Status: Released weekly

Capricious

And then they were gone

Capricious

I sat at my computer, as I normally did, playing a game. It was a fun game, but sometimes it would get overly dull that I gained no gratitude from playing anymore after a while.

“Careful,” a voice said. I looked over my shoulder and saw nothing. The voice was vaguely familiar, but I could not recall where I heard it.

I went back to playing the game for a little bit when the voice spoke once more.

“They’re coming,” it said. “They know what you did.”

This was getting creepy. I swiftly turned around only to see a man on the couch behind me. The couch sat against the wall with the window above it. I knew this person. This was Jack, as he called himself. He worked for the FBI and had been a close friend of mine. We went back years, back when I was a child. He dated my mother, but he had a different face then, because he was undercover.

“They are? Should I hide?” I asked.

“No, they will find you,” Jake replied.

Don’t listen to Jake, he’s lying,” said another voice. It was my coffee cup. Why was it talking to me? Did Jake see it? It spoke as if he couldn’t. Then there was a loud bang and sounds of scratching.

Instantly fear overtook my body as my anxiety shot through the roof. I rushed out of the room and through the kitchen towards the door leading to the garage. That’s where I heard it coming from. I made sure to grab a large kitchen knife. They were hear, or were they burglars? What if someone tries to murder me?

I prepared myself to open the door. Sounds of growling, shuffling and crashes beyond the door. I looked behind me, scared and saw only the moonlight reflecting off the snow. It was midnight, so who could it be?

I grabbed the door handle to the garage, hand shaking violently as my heart pounded, faster and faster even more. Sweat rolled down my cheeks and eyes dilated. I could hear my own heart pumping rapidly, pushing the blood through my body to rush at fast speeds.

Swiftly in movement, I threw the door open and stared into the darkness that enveloped my garage. “They’re gone…” It was Jake. Then I heard more shuffling and saw a figure, a silhouette that I made out from my front yard light that bleed into the garage from the windows on the garage door. It seemed to move slowly and turn towards me.

Without much hesitation I threw the lights on and it was gone. Nothing. I turned around to ask Jake, and maybe the coffee cup that happen to speak to me, but no one was there. The house was empty, only myself.

“Again…” I said to myself from under my breath. They were gone, but they would be back. They always came back, even though I took my medicine. I went back to the office, scared and worried, hoping the night would be a peaceful one.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is a short on schizophrenia.