Just Business

ten.

Over the next couple of days Max and I texted about the event that was being held at the Marriott in the city, it was a charity event for Cystic Fibrosis. Max had made me very aware that his parents were very nosey about his personal life, and not to let my guard down when it was time for the event.

Max had called in the middle of my workout at the gym. I was about to hit 15 miles on the treadmill when he called.

“So, what type of party is this? Like attire wise. Is a regular cocktail dress fine or fancy ball gown? I don’t have a walk-in closet you know.” I said trying to catch my breath as I stepped off the treadmill.

“Don’t worry, we’ll figure it out.”

I made my way over to the leg press and started lifting.

“My parents already asked if I was bringing a date, They will bombard you with questions and they will make you fell uncomfortable.” He said

“Oh well don’t they sound pleasant.” I said rolling my eyes.

He chuckled. “Don’t worry about them, They’re bark is bigger than their bite. Trust me on this.”

I shouldn’t trust Max at all, He’s technically still a stranger.

We talked a bit longer and I got up and my heart fell through my chest.

Henry was checking in at the front desk with his gym bag over his shoulder.

“Eloise? Hello Eloise? Are you there?”

Henry looked over and his eyes caught mine, like a trance.

“Oh no… Max I have to call you back.” I said.

“Wait!”

But as soon as I hung up, Henry had made his way over and he was smiling. Like he was happy to see me. Truthfully, I still wasn’t over him- I had done everything in my power to avoid Henry at all costs because there’s nothing I hate more than confrontation. Especially awkward confrontation.

“Eloise, hi.” He started.

I give him a small smile and try to look away. “Hi Henry.”

“Look, I..”

I put my hand up to stop him.

“Don’t Henry.” I said “Please.”

He sighed. “Please don’t be like that, you’ve been avoiding me for year.”

“Why does it matter? You have a new girlfriend.”

I turned on my heels and he followed me. Henry was very persistent.

“See, you do this all the time! You jump to conclusions about everything. Please just talk to me, I miss you Eloise.”

My heart hurt, it really did. I was a selfish bitch and I knew it but I couldn’t do it.

“I’m not in the mood to fight with you in the middle of this gym Henry, please leave me alone. When I’m ready to talk to you I will.”

I walked fast into the women’s locker room and into a bathroom stall and just cried. I cried because I hurt him, on multiple occasions and I just knew that it couldn’t be fixed.

I waited about fifteen minutes before grabbing my gym bag and walking out the front door I walked as fast as I can back to my apartment and showered. I crawled into my bed and under my covers and just cried.

All I wanted at that point in time was my Mom, she would have known how to make me feel better. But there was always one good piece of advice she gave that I always seem to neglect.

‘Everyone has feelings sugar, be careful how you treat others. Not everyone is as strong as you are.’

I was strong till Henry, he knew how to get over that wall and I hated that.

I avoided the world for the rest of the night and cried myself to sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it's so short folks, more to come soon ! :)