Just Business

seventeen.

I was up at five in the morning because I couldn’t sleep. I was too busy crying because of the way I acted towards Henry, I was a total coward. Because I couldn’t face him. I wanted to go and knock on the door where he was staying apologize profusely, but I didn’t.

I pulled out my phone and checked my bank account and it was larger than it was yesterday.
Max must have sent more money to my account.

I went down to the kitchen and my Dad was making coffee and getting Momma’s tea ready.
“Well, you’re up early.” He said putting the kettle on the stove.

“Can’t sleep.” I said sitting next to him.

He passed me a coffee cup and took out the vanilla creamer. Daddy was always up early, making sure everything was ready for Momma in the morning.

“So, your Momma isn’t up yet. I thought we would talk about where you’re getting all this money from.” He said crossing his arms.

“Daddy please..”

He held up his hand to interrupt me. “Eloise Jane. Don’t you dare start, I am your father and I want to tell me the truth.” He said sternly.

I sighed. “I got a better job Dad, I work as a secretary for a big company I get to attend these charity events and I get paid for going.”

He knows that I don’t like to lie to him, and I knew he could sense that I was telling him the truth, well partly at least. He wasn’t stupid, and I knew that.

He nodded and sighed pouring coffee into my mug then to his then he leaned against the counter.

“So, are you going to tell me about the nice boy who can’t seem to keep his eyes off you?”

I groaned and put my face down on the counter.

“Dad, can we not talk about him please?” I begged.

He laughed “Oh why not? Afraid of talking about boys with your old man?”

“Dad.. seriously?”

“Seriously Eloise, he looks at you and it seems like the whole world stops.”

I felt my heart dip into my chest and I sighed. “Daddy, I’m a selfish brat.”

“Why do you say that? What happened with you two?”

I told him how Henry and I were together for little over two years and how we were agreeing on moving in together at one point and everything just came down crumbling.

“Do you still love him?” he asked.

I shrugged and sighed. “I don’t know Dad, maybe.”

“I think you should talk to him. Whatever happened is clearly affecting the both of you. If you feel like it needs to be fixed, then fix it.”

All the girls got together upstairs and got ready for the engagement party while the guys were downstairs with the kids. I picked out one of my favorite dresses a soft pink off the shoulder that just hit the top of my knees with a cute pair of nude open toe shoes.

We helped Mama get dressed and we did her makeup, that was the first time in a long time I ever saw her laugh and enjoy herself with all her girls.

I came downstairs because I left my clutch on the counter and Henry was in the kitchen on his phone, and boy did he look like a straight snack.

“Hi.” I said.

He gave a half smile. “Hey, you look beautiful El.”

I smiled walking over to him. “Thanks, not too shabby yourself Mr. Danvers.”

I the collar of his shirt was up in the back and I fixed it and he smiled. “I’m sorry.” He said

“Don’t be you have nothing to be sorry for, I should be apologizing.”

He took my hands in his and held them gently. “Look, I know what we went through is hard- and I know your scared. But trust me when I tell you that I don’t want to hurt you again. So, if this is it between us. Can we just get along? Or at least try to?”

“Let’s make it through tonight okay? No fighting?”

He smiled and let go my hands. “Okay.”

Henry rode with Ethan and Meadow and I went with Dad and Momma. My Dad booked the party room at our favorite restaurant growing up and it looked beautiful. My sisters had came early this morning as soon as they opened to help set up the decorations.

I put my bag on the seat and my made my way to the restroom with my phone.

I dialed Max and it rang three times before he answered.

“Well well well, look who it is.” He teased.

I laughed. “How’s everything? I just wanted to see how you were.”

“I’m fine. I haven’t slept in three days..”

“Max, you need a break. You work too hard.” I said with a frown.

“I know but it hasn’t been good enough lately, My Dad was on my ass the past few days and these people that I’m trying to get..” he trailed.

“Max.” I said stopping him. “Get some sleep, you sound rough.”

He sighed. The type of sigh Max did when he knew I was right and he was wrong.

“Alright fine, oh how’s your family event so far?” he asked.

I sighed. “Eventful.”

He chuckled. “Sounds like some good drama.”

If Max only knew what I had been through, if he only knew. But he wouldn’t.

I laughed. “Okay no go to sleep, make sure you eat too.”

“Yes mother.” He said sarcastically with a laugh then hung up.

Through-out the night wine was my best friend I lost count of how many glasses of wine I had cause the waitress kept coming over and filling my glass.

I sat down next to Henry and he smiled. “Henry, question have you been monitoring my vino intake? Because I think I lost track.” I said downing the rest of my glass.

“I think that’s number six.”

I put my glass on the table and then my heart dropped. Our favorite song came on I used to sing this to Henry.

I looked at him and he smiled scooting closer. “Sing it El.”

I took his hand and pulled him to the dance floor, I wrapped my arms up and around his back and he held me close to him.

“There goes my heart beating, cause you are the reason I’m losing my sleep please come back now.”

He put his cheek against my mine and closes his eyes as I sang. We did this a lot when we were dating, random nights when we just played music and danced around his living room. He loved when I sang to him.

“There goes my mind racing, and you are the reason that I am still breathing I’m hopeless now.”

He hummed along as I sang and I couldn’t help but notice my parents watching with smiles on their faces. I knew they were watching the entire time and was prepping myself for Q&A later. But I just stayed there because in that moment there with Henry, everything felt okay.

“I’d climb every mountain and swim every ocean, just to be with you and fix what I’ve broken. Oh, cause I need you to see that you are the reason.”

I felt the tears welling in my eyes and my lip tremble. I held onto Henry tighter and he just rubbed my lower back. He pressed his lips into my hair and whispered loud enough for me to hear.

“You always sing that so beautifully.”

I smiled and rested my head on his shoulder as the song continued and he gently guided me around the dance floor. When the song finished I looked up at him and he touched my cheek with a smile.
He took my hand and led me back to the table. Everything in me told me to kiss him, but I didn’t. I wanted to so bad, and I know he did too but he didn’t.

After the party we got back to the house and everyone went inside. Henry walked with me up the stairs and we sat out on the porch on the swing.

He put his arm around me and held me close to him. I wanted to believe that everything could go back to normal with Henry. I really did. I sort of hoped it would, maybe one day who knows. All I know is that right now, the wall that I had worked so hard to build over the past year had somehow crumbled and fallen, and Henry had made his way back to the other side.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know most of you are pretty emotional with this love triangle. But it only gets crazier from here guys. Just wait for it ;)