Black Blood

Chapter Sixteen

The maid had returned me to my room after I had finished breakfast. Of course that had been an hour ago, and I was getting bored with looking through all the items in my room. There weren't any books, and there were only so many times you could read and reread the ingredients list on the back of a shampoo bottle.

There were a lot of ingredients. I had no idea what most of them even were.

I groaned and threw the bottle on the bed. A though occurred to me: was I actually even confined to just this room? I walked up to the door and pressed my ear to it, listening carefully.

As far as I could tell there was no one on the other side of the door. I turned the handle and pulled the door open just enough that I could peek through the gap. To my surprise there was nobody in the hall.

Given how highly desired I seemed to be among the vampires, one would think that they would have at least one guard posted at all times. Just in case I decided to try and escape. Which of course I was about to do, despite previous unsuccessful attempts.

I carefully pushed the door open further, just enough that I could slip through the gap and out into the hall. I crept along the hall; it wasn't quite as long as the ones at creepy Ethan's home, and it wasn't winding either thankfully.

When I reached the stairway I heard voices, and quickly ran back out of sight. I clamped my hands over my mouth as I had almost shrieked. I prayed whoever they were they would just continue on, and then I could get out of there.

I recognized one of the voices as Adrian's. They were speaking in French again though, so I had no clue what they were saying. I let my hands fall back to my sides and pressed up against the wall, creeping back to peek around the corner.

Luckily both of their backs were facing me. They were halfway down the staircase, carrying on a rather heated discussion. They both seemed agitated. I caught the name Blackblood once or twice, and then something about a Davide.

Slowly Adrian lifted his head, audibly sniffing the air. My eyes widened and I slipped back into hiding just as he started to turn.

"I can smell you, you know," he said. He was definitely agitated. "I can hear you, as well. Come on out, there is no need to hide."

I contemplated bolting back down the hall and into my room, the idea of pretending that this had never happened sounding very tempting. But there was no sense in that, so I came back out around the corner. I bit my lip and smiled nervously.

"You- what is your name, anyway?" he said, looking puzzled again. That look on his face was somehow starting to get on my nerves.

"Chloe," I said. I realized that it really was the first time I had told him my name. I recalled only Claude asking, before him. I almost looked at Adrian in a different light, but I knew better.

"Chloe," he repeated, the puzzled expression melting away. I nodded in acknowledgement. "Well, come, Chloe, I would like you to meet a good friend of mine."

I cringed inwardly and made my descent down the stairs to where they stood. I looked back and forth between the two. They seemed like opposites; Adrian had dark hair like his sister, and the newcomer had hair so light it was almost white.

"This is Charles," Adrian said. Charles looked me up and down, and I shifted uncomfortably. "He's here visiting; he had information on the whereabouts of Edward Blackblood to relay."

I stared at him. What relation did this vampire have to my so-called relative? I turned back to Adrian and raised and eyebrow.

"I take it locating Edward is going to be somewhat of a challenge?" I dared to say. "Let alone getting him to come here. If he truly takes an interest in me, anyway."

Adrian looked about ready to slap me, his hand raised, and I flinched away. No impact came, so I opened my eyes again and cautiously dropped my arms. Adrian cleared his throat, glanced down briefly and adjusted his shirt, and then looked back to Charles and smiled seemingly regaining his composure.

"Well, thank you for coming by on such short notice," Adrian said. Charles gave a short bow.

"Thank you," he said. He looked to me one last time before turning. He raised a hand in a wave as he made his way down the stairs the rest of the way. "I'll show myself out. Take care."

We watched him go. After a while Adrian grabbed my arm and practically dragged me back up the stairs.

"What did you think you were doing?" he hissed, his grip tightening more. I looked away form him; I knew this was coming. He made a frustrated sound at the back of his throat. "No matter, I know. Don't you dare try it again. I will have someone with you at all times now."

I wondered for a moment if the trick I had used on the dead vampire would work on a living one. I leaned closer, about to open my mouth, but he released my arm and pulled back.

"Humans," he said in disgust. He wiped his hands off on his shirt as if I had dirtied them. He pointed to me and gave me a look. "Don't. Don't ever try to leave here again."

I nodded that I had understood; though I had my fingers crossed behind my back.