Status: In progress, but progressing nicely

Smoke & Silver

A Surprise

I called the cops. They arrived a hell of a lot faster than they did in my neighborhood, but I decided to ignore that.

We all gave our statements, and that was that. Until my ex walked in.

It had been a long six months since the breakup, but Pat tore into me like it hadn't ever happened.

"What in the hell are you doing here, Georgia?" Pat was a tiger in police blues. Five foot ten inches of deliciously tanned skin and a mess of blond curls that I used to get my fingers tangled in every night. I missed the way those hands used to warm my skin or turn into shackles around my wrists on those hot nights.

"Catching up with old friends. We went to college together."

"Of course you'd know Mr. Gorman." Pat sighed, running a hand through those gorgeous curls, hat in hand.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Nothing. Nothing." Her voice softened, "I'm sorry. You just always seemed-"

"You always thought I was putting myself in danger and taking unnecessary risks with the clientele at the bar. You're projecting." I held up a hand before she could interrupt, "But we've had this conversation already. About twenty times. And that was before we broke up. So, please. Let's drop this."

She sighed, putting her hat back on.

"In that case, ma'am, I'll have to ask you to leave the scene."

"Whatever, Pat." I walked out to the car and lit a cigarette. Her glare followed me out of the door. I had already packed my things from my overnight stay at Chateau de Gorman. After my cigarette, I was planning on saying goodbye to the boys and getting out of their way. It was an uphill battle and there was no way they'd let me help. There was no way I could help, unless they just needed a getaway driver.

As if summoned by that sour thought, John came up to my side, making me jump.

"Georgia. I need you to keep that pretty mouth closed and listen to me."

The look on my face said what I was thinking, but without the colorful euphemisms.

"Listen. On the off chance that someone saw you, we can't just leave you here."

"Oh my god." I kept my voice low, "You sound just like Patricia."

"Georgia, shut your goddamned mouth." His eyes were harder than the martinis he favored. My lips closed around the filter of my cigarette.

"Keep your bag. If you need anything, Isaac and I will go by your apartment with you. We can't risk something happening to you just because you were seen with us."

"Look. It was just-"

"'Just' nothing. You're not leaving without at least one of us with you."

"I choose Isaac."

"Fine." He turned on his heel and strode off to find Isaac.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry I've dropped behind in updates. I'll post a few more today over the next few hours. At least three, maybe as many as five. Thanks for your patience, and seriously. If you let me know what you think, I may send you the chapters as soon as I write them instead of making you wait until I post them.