Fight or Flight

II.

As I'm following behind his sleek Mustang to God knows where I couldn't help but think back to the first day I saw him.

He was stunning, stop and stare stunning. I was pretty sure every other girl thought the same as he made his way up the steps. I noticed the stares. Pretty sure he did too. I remember as two girls nudged their heads in his direction with muffled giggles. Of course, he ate it all up. Dr. Rosen briefly runs through syllabus as well as her expectations before immediately jumping in with the PowerPoint. My hand cramps and throbs before she finally says we're done for the day. A few girls happily trot out the room behind it. I also remember how I fuzzy yet anxious I felt walking into the room a few days later. He wasn't there yet. For a second I thought he wouldn't show until he strolls up the stairs, noticing a few girls shamelessly sat around the empty chair from the previous class. His thick brown eyebrows furrow with confusion and a bit of annoyance. He turns on his heel and slides into one of the few empty seats in front of me. Dr. Rosen scrambles into the room, dropping her papers as she went.

'I hope that you all read the chapters listed on the schedule because it is time for a quiz.' She announces, causing a few to shift over in their chairs nervously. 'A blue or black pen please everyone.'

As she puts the questions on the screen I lean slightly forward to look as he brings his pen to the page. He was a lefty - like me. I could see the name he jotted across the top line of the page. Justin. Justin. It fit him. Not that I knew his personality yet. He just looked like a Justin.

'So you follow me all way here and you're not even going to join me? I must say, I'm pretty disappointed.' Justin crashes his way into my daydream, leaning against the door of my car. His brown eyes, appearing black as he was surrounded by the dark, warm night.

'I guess I should see if this place lives up to its hype.' I say, pulling the key from the ignition and grabbing my purse. 'Since I did follow you all the way out here.'

'Believe me - it does.' He quickly retorts as he pushes the glass door open.

'Justin! How was the fight?' A small, dainty, older woman comes from the back. Her gray hair braided neatly, pulled away from her face, 'who is this gorgeous girl?'

'I wish I could say the other guy is having a good night.' Justin gloats proudly. From what I saw, he was a great fighter. The guy had at least a solid foot on him and 40 or so more pounds but he held his own. 'This is Olivia.'

'Hi, Olivia. Great to meet you, I'm Lula - just call me Miss. Lu.'

'Great to meet you, Miss. Lu.' I smile, returning her gesture.

Justin leads the way over to a booth against the window and slides inside. Carefully I ease down to sit across from him. I am certifiable accident prone. It would be a good night if I don't fall on my ass in front of him. As he holds the glossy menu in front of his eyes, I get a good look at his hands. Although he cleaned them back at that shady warehouse, the slits and bruises were easily noticeable.

'They don't hurt that bad.' He murmurs across the table, catching my stare. 'How'd you know where I'd be anyway?'

'After English, I overheard a few guys talking about seeing you fighting the other week. They were planning on going, I sort of got them to tell me where it was.'

'All of that just to have dinner with me? All you had to do was ask.' He smirks, being completely full of himself again.

'Hey, you invited me to dinner not the other way around.' I remind him, folding my arms across my chest. Goosebumps graced my arms. Downtown LA in late September. Of course, they'd have the air conditioners running wild. Its the only form of fall we'd be seeing.

'I mean you did come all that way, I couldn't let you go home without eating anything.' As he talks his deep brown eyes are fixated on me, dancing with curiosity. 'What are you thinking about?' Justin wonders leaning against the slippery booth.

'What are you talking about?' I say suddenly so interested in the shiny silver napkin holder in front of me. Anything to avoid his intense eye contact. 'Who said I was thinking about anything?'

'I don't know you're looking at me like you want to ask me something.' He shrugs running his hand over the set of wings on his neck. I spent the last few classes studying his neck tattoo. It was beautiful. I imagined running my fingers over its entirety. 'So go ahead, ask.'

'Alright, how long have you been fighting?' I had so many questions but decided to start off nice and easy.

'For about two years, a little after I turned 18.' He nods just as Miss. Lu returns with our drinks. He closes his menu and hands it over to her, 'you already know what I want. The usual.'

'Of course, I don't know why you insist on getting a menu and sitting here fifteen minutes before ordering every time.' She places a hand on his shoulder and he smiles. They were cute. He was cute. 'How about you Olivia?'

'The waffles look really good.' I point before giving my menu away.

'They are, my own little recipe. I'll have Eli get your food started now.'

'Hm, waffles.' Justin eyes me as he takes a sip of his soda.

'And what's wrong with waffles?'

'Nothing, nothing.' He shakes his head in return, 'just nice to know you're a breakfast-at-night kind of girl.' He uses his thumb to wipe the corner of his bottom lip. Bringing that much more attention to them. How kissable they were.

'Well I'm full of surprises.'

'Oh I bet you are.' He simply replies from the other side of the table.

It was nearly two in the morning when I finally made it back to my dorm. I drop my bag and keys in the darkness, a silly smile plastered onto my face. My roommate, Zoey grumbles as she pulls a pillow over her head. I could already hear her never-ending rant about needing her beauty sleep that awaited me tomorrow morning. I go into the bathroom and stare at my reflection. My dark skin, glowing. No matter how hard I tried I couldn't stop smiling, because of him. All because of Justin.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi! I hope that you enjoyed the latest chapter and that you continue to follow along with the story! Feel free to leave a comment or any suggestion you may have, recommend, or subscribe! Thank you (: