Status: in progress/frequent updates

You Haunt Me

iv. May 21st, 2011

“Are you almost ready?” John asked Rae.

“Yeah, just let me grab my shoes,” she responded as she pulled on her high top Converse.

Since John had a little bit of time before they went to record, the two of them decided to go on a road trip, which Stella found amusing.

“Alright, let's go,” he spoke, grabbing her bag for her.

“I could carry that, you know,” she reached to grab it.

“I’m trying to be a gentleman,” he laughed. “Come on.” He leaned over, scooping her up as well over his shoulder.

“John!” she shrieked. “Put me down!”

“Are you afraid I’m going to drop you or something?” he asked.

“Maybe.”

He set her down outside of the passenger’s side of his truck. “Front door service. You’re welcome.”

“You truly are the best,” she said sarcastically before climbing in.

“I know,” he responded, grinning at her as he started the engine.

“So where are we going?” she asked him as he backed out of the parking lot to her apartment.

“That’s for me to know,” he paused dramatically. “And you to find out.”

───────────────


“What do you mean, you don’t know where we are?” she asked him.

“Well, that’s what I mean,” he responded, looking at an old map he kept in his truck for whatever reason. If he had any sense of direction, he supposed it may have been at least a little helpful at this point.

“Are you joking?” she asked.

“I wish I was,” he spoke, looking down at his phone. Still no service. “I’m sorry. I must have taken a wrong turn somewhere.”

“John,” she laughed. “It’s fine. Let’s make the most of it.”
She climbed out, and he followed her lead.

“Come on,” she hoisted herself up into the bed of his truck, leaning her head against the back. “The sky is so clear out here.”

He looked up. She was right; he didn’t think he’d ever seen that many stars in his life.

“Everything happens for a reason. See?” she pointed upwards. “This is the reason we got lost, I guess.”

“This is true,” he responded. “And now I can show you how good I am at astronomy.”

She raised an eyebrow at him. “Oh, really?”

He nodded, pointing upward. “See, that right there is the Big Dipper.”

Laughing, she grabbed his arm, moving it. “It’s actually right there.”

“Well, if you’re such an expert on constellations, what’s that one?” He moved his hand, pointing vaguely.

She laughed for a second time, her gaze still on the stars. “You’re a goof.”

He stared at her, not saying anything.

Her gaze met back with his, noticing his staring. “What?”

She wasn’t sure why, but the way he was looking at her made her feel a little uncomfortable.

“Nothing,” he spoke. “I just... I really do love you, Rae. I love the way you view the world and I love how excited you get about the little things. I love spending time with you and I just love you.”

“John...” she whispered.

“I know you don’t want to ruin our friendship but have you not ever wondered what it would be like for us to be... more?” he questioned her.

Exhaling audibly, she didn’t speak for a few moments. “Yes, I have.”

He tilted her face toward his, and she felt her lips gravitating forward. They eventually met his, and she pulled away almost as soon as they did as if she had been shocked.

“I’m... I’m sorry.”

“It’s weird, I get it,” he spoke, shaking his head. “I’m going to go see if I can find service.”

“John-“

“We’ll talk about it later, okay? Let’s see if we can get back on the right road first,” he cut her off. He wasn’t angry with her; he was angry with himself for the way he had acted. He knew he was letting his infatuation with her get in the way of their friendship, but there didn’t seem to be anything he could do to stop it.