Just Business

four.

On the way to work I decided to stop for my coffee at Starbucks. I was running late today and running in heels meant I could be even more late, or I was going to trip and break both my ankles.

When I got there, I noticed the entrance was being blocked. The guy from the club standing there with the tall blonde I had seen him with two nights earlier.

I stood there for a second hoping he would see me but I didn’t. That’s when I started to get annoyed- I tapped his shoulder and he looked down at me.

“Excuse me. Do you mind?” I asked pointing to the door.

He gave me a small smirk and stepped to the side and pushed the door open allowing me to pass.

“My apologies.” He said.

I rolled my eyes and walked in and waited on the line for my coffee. I casually would look over my shoulder and catch him staring at me even though he was with something. Something was really off about this guy, and I didn’t like it at all.

When I came out he was there alone, the girl had probably had left when I went into the store.

“Hey!” he called as I started to walk.

“Can I help you?” I ask trying not to look at him.

“You’re that girl right? From the club the other night.” He said now next to me.

“Who’s asking? You or your friend that was just here not even five minutes ago with you.” I shot.

“Woah! Calm down there feisty, just a question. My name is Max, what’s yours?”

I stopped in my tracks and glared at him. “Do you honestly think I’m going to tell you my name? We just met about a minute ago, plus this whole chase thing isn’t cute. I don’t think your girlfriend or whatever she is, would appreciate this.”

He grinned from ear to ear and stuffed his hands in his pockets.

“You’re feisty, I like that a lot.” He said “Alright fine, you don’t have to tell me your name. You’ll tell me sooner or later.”

I laughed and rolled my eyes waving as I started to walk away. “Keep dreaming Romeo.”

“See you around!” he called.

“Not a chance!” I called back.

Next time, I think I’m going to have to walk with that pepper spray Ethan got for me when I first moved here.

One year ago.
Henry and I walked down to the park, his arm wrapped around my shoulder mine around his waist. His fingertips grazing my shoulder and I had never felt safer with someone in my life.

“Eloise, are you okay?” He asked.

“Yeah, I’m fine don’t worry.” I assured smiling.

He knew I was lying to him. He always knew when I wasn’t telling the truth. Henry was good at that; he knew me better than my own brother as horrible as that sounds.

“You’re not okay. You know not to lie to me because it won’t work.” He said smiling.

I smiled and wiped a stray tear from my face. We sat on a bench and he held my hands in his.
“Are you going to tell me what’s bothering you now?”

I was quiet for a few seconds then looked up at him.

“Henry, I love you. I do- I can’t do this anymore. I. I just feel like my head is going to explode. I don’t sleep, I hardly eat anymore, I’m not financially stable all I do is worry about my mom. I’m tackling 40+ hours a week just trying to send money home to help with hospital bills.”

The tears began to well in my eyes and I felt my lip begin to tremble and automatically the look of distress took over his face because he quickly put his arms around me and held me for a good ten minutes while I cried.

He sighed deeply before cradling my cheeks in his hands and kissed my forehead.

“I want you to take as much time as you need to get through this okay? I’m willing to do anything that makes you happy.”

This wasn’t going to make me happy, I wanted to have Henry in my life, but I couldn’t.
“I can’t ask you to sit around and wait for me Henry, it’s selfish.”

He flashed that beautiful grin that always made my knees weak and put his arm around my shoulder.

“Eloise, you’re worth waiting a lifetime for.”

But as time went on, I pushed Henry away because I was emotionally unstable and selfish no denying it, because he wanted to be there for my family and I but I wouldn’t let him.
Then he just stopped calling.
♠ ♠ ♠
I actually really love Henry. I'm actually torn between the two, you'll get to know more about Max soon ;)