Champagne Drops

Feels like come- way dance me round

After closing up and locking the bar, I head home. Christmas music is playing softly on the radio and there is a nice fall of snow coming from the sky. To anyone else, this would be picture perfect. To me? I’m so sick of the snow and Christmas music. After my relationship with Lucas crashed and burned on Christmas, it’s hard to get in the spirit of the holidays. I fake it just enough so that my son is happy. His happiness is the only thing that matters.

I pull up to my house and see a familiar car parked outside. I curse at the sight of the BMW as I park along side of it in my driveway. I cut the engine and gather my stuff before heading inside, locking the car as I walk away.

I get inside and see my son, Maverick, and his father Lucas playing some video game. Lucas for once has a smile on his face as he lets his son beat him. “Where is Elsa?” I ask, gaining the attention Lucas, letting Maverick to land a perfect kill shot. I laugh as Maverick lets out a victory yell.

“I let her go. I figured she didn’t need to be here while I’m here.” Lucas smiles. “You look great, Kris.”

“What are you doing here Lucas?” I ask as I head into the kitchen with him right on my tail. “You haven’t taken Maverick for a holiday in years. You rather spend your holidays away from the very thing that makes holidays special...family.”

“That’s not fair.” He defends himself. “I spend holidays with Maverick and my parents. In fact, that's why I’m here. I was wondering if I can take him up to the Inn this holiday. My parents are having a final holiday there before selling the Inn. They’re finally retiring.”

“I know.” I tell him. “Your mother paid me a visit tonight. And handed me this.” I pull the invitation from my jacket, earning a shocked expression from the man in front of me. “Yea, I know. She invited me to spend a holiday with her. Clearly, she mustn’t remember the last time I spend a holiday with you guys.”

“I wonder why she invited you.” He ponders as he takes the invitation in his hands. “Your last holiday with her was quite rememberable.”

“And I’m not the only one to blame for that holiday.” I point out. “I did catch you in bed with my best friend at the time.” Lucas just makes a face. “But I told her I’ll be there. So no, you can’t take your son because we’ll be going to the same place.”

“I can’t believe you’re going to spend the holidays with a bunch of people you can’t stand.” He chuckles.

“I love our son and I’ll do anything for him.” I inform Lucas. “Plus Nicki isn’t so bad. He’s the only one that I can tolerate at this point.”

“You know, he’s always had this biggest crush on you.” Lucas points out. “I always thought it was kind of pathetic. He would always follow you around like a lost little puppy.”

“He was the only one in that family that has ever showed me any type of compassion.” I point out.

“That’s not true and you know it.” Lucas counters. “I loved you. I married for you for Christ’s sake.”

“Yea after I found out I was pregnant.” I counter back. “If I wasn’t pregnant with Maverick after our one night stand, I would have just been another girl to you. But nooo, you had to do the “right thing” and marry me. And look where that landed us? We can barely be in the same room as each other without arguing.” Lucas sighs, knowing I’m right. “Look, say good night to Maverick and go. I’ve got to get him to bed, it’s a school night.”

“I’ll see you in a couple weeks?” He asks. “Are you really coming up to the Inn?”

“I’ll see you at the Inn.” I assure him. “I promise.”

He smiles before exiting the room. A sigh escapes my lips when I hear our son’s protesting when Lucas tells him goodbye. Maverick truly loves his father, even if Lucas is very rarely around. Just as a frown appears on my lips, my phone goes off telling him someone is trying to video chat with me. A smile appears on my lips when I pull my phone out and see Nickolas’ picture popping up. I gladly accept the call.

“Happy Holidays, Saint Nick.” I greet him. “How are you?”

“I just got off the phone with my mother, apparently she’s having a family holiday at the Inn before they close.” He informs me. “Did you know about this? I wouldn’t be surprised if you didn’t, no offence.”

“She invited me.” I chuckle, earning another shocked look from youngest Jameson brother. “Yea, I know. Shocking. Even your brother was shocked about it.”

“You actually talked with Lucas?” Nickolas laughs. “That’s surprising. What did he want?”

“He wanted to take his son for the holiday.”

“He must be planning on proposing to Kaci this Christmas or he wouldn’t want to be taking Maverick. He never takes Maverick for Christmas.”

“That’s what I’m thinking.” I frown. “I’m not looking forward to the heartache Maverick is going to have to deal with when it comes to Lucas remarrying. He rarely sees his father as is. And it’s not like I’m keeping him from Lucas.”

“I know that and I even think my parents know that.” He smiles at me. “Ready for the holidays with the Jameson family? Even after the last time you spent a holiday with us?”

“I’m as ready as I’ll ever be…”
♠ ♠ ♠
comment&subscribe? I'm thinking this might actually get worked on this year!