Status: It's been too long, friends....

Him and I

I Am His

The Knights were on a two week road trip following the All Star game so Alex stayed behind in Tampa to hang out with Steven and enjoy the comfortable winter weather Florida offered. She planned to head to Nashville after to spend some time at For Goodness Cakes.

After the other guys left, Steven took Alex out to dinner where they ran into Ryan Callahan, Dan Girardi, and their wives. Alex immediately clicked with the women and they joined them for dinner. During the meal, Kyla Callahan had mentioned how the bakery that was supposed to be making cupcakes for their daughters birthday had abruptly closed and that she was trying to find someplace else to take the order on such short notice.

“I’ll do it,” Alex offered. “Steven has plenty of room for me to work in his kitchen.”

“Alex is an amazing baker,” Steven told the others. “She owns a bakery in Nashville and me, Tavares, and PK have been trying to convince her to take our money to open a new place in Vegas ever since last summer.”

“I don’t want to interrupt your vacation,” Kyla told her.

“It wouldn’t,” Alex smiled. “Besides, the alternative is that you have to buy whatever random cupcakes you can find at the grocery store. Please, let me help you out. It truly would be my pleasure.”

“Okay, if you’re sure you don’t mind.”

“I don’t. Let me give you my number and you can give me all the details and what you want.”

The next morning, while Steven was at practice, Alex met up with Kyla and went shopping for supplies. By the time Steven got home, Alex had cupcakes baking and she had flour in her hair. He tried to steal an unfrosted cupcake but she shooed him away with a warning not to touch them.

Once everything was out of the oven, Steven took her to lunch and then they wandered around Tampa’s Riverwalk, stopping at the Florida Museum of Photographic Arts and then the Tampa Museum of Art. They stopped in the park for awhile, sitting in the grass and relaxing. Eventually they headed back to Steven’s, grabbing take out and eating on Steven’s deck overlooking the water. Alex got tired before Steven and turned in, leaving Steven sitting outside on promises he’d clean up from dinner.

Alex got up at eight the next morning to work on decorating the cupcakes for the party that afternoon when she saw it.

“Steven fucking Stamkos! I am going to kill you!” Alex shouted up the stairs. She let out a growl of frustration before stalking back to the kitchen. A few minutes later Steven strolled into the room with an easy smile, grabbing an apple from the fruit bowl and biting into it.

Alex turned to him with a frown, tapping her foot as he continued to eat. “Do you have anything to say for yourself?”

“Nope.”

“Steven!” She shrieked.

He chuckled. “It’s just cupcakes, Alex.”

She threw a dish towel at him. “You ate a dozen cupcakes, Steven. I told Kayla I’d bake three dozen cupcakes for Evelyn’s birthday party and now I have two. Do you know what that means?”

“No?”

“It means you’re helping me make more cupcakes, Stamkos.”

He groaned. “Al-ex!”

“I told you not to eat them. Now you have to help me make them.”

“Do you make Nealer bake?”

“James doesn’t eat the food I bake when I tell him not to. And only one of you has ever willingly baked with me.”

“Johnny?”

She shrugged. “He was trying to cheer me up and I wanted to make cookies but the first batch had too much salt so he measured ingredients for me the second time.”

Steven rolled his eyes. “He’s such a Boy Scout.”

Alex slapped his arm. “Don’t call John names,” she reprimanded him.

Steven rubbed his arm. “First of all, ow! Second of all, I don’t think I like that John is your best friend. You’re supposed to like me best.”

She laughed as he pouted. “Tough cookies. Now go wash your hands.”

At two thirty Steven was pulling onto the Callahan’s street and found a place to park. He carried two boxes of cupcakes and Alex carried the other towards the house. “Sorry we’re late,” Alex apologized when they spotted Ryan just inside the house. “Where’s the kitchen?”

He pointed. “That way. Here, let me help,” he offered, taking the box from Alex. “Kyla’s out back if you want to find her. I’ll take care of these.”

“Thanks. Don’t let Steven eat them.” She headed off towards the backyard and Steven followed Ryan.

“I hope Kyla wasn’t freaking out too much about us being late,” Steven said after he set down the boxes of cupcakes he had.

“Alex texted her earlier, said you had to help her remake some of them and that you might be running behind,” Ryan grinned easily.

“They looked so good and once I ate one I couldn't stop.”

Ryan pulled back the lid on one of the boxes and peered in at the cupcakes. Vanilla and chocolate cupcakes with fluffy, swirled frosting in a rainbow of colors, topped with sugar flowers and butterflies.

“I helped color the sugar for the flowers,” Steven told Ryan proudly.

