Just Business

eleven.

Aria and Helen were big Henry supporters and were bummed when we broke up. When I told them about the incident at the gym they freaked.

“No way, why didn’t you tell us sooner?” Aria said with a mouth full of cereal.

I shrugged and sipped my cup of coffee. “I don’t know, I honestly just want to forget it happened honestly.”

“Well what did he say?” Helen asked anxiously.

“He wanted to talk about the breakup, but I wasn’t ready to talk to him.” I said simply.

They looked at each other than at me. I knew they wanted to argue about it further, but they didn’t. They knew they wouldn’t win this argument.

“So, on a brighter note, I got a new job. So we won’t struggle with the rent.”

“Wait what? When did this happen?” Aria asked.

“About a few weeks ago, you guys are never home so how could I tell you.”

“Well what are you doing?” she asked.

I obviously wasn’t going to say anything about Max, so I lied a little.

“Just some secretary work, pays better.”

They gave me the ‘I know you’re lying’ look but didn’t argue further.

I showered and got dressed going into my room, and Max had sent me a text.

Come by my apartment around twelve, I have a meeting but I left you a key at the front desk. They know your name. 1243 Barnett Blvd.

Max lived in the Barnett building? Holy shit that was one of the richest apartment buildings in Chicago. I can’t wait to see this.

Ethan had called again as asked if I was sure I couldn’t go home, he was ready to lay the money out for me but I assured him it was fine. It sucks because I wanted to, just couldn’t afford it. I got to Max’s building and walked through the revolving doors. The woman sitting at the front desk smiled was on the phone and put the call on hold.

“Can I help you miss?” she asked.

“Oh um Max Bennett left a key to his apartment for me? I’m Eloise.”

“Oh! That’s right here you are dear. All the way up to the top floor.”

I took it from her and smiled. “Thank you.”

I pressed the elevator button and got in. It was about fourty seconds before the elevator dinged and the doors opened. His apartment was the only one on this floor.

I opened the front door and I nearly collapsed to the floor, this place was insanely big for one person. Max was a dark person, everything was black and white and dull. Imagine someone with terrible OCD and everything being in a certain spot in a certain way and that was Max’s apartment. He had these long black drapes and I pulled them back.

The most gorgeous view of the city I have ever seen in my life. I continued to explore the apartment more and Max’s kitchen was an absolute dream. I went in and scanned every inch.

My god I thought.

I opened the fridge and there was a pack of Poland Spring water bottles and some milk that looked expired.

I closed the fridge because it wasn’t my place to touch anything and went and explored some more. His bedroom had two double doors that went inside and it was awfully empty, Again- everything was black and white. Dreary.

I heard the front door open followed by mumbling on the phone.

“No! you listen to me Jake, don’t fuck this up for me okay? I dare you.”

I quickly closed the door and he looked up. I waved and smiled a little and he smiled.

“Yeah, whatever. We’ll talk later.” He said hanging up.

“You have an interesting place here.” I said. “You like black don’t you?”

He laughed throwing his phone on the counter and loosening his tie.

“It’s just who I am.”

“Oh, and you’re fridge is empty. I think it’s time to go food shopping.”

“Damn, has it been that long? I work so late takeout has been my friend at night, plus I really don’t like to cook.”
He went over to the fridge and opened it. He took the gallon of milk out that was almost empty and examined the date.

“Well, that was a week ago. Looks like were going food shopping.”

I raised an eyebrow. “Us?”

Why does he want me to go food shopping with him? It was a little weird but at the same time I was getting paid to be there so why as I questioning right?

He shrugged with a smile. “Why not? I mean you don’t have to but we do have the event coming up and I was going to take you to get a dress.”

Now he wants to buy me dresses? I don’t know about you, but that sounds like someone trying to buy my affection.

“You don’t have to buy me anything.” I said defensively.

He raised an eyebrow in confusion. “I told you we would take care of you not having anything to wear didn’t I? Look Eloise, if you don’t want to do this..”

I sighed. I felt bad now, he was trying to be nice and I just got defensive and I shouldn’t have.

“I’m sorry. I’m just under a lot of pressure right now.”

He smiled a little. “It’s alright, so I wont pressure you, if you don’t like anything you try on we don’t have to get anything okay?”

I nod and he smiles that beautiful devilish smile.

“Good, I’m going to go change and we’ll go.”

Max drove down to Bloomingdales and he sat outside the fitting room after I tried on at least ten dresses.

“Max?” I called.

“Yeah?”

I had on a knee length black cocktail dress with a mid-scoop back.

“I’m coming out.”

I opened the door and came out and his eyes widened.

“What?” I asked.

“You look great.” He said.

I turned showing him the back. “Is it too much?” I asked.

He shook his head no and smiled. “It looks great on you. If you want it, it’s yours.”

“Are you sure? I can pay..” I said.

“Eloise, please. Let me take care of it.” I sighed in defeat and nodded walking back into the fitting room to take it off.

He took the dress and made me pick out a pair of shoes to go with them. At this point I wasn’t going to argue with him anymore. After Bloomingdale’s we drove to Whole Foods and did the grocery shopping, he pushed the cart and talked as he shopped.

“Tell me about your family.” He said

“What do you want to know?” I asked.

He shrugged “Anything you’re willing to tell me.”

I started with my parents about how totally caring they are and they’re beautiful gentle souls. Then about my siblings and my niece and nephew and the one on the way.

He looked at me in awe. “You have a big family.”

“I’m from the south honey, what do you expect.” I said with a smile.
♠ ♠ ♠
what do you guys think of Eloise? Max? tell me everything ! :)