Just Business

seven.

Momma had an episode last night. Daddy called an ambulance around three am and they were there all day and all night. Fluid had been building up in her lungs and she couldn’t breathe. I couldn’t sleep all night long and I was anxious to get a bag packed and fly home to be with her and with everyone.
My father had assured me that everything would be alright and not to worry too much.
But it’s not that easy, I miss my parents, I miss my siblings and my nieces and my nephew I miss everything about home.

I decided to take the day off from work to deal with some emotions and get myself on track. Ever since I saw Henry I couldn’t help but feel as if my heart had been stomped on over and over into a million pieces all over again.
Ethan was flying home to see my mom tomorrow with Meadow to announce their engagement to the family. I was a little bummed that I would miss it, but I was glad that I was first to know about it.

So I did a little research and looked into my “stalkers” background. It turns out Max, is Maxwell Bennet of Bennet Industries, his father is one of the most powerful men in this city, not to mention his family is loaded with money. They own a chain of companies across the state working to buy and sell expensive pieces of art to museums. Not to mention he has a bad partying reputation. To me, it seemed like he is nothing but a womanizer.

I went down to the café down the street for lunch and sat at an empty table picking up the menu to order. Just as the waiter had taken my order I looked up to see Max smiling at me.

“Good Morning Eloise.”

I groan and rub my face. “What do you want Max?”

“Am I not allowed to greet a beautiful woman on a beautiful day like this?” he asks with a devilish grin.

I cringed and felt my blood start to boil, he was making me angry now, he thought he was being cute but he was arrogant and there’s nothing I hate more than a man who thinks he can get everything he wants.

“Stop trying to sweet talk me, what do you want?” I asked again, more firmly.

“Easy their tiger, I just came to offer you a job.”

He sat down across from me and his eyes just stared deep into mine.

“Look I know you work for that little Magazine on Montgomery, and a little bird on the inside tells me the pay isn’t great.”

“Wait, how do you know all of this? Who do you know?”

How does he know where I work? He defianatly is a serial killer and is watching me, like they do in those movies. The men that prey on the defenseless females then they strike.

“Relax relax,” he put his hands up in defense. “I just wanted to ask you if you want to make some extra money is all.”

I raised an eyebrow. “Are you offering me a job Mr. Bennett? Do you pity me is that it? Because I don’t make as much as you?”

“Eloise, relax. I don’t want to offend you. I just want to help is all.”

I was just beyond annoyed by now and I put money down on the table for the waiter getting up.

“Look, I don’t know who you think I am Mr. Bennett, but I’m not that kind of girl okay? Find someone else to bother.”

I turned around and began to walk back towards my apartment. The whole time I could feel his eyes burning holes into my back the entire time.