Status: Active

Love Has Perfect Timing

Chapter 3

The next couple of weeks went by way too quickly. I wasn't ready for the trip to be so soon but it was tomorrow. I was still at work but all I could think about was the packing I had to do.
My work was piled up and I didn't have enough time to finish it all before I left.
I sighed, defeated as I realized that all I could do was finish as much as possible and leave the rest for someone else. I felt awful doing that but I was only going away for a week.

It was finally time to go home. As soon as I got to my car to head home my phone rang. It was Michelle.

"Hey" I answered.

"Hi!" She shouted, I pulled the phone away from me ear to stop her from hurting my ear drum as she yelled into the phone.

"Are you excited, Caylee? We leave tomorrow!" She sang as she said tomorrow.

I chuckled, "Yeah, I'm just a little overwhelmed. I didn't finish all my work and I still have a lot of packing to do." I said honestly.

"I'm ready now so I can come help you pack and forget about work. It'll be there waiting for you when you get back."

"You're right. I'm about to pull out of work now so you can come over whenever."

"Cool, I'll head there now."

"Okay, see you in a bit."

"Bye" She said as we hung up.

I drove home determined to forget about work and focus on my first week off in years.

I got home quickly, I had just missed the crazy traffic. I opened my front door and was greeted by both of my cats. I headed to the kitchen to feed them their dinner.
My mom is going to come and feed them for me while I'm away. She lives about fifteen minutes from me.

I was about to head upstairs to start packing when the doorbell rang and there was incessant knocking on the door.
Michelle is here.

I opened the door to let her in. She was dressed in her pajama pants and a hoodie.
"Hey, girl! Let the packing begin." She announced as she walked in.

I laughed and shut the door. "Perfect timing, I was just about to start."

We both headed upstairs. I grabbed my suitcase and began to put some clothes into it. Michelle immediately took them out.

"Caylee, we're going to California. Why would you pack clothes for fall in New York?" She said as she put them back in the closet.

"Just sit and let me do this." She said as she made me sit on the bed while she went through all my clothes.

She wouldn't let me pack anything. I decided I would pack what I really wanted after she was done but as she finished she grabbed my bag.

"You can choose what you will wear on the flight tomorrow but I'm going to take your suitcase with me now so you can't change what I packed for you."

I gasped, "Come on, Michelle. You packed weird outfits. I never wear those clothes like that."

"That's because you dress like a grandma most of the time. Maybe this way you'll actually find a man because he'll be able to see a woman's figure."

I really didn't like this at all.

"At least let me add a few things to my suit case." She thought about it for a second,

"Fine, but you can't take anything out." She said as she raised her pointer finger at me.

"I won't." I said as I went to my dresser and pulled out a few things that could make the outfits a little more classy and a little less slutty.

I finished adding to clothes and Michelle zipped it up and headed out of my room.

"You're really gonna take my bag?" I said as I followed her downstairs,

"Yup, I'll pick you up tomorrow morning at 6am so we can make our flight." She said as she walked out my front door to her car.

"Um, okay." was all I could say as she threw my suitcase in the backseat of her car and pulled out of my driveway. She waved as she drove away.

This'll be an interesting trip.

My alarm woke me up at 5AM. I needed to shower and pack some last minute toiletries. After I got dressed, I grabbed my small carry-on and walked downstairs to feed my cats. Just as I finished I heard a car beep.
I looked up at the clock on my microwave and it said 6:03. Michelle was here. I patted my cats on their heads and I walked outside, locking the door behind me.
Michelle had already picked up Amy and Jess so I slid in the backseat with Amy.

"Okay girls, let the festivities begin," Michelle said way too peppy for that early in the morning. The rest of us made a chorus of unenthusiastic yays because we were too tired to be as excited as Michelle.

We drove to the airport, went through security and waited at our gate. Michelle wouldn't stop smiling.
"This trip is going to be legendary." She said quietly as she looked at the three of us. Amy had fallen asleep in her chair. Jess was reading a book and I was about to doze off as I heard Michelle say those words. I half smiled at her excitement.

The next thing I knew we were being called to board the plane. As we sat in our seats, I was sitting next to Amy and Jess and Michelle sat together behind us, Amy leaned over to me. "Hey, maybe we can try to meet up with Hannah while we're in LA."

Our friend Hannah had move out to LA a few years ago and I didn't even connect that we were going to the same place.

"Oh yeah, that'd be great. I hope we can arrange that."
We talked about some things we'd like to try to do while we're out there until it was our turn to get on the runway.
As the plane leveled off in the sky, the cabin was very quiet. I fell asleep again and woke up to the stewardess handing out drinks.

I got a coffee and as I sipped it I began to wake up more. The reality of what we were doing started to sink in. I was a little nervous to go to California. I was excited too but I didn't know what to expect.

I decided to just let what ever was going to happen, happen. There was peace in that decision and I relaxed more as I paid attention to the movie that was playing.

The next thing I knew we were about to land. I started to get nervous again but then I looked out the windows and saw the buildings and the beaches and my nervousness turned into excitement, I'm ready for a week of fun.

We finally landed and made our way off the plane to get our luggage. Michelle had rented a car so we went to pick it up.
She put the address to our hotel into Jess' phone and made our way there. It was only supposed to be fifteen minutes away but we had to take the highway to get there. Apparently, we got on the highway at the wrong time. It took us an hour to get to the next exit.

We pulled up to our hotel. It was a beautiful building. We were able to get our keys quickly and took the elevator up the the 16th floor. We piled into the room and all of our mouths hit the floor. There were two queen size beds with a couch, kitchen, fireplace and sliding doors that lead to a balcony. We dropped our luggage and all went out on the balcony. The view was amazing.

We unpacked and settled in. We decided to go out for dinner to celebrate our first night there so we all get ready to go out.

As we all were finished getting dolled up, we made our way back outside to our rental car. The restaurant was only 10 minutes from us so we all hoped we'd have better luck getting around this time.