You Were Meant for Me

Chapter Twenty-One: Word Vomit

Image

I could barely hear anything over the music coming from the speakers as Teejay’s annual Halloween Bash raged on. His parents’ house was filled with tons of people in costumes, lots of drugs, and even more alcohol. I planned on having a great night with my best friends and get shit faced in the process. A few of us were sitting around the coffee table, enjoying our drinks and shooting the shit, when Ryan Ashley joined the group.

“Hey, let’s play a game! What about seven minutes in heaven?”

“What, is this middle school?” I laughed before taking a sip of my drink. “I think we’re a little too old for that, Ry.”

“Since you’re the first to object, you get to go first! Go on then, someone is already waiting in the closet for you.”

I sent my friend a fake glare before getting up from the chair I had been in for most of the night. I carefully smoothed my dress out, unsure of who was waiting for me. Knowing Ry’s strange sense of humor, it was probably Ricky. I’d be lying if I said he wasn’t attractive, but it would be weird for me at the same time. I had never really thought about him as anything other than a friend, but maybe it was time to start thinking differently.

The closet was completely dark when I walked in and I couldn’t see a thing. I felt around cautiously before finally finding what felt like a hand. I cleared my throat, trying to find my voice and all I could muster out was a small hi.

“Wynter…”

“Oh, you have to be fucking kidding me!” I screamed loudly as I reached for the doorknob. “Why are you still here? I told you to fucking go back home and yet you keep following me! When will you get the hint that I don’t want anything to do with you? And why the FUCK is this door not opening?! Ryan Ashley Malarkey, get me out of here now!”

“Sorry, babes. It’s for your own good.” I heard her say through the door. “Talk to him and listen to what he has to say. Until then you’re staying in there, however long it takes. Love you!”

I violently banged on the door, then kicked it a few times for good measures, but it wasn’t moving. She had to have something keeping it closed. Finally giving up, I slid to the floor in defeat. I knew he was close to me, but I didn’t want him to be. If he knew what was good for him, he’d stay away from me. But obviously he didn’t.

“Have you had a lot to drink…?” He asked, taking my hand in his. “Because we really need to talk, Wynter.”

“Alright, Ville, you wanna talk? Let’s fucking talk, because I guarantee there is nothing you can say that could ever make any of this okay.”

“I know it doesn’t change anything, but I am so sorry I haven’t been around the past few weeks. I assumed you knew we were recording and with the time difference, it just got away from me. If I had known things were so bad, I would’ve been here sooner, done something differently.”

“How can you sit there and act like Mikaela has nothing to do with this?”

“What in the absolute fuck does she have to do with this, Wynter? I don’t even fucking know the girl.”

“Then explain this.” I spat as I shoved my phone in his face, showing him the email I had gotten. “Explain why she sent me this, Ville. Why does everyone choose her over me? Dad chose her, you chose her, it won’t be long until mummo and pappa choose her too. She’s not even that pretty!”

“No, she isn’t! She’s not you, my darling girl. There is no one in the world that can compare to you and what I thought we had. This picture is old, just look at my hair. Can you say you’ve seen my hair like that in the time we’ve known each other? And the beard… I have not had one since last year. I take pictures with fans all the time, she must have had one and sent it to you to upset you.”

“Oh god…” I whispered as my hand flew up to my mouth.

“Wynter, how could you believe I would do something like that to you? I almost told you that I loved you the last time I saw you, and you thought I would downgrade without a second thought? I really thought you knew me better than that.” He sighed as the hurt showed in his voice.

“I think I’m gonna be sick.”

I jumped to my feet, trying to keep myself from puking all over him and myself, but I could feel the alcohol rising in my throat. He banged on the door, desperately calling out for Ryan, for anyone to open the door, but no one came. I emptied the contents of my stomach on the floor as far away from Ville as I could possibly get, and the door swung open just as I wiped my mouth on a coat hanging in front of me.

I gave Ryan the nastiest look I could muster as I shoved past her and out of the party. I had to get some fresh air and get away from everyone else. The chilly air was welcomed against my sweaty skin and I felt surprisingly sober as I sat on a small wooden swing hanging from a rather large tree close to the house. The music was loud enough for me to still hear it, but I could actually process what had just happened.

I stared at the picture on my phone and felt nauseous again. I knew Ville didn’t have a beard anymore, but it didn’t register at the time I saw the picture. Why didn’t I look at it more closely? Why didn’t I question it? He was right… I knew better, but I immediately thought the worst of him instead of trying to talk to him about it.

I closed my eyes as the tears started to run down my cheeks. I had fucked up, I had fucked up so bad. I had done so many things in the past few weeks that were completely unnecessary. I hurt Ville, I hurt my mom, and I had hurt myself… All because I was stupid and gave Mikaela exactly what she wanted. I don’t know how long I sat outside crying, but once the tears finally stopped and dried, I wiped my face and put on a fake smile to rejoin the party. I turned to go back inside and there in the driveway stood Ville. He had his head down and his hands shoved in his pockets, and it looked like he was waiting for someone. I didn’t know what to say to him, there probably wasn’t anything that I could say to fix any part of this mess.

“I’m sorry.” I whispered as my feet stopped in front of him. “How did you even find me tonight? I didn’t tell my mom where I was going.”

“Your friends mentioned it yesterday at the cafe. It turns out they are very big fans and were very interested in helping to get you to speak to me. Though I do believe I promised to let them open for us next time we play here. They aren’t awful, are they?”

“No, they aren’t awful. I was gonna go back inside. Do you want to come with me…?”

“Oh, no. Thanks for the offer. I was waiting for a taxi back. This party really isn’t my scene anymore, and I did what I came here to do. No need to stick around, right?”

“Oh… right.” The disappointment evident in my voice as I turned to walk away. “Well, uh… I guess I’ll see you around then, Ville.”

“You’re more than welcome to come with me, darling girl. We can get something to eat and talk. I feel like we have more to discuss, don’t you?”

“Yes! I mean… yeah, that would be nice, but I’m dressed as Minnie Mouse so maybe we could go back to my house and order something.”

He nodded and we waited in silence for the taxi to arrive. I knew we had a lot to talk about and I knew things were ultimately going to be different, we weren’t going to be the same as we were in Finland. I mean, how could we even try to fix things? I all but said that I didn’t trust him and that wasn’t something he would let go so easily. I had to do something though. If I had learned anything in the past few weeks, it was that I definitely did not want to lose him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Wynter's costume

Hope everyone is having a lovely holiday season so far! Thanks for reading. Story still going strong and has a little bit to go!