you doing?"

She grinned, holding the Polaroid camera in her hands.

Sighing, he ran a hand over his face. "You know, I'm really beginning to regret getting you that camera."

"Come on, you look so cute," she pouted. "Please. Just one."

"Fine," he responded.

"You have to smile," she reminded him, and he plastered on an over-exaggerated smile. After taking the picture, she shook her head. "You are such a goof."

"Uh, you're welcome, Rae," he spoke sarcastically as she gave the photo a moment to develop.

"Thank you, John," she replied in an equally sarcastic tone. "I'll cherish this forever."

She held the picture out to him so he could see.

Laughing, he kissed her forehead. "Oh, I know you will."

Ignoring his comment, she jumped up, heading to the doorway of his room. "Let's go open some presents."