“Shit, Stammer, these look amazing. You gotta make Alex let me pay her for these. Kyla wanted to but she refused to take any money.”

“If you think I can make Alex do something you’re sadly mistaken, Cally. That girl has a mind of her own and when it’s made up, it's made up. Even Nealer can’t persuade her and you’d think if he was giving her the D she’d be putty in his hands but no.”

Ryan shook his head. “This is why you're single,” he told him. “Jesus...” He started outside and after a beat, Steven followed. Ryan was heading towards another one of their teammates, Dan Girardi, and he saw a couple of the other guys with kids scattered around the backyard. He spotted Alex and headed towards her.

“Hey, you talking about me?” he asked casually, putting his arm around Alex’s shoulders.

She looked up at him. “Not everything is about you.”

“Even if you are blond and tan and pretty,” Kyla added.

Steven turned to her with his panty melting smile. “You think I'm pretty?” He fluttered his eyelashes at her and Kyla giggled. Alex smacked him in the chest with the back of his hand. “Ow! Why are you so mean to me?”

“Because someone has to bring your ego back to earth,” she replied.

“Cally said you refused to let him pay you for the cupcakes and he wants me to make you take his money.”

“I haven’t baked for fun in a long time. He’s not paying me to do something I love and enjoy.”

“I can’t wait to see them,” Kyla said.

“I think they turned out pretty cute, even if I did have to remake a dozen of them this morning,” she said while looking pointedly at Steven.

“They’re delicious,” Steven promised with a toothy grin.

A baby’s wail cut through the air and Kyla turned in it's direction. “Duty calls,” she smiled. “Thank you for making the cupcakes, Alex. It was a huge help. And I really do wish you’d let Ryan and I pay you for your time.”

“It was time well spent,” she replied. “But I wouldn't say no to an autographed puck for my collection.”

“Consider it done,” Kyla told her. “Have fun,” she waved before walking away.

“You have an autographed puck collection?” Steven asked her. “I didn’t know that.”

Alex smiled. “It started the first game I went to, after James hit my car in Dallas. He got me tickets and he scored in the game so he gave me the autographed puck after. Then when he went to Pittsburgh, he scored the first game I went to there and he did the same thing. In Nashville, he scored in his first home game and his family was there and he gave me that puck in front of all of them so for Christmas that year, I got signed pucks from his brothers.”

“So you have a bunch of autographed junk is what you’re telling me.”

“No, Paul brought me one back from Sochi that he signed for me, and John gave me one when I visited him. I have others too; Richie and Mo each gave me one before they left Dallas, and Richie sent me one from when he was in New York and Chicago too. I’ve collected a few others at random. James wouldn't let me met Lundqvist at the All Star game but he did get me a signed puck. And Rylie Staal promised to mail me on once they got back to Minnesota. Segs has sent me one too.”

“You’ve never asked me,” Steven pouted.

“This is the first time I’ve ever come to Tampa,” she pointed out. “And you, PK, and John have all given me autographed jerseys.”

“But John gave you a puck.”

“Johnny didn’t know I collected them at the time. He was just being John.”

“Well I wanna be nice too.”

“No one is stopping you.”

Alex noticed then a small group of women nearby that had obviously noticed Steven as they whispered amongst themselves. “Looks like you’ve been spotted,” she said to Steven quietly.

Steven glanced in their direction and smiled, waving causally. Alex snorted back a laugh at him. “You’re ridiculous,” she told him.

“I know,” he winked. “Think any of them are single?”

“No, I can see the sun glittering off several rings from here. Besides, in case you are forgetting, this is a children's birthday party which means that most likely those are all moms to children here so if any one of them were single, they would also come with a kid. So unless you've rapidly developed some sort of personality that could deal with dating a single mother who you’re always going to play second fiddle to her kid, I suggest you hold off on the panty dropping smiles.”

Steven frowned. “Good point. Come on, let’s go meet the guys.”

~*~*~


Alex sat with Kyla Callahan two nights later at the Lightning game. She had had a good time in Tampa with Steven but was leaving for Nashville the next day. During intermission, Kyla turned to her.

“So,” she started.

“So what?” Alex asked curiously.

“While you were helping me serve cupcakes, Steven was asking Ryan about our babysitter.”

“You have a regular babysitter?”

“Oh yeah. During the season it’s a huge help. I give Jill the schedule when it comes out and we coordinate from there. The girls love her and she is great about covering on game nights so I can come without the kids and she’s a huge help on the nights they do come with.”

“So she’s what, in high school? College?”

