Missing Souls

1/1

Large fluffy snowflakes gently fell from the sky as a crisp breeze cut its way through the crowd surrounding the grave.

"Let us bow our heads in prayer," The large, old priest announced to the crowd.

Everyone bowed their heads, except for the young mother, who stared at the casket that held her child. As frozen tears fell down her face, she tried to find a reason as to why God would plan for her sweet baby to die and could come up with none. She could have sworn that she was holding her daughter just yesterday, having a tickle fight and hearing the little girl giggle uncontrollably. Memories of playing with her, reading to her, and caring for her swarmed through her mind.

"Amen," The priest and the crowd announced together.

As the daughter's favorite lullaby began to play, the casket was slowly and gently lowered into the ground.

"NO! Susan, you can't be gone," The mother wailed as her husband held her back from running to the grave, until she collapsed onto the ground with his arms wrapped around her, "SHE CAN'T BE GONE! SHE CAN'T BE GONE!"

It was only last week that the mother and child were having a snowball fight on a snow day... that's when the child ran out into the street and was struck by a truck... they tried, but the doctors could not save her.

Christmas was next week, but no one was in the holiday spirit.