Just Business

thirteen.

I had just come back from the gym and Aria and Helen were standing in the kitchen and shot daggers at me when I walked in.

“What’s going on guys?” I asked.

“Fess up.” Aria said crossing her arms over her chest. She was mad, you could tell by the way she was burning holes into my eyes with hers.

“What are you talking about Aria?”

“We never see you anymore.” Helen began nervously. “You haven’t spoken to us in days, not to mention there’s a brand-new fancy dress hanging in front of your closet.”

I felt the urge of sudden guilt rush over me, these were my best friends and I was hiding a big secret from them. We never hide anything from each other. “You tell us everything El, what’s going on with you lately?”

I sat on a kitchen barstool so I was facing them.

“Guys look I’m sorry I’ve been trying to keep my head clear. I’ve been working more now to help out my Dad with some financial stuff at home.”

Aria dropped the hostile act and her face softened. “I’m sorry Eloise, you know how we are, were very protective of you. Hey, I have an idea. Let’s go out tonight what do you say?”

“Oh, can we? I need to find me a husband.” Helen stated.

They were right I needed to get out. Plus, we haven’t had a girl’s night in a really long time so I agreed.

“So, I wanted to tell you guys, I saw Henry.” I started.

There jaws dropped they nearly fell over when I said it. Aria and Helen absolutely loved Henry, from day one they loved him. They always made sure they got the full scoop on everything that had to do with Henry and when we broke up, it nearly killed them.

“And? What happened?” Helen asked.

I shrugged my shoulders. “He just wanted to talk.”

They look at each other then back at me. “But you didn’t.”

I shook my head no getting up to get a bottle of water from the fridge. “I didn’t want to start a big fight in the middle of the gym. Plus, I’m not ready to talk to him yet.”

Aria rolled her eyes at me. “Oh come on Eloise, you can’t bullshit a bullshitter, you and I both know how much you miss that man. I think you should talk to him, just give him a chance.”

She’s right, I do think about Henry a lot and I don’t admit it. Apart of me wants to fix it, but a part of me is really afraid and I felt like this was something that couldn’t be fixed.

I have an idea, lets all go out tonight! Like old times, Please?” Aria begged.

I sighed and nodded. “Fine, Let’s go.” I needed this.

We were going to one of my favorite bars in the Downtown Chicago area and I haven’t felt this excited to go out in a long time. I wore a red skintight dress with a sweetheart neckline and black heels.

The bar was packed as we made our way slowly over to the bar. Helen ordered a round of shots.

“This is for Eloise! Welcome back girl, we missed ya!” Aria said as we clanked our glasses together.

I was feeling great, I was having so much fun with my friends and the happiness I felt was something I haven’t felt in a really long time. We drank and we danced and I was about four drinks in when I finally started to feel my head spin.

“Eloise!” Helen said over the music. “You see that guy over there? That’s going to be my baby daddy.”
I laughed at her. She was so trashed already it was unreal but she was hysterical. I drank some more before I started to get really hot. I made my way outside and on some stacked milk crates on the sidewalk.


I thought about Henry.

I missed him and I was so angry at myself, I was so scared let him love me and I was so selfish and didn’t let him. I took my phone out and scrolled down to his name and hit the call button. It rang three times before he answered.

“Hello?”

I couldn’t gather my words quick enough. “Henry, Hi.”

“Eloise? Are you okay?” He asked.

I bit my lip nervously and sighed/ “I’m.. I’m drunk. So I’m sorry If I sound like an idiot.”
I already had anxiety of this conversation. “What’s going on?” He asked.
“Can you come get me please?” I asked.
“Of course, where are you?”
“Green Mill.”
“Don’t move, I’ll be there as I can.”

It was about fifteen minutes before Henry arrived he was wearing a white V-neck t-shirt and a pair of workout shorts with sneakers. He looked good in anything he wore.

“Hey.” I said standing up.

“Are you okay?” he asked.
I couldn’t hold it in anymore. All of the emotions I’ve hid behind that wall came crashing down and I lost it. My lip had quivered and I just started to cry. He walked towards me and took me into his arms holding me.

“I’m so sorry Henry.” I said in between sobs.

He ran his fingers through my curls like he always did, the way I loved. He still smelt the same, sandalwood mixed with citrus. I felt my heart doing backflips in my chest.

“It’s okay El, it’s okay.” He assured.

“But it isn’t! I’m so sorry. I shouldn’t have treated you that way! You must hate me.”

He took my face in his hands to make me look at him. “Eloise Reagan St. Claire, what happened wasn’t anyone’s fault. I never in my life for once hated you, nor will I ever, do you understand me?”
His thumb rubbed the tears away from my cheeks. “I love you so much, and I want you to know that.”
I hugged him tight and he continued to hold me there on the sidewalk. His lips had made their way to my forehead.

“Can you take me home?” I asked.

He nodded and I called Aria and told her I was going to head home and I would see her in the morning. We walked together side by side on the side walk quiet. It was getting chilly and I knew I should have brought a light jacket.

He wrapped his arm around me pulling me closer to him to keep warm. He walked me upstairs and stood in the doorway. I opened the door kicking my heels off.

“I’m really glad you called me El.”

“Really? But wait, your girlfri..”

He stopped me. “Cass, isn’t my girlfriend. She’s a co-worker. We work on the same project at work and we were discussing work stuff over lunch.”

I became quiet and looked down at the floor feeling guiltier. Typical Eloise always jumping to conclusions.

“Do you remember what I said the day we broke up?” He asked.

I nodded. “That I was worth waiting a lifetime for?”

He smiled and took my hands in his lacing our fingers. Electricity raced up my arms and throughout my body.

“I meant it.” He kissed my forehead. “Get some rest, I’ll call you tomorrow.”

I smiled and kissed his cheek goodnight and watched him walk down the stairs. I closed the door behind me and got out of my dress and sat in my bed. All I know is that I’ve stirred emotions that I never intended to stir again and I was scared. What I didn’t know how this hangover was going to bite me in the ass the next morning.
♠ ♠ ♠
re-wrote the chapter Feedback please!!!!