Status: In Progress

Silence

Chapter 2

Chapter 2
I never felt like a third wheel when I got caught hanging with both Bridget and Drew alone. Bridget and I had met at University. I had transferred from my local community as a junior and Bridget was spending her first year living abroad as a foreign exchange student. Our relationship developed fast. We had kept in touch and when I moved down to Los Angeles for a job working with a management firm, she came to visit. During that visit, she had been able to land a few spots singing in some dive bars managers scouted out and before she headed off back home to London.

It had been her that offered me a job as her assistant once she had started to reach higher levels of fame. She had the money and needed a person she could trust to look out for her. She offered travel, security, and adventure. I couldn’t resist. Drew had come after and we immediately hit it off. He had become a pseudo-brother for me to replace the four siblings I left behind in California.

I couldn’t keep the smile off of my face as the stadium filled with energy. Drew had secured a private box for us to enjoy the game in peace. All around us, dedicated fans filled seats creating a sea of the home team colors. Music blasted deafening all other noise. Players littered the ice as the numbers on the clock started to dwindle.

“Keep an eye on the captain. He is the best player in the league.” Drew commented to me as our eyes locked on the ice. The announcer took over the attention of the arena as he announced both teams. Once the anthem had been sung, the referees called the game to begin.

“Really?” I looked down at the specific player and looked to see that his name is Sidney Crosby. “He looks pretty small compared to a few of the guys. Is he a shooter? Doesn’t look like he would be a goon.”

“Nah, he has an amazing ability to find the back of the net. I can’t believe you never heard of Crosby. Especially when you were in Boston. The Bruins hate him. They tend to meet in the playoffs.” He glanced over at me as couldn’t help but smile. I could hear Bridget on the other side laughing at our conversation.

“I should have learned by now to expect to be the third wheel when it comes to sports.” She gave both of us a mock glare and then went back to watching the game.

“It’s not my fault that I want to take advantage of her not knowing about a sport. I never get to catch her off-guard.” I made sure to give the back of his head some attention as I gave it a light smack.

“Yo, Drew what do you mean by that?” Eric, a friend of Drew’s asked as he sat behind us.

“This girl knows more about most sports than anyone I know.” Drew bragged as he gave me a light smile with a small look of pride behind it. “She was a college volleyball superstar.”

“No way, did you wear those shorts as well? Have any pictures?” Bridget didn’t even hesitate before punching him in the arm at the question.

“You wish.” I rolled my eyes before directing my attention back to the game. I hadn’t realized how quick the game actually was.

It only took a few minutes but I was entranced by the sport. The players had more grace on a pair of skates than anyone I had seen or played with on their own feet. All of the physicality gave something more to the game. I could imagine the feeling of being slammed into the board.

Pittsburg took the win for tonight and had disappeared into their locker room. Our group had spent the majority of the night drinking and eating ourselves silly. By the end of the game, we had all agreed to continue the party. Most of the guys apart from Drew’s crew were always down to party while Bridget and I were in need to blow off some pent-up steam.

In truth I never allowed myself to really drink in excess. I enjoyed the feeling as it coursed through my body but I could never allow myself to go over my limit. College had taught me how far to go. Tonight, however, I seemed to be skirting the limit.

“Looks like we won’t be the big spenders of the night.” Drew almost sang the words as he spoke. I glanced over my shoulder to follow his gaze.

“Come on. Let’s go dance.” Bridget stated as she signaled for me to stand up. I took the outstretched hand and exited the roped off area.

Bodies swarmed around in masses. The bass made my ears go deaf. Voices gave a sense of which song is playing but the actual words were a loss to me. Time felt as if it stood still. I had no idea how long we stayed on the floor but we both enjoyed it. There had been a lull between songs and I motioned for us to head towards the bar.

“Someone has been watching you since they got here,” Bridget noted as we both caught our breath.

“Where?” I let my eyes wander in both directions and there is no one.

“Apparently, the captain.” I could feel my face scrunch up in confusion for a moment before I followed her eyes. There sitting in the direct site is the Captain himself, Sidney Crosby.