“She graduated two years ago and is a preschool teacher.”

“Oh.”

“Anyway, Steven thought he was being real cool and casual but Ryan caught on pretty quickly. But she has a daughter.”

Alex’s eyebrows shot up. “Daughter?”

“She’s eight.”

“Wow....”

“You know Steven better than I do so I’m asking your opinion. I adore Jill, and she’s been single the whole time I’ve known her. She needs a good guy, and to me Steven has always come across as a good guy. So if you think he’s a god guy, then maybe I can set them up. I just don’t want her to get hurt if all Steven is after is a good time, you know?”

“I know. And Steven is a great guy and if I had a sister I’d probably set her up with him. But she has a daughter; I don’t know if Steven is grown up enough to deal with that.”

“I hear you. I've known enough hockey players in my life to understand exactly what you mean.”

After the game, Alex and Steven hit up a bar with a few of his teammates before heading back for his house. Alex called James to check in and after getting off the phone, joined Steven in his living room.

“How’s Nealer?”

Alex smiled. “He’s James.”

“Can I ask you something?”

“Sure.”

“How did you know? That James was the one I mean.”

“It’s just a feeling. I’m not sure how to describe it exactly. I just knew. I think maybe I’ve always known but pushed it aside and discounted it.”

“You were in a relationship though; there had to be something that pushed you from the goalie to James.”

“James being open and honest with me about the way he felt pushed me to face my truth. And once I did I couldn’t turn back. I didn’t want to hurt Pekka but I was in love with James. I couldn’t deny it any more and I didn’t want to either. I just wanted to be with him.”

“Sometimes I still can’t believe that Nealer of all people was the first of us to settle into a committed relationship.”

“John is the obvious one. Settled, married, and with a baby on the way.”

“Yet it’s James. Go figure.”

“When are you gonna meet a girl and settle down?”

“Probably never.”

“Never say never, Steven. She’ll come along.”

“Hey, did you meet the Callahan’s nanny at the birthday party?”

“Briefly. She seemed nice.”

“Yeah.”

“Steven....she has a daughter.”

“I know.”

She studied him for a moment before nodding. “Just be smart, okay?”

“I promise. It’s late; we should go to bed so I don’t oversleep and keep you here.”

Alex laughed. “You could try but PK would for sure show up to ensure I show up in Nashville this time.”

~*~*~


As the Knights continued their two week road trip. Alex left Tampa Bay and headed onto Nashville to spend time at For Goodness Cakes.

Alex opened the shop every morning while she was visiting Nashville and Katharyn usually came in around ten with coffee. While Alex baked, Katharyn and one of the college girls she had hired worked the front.

The Preds were at home for three games that fell during the visit and PK stopped in on the non game days after practice to take Alex to lunch. The first day he showed up, Roman followed a few minutes later bearing two bags of food.

“Hey, Roman,” Alex smiled. “Whatcha got there?”

“Just lunch.”

“For me?”

“Subby made sure everyone knew he was taking you to lunch so I thought I’d hang here with Kat.”

She nodded. “I see. So then what are your intentions for my friend?”

“Really? Your boyfriend read me the riot act already, now you are too?”

“Back up a second. What do you mean James read you the riot act?”

“I mean when I texted Nealer back in October about whether he could find out from you if you thought she’d go out with me if I asked, that he told me if all I was looking for was a good time that I needed to find someone else and that if I did ask Kat out and if I hurt her in any way he’d take the first flight out here to kick my ass.”

“He never told me you asked him that.”

“Probably because he knew if I fucked up you’d come murder me. I had to talk Kat out of hopping a flight to Vegas. She wanted to mess James up something fierce.”

“Before I decided to come to his first game back, she called and offered to cap him in the knee a la Nancy Kerrigan at practice. When I told her I was coming she said he still deserved it.”

“That sounds like my girl.”

“You two are so cute together; I’m glad you asked her out.”

“Actually,” Katharyn interrupted as she walked out from the back, “I asked him out.”

Roman grinned. “Apparently I was taking too long.”

“That and PK was in here every day not at all being subtle trying to push us together.”

“Subtlety is not in PK’s vocabulary,” Alex laughed. “But I also might have mentioned to him that setting the two of you up would be a very good idea.”

“I should have known he got the idea from you.”

“I couldn't help myself. You had nothing but a string of horrible first dates and every time Roman visited the shop, you floated for at least twenty minutes afterwards. I just needed someone to make sure this year you two got the nudges you needed to make it happen. And it all worked out.”

“It worked out beautifully,” Roman grinned.

~*~*~


Alex wore the jersey PK had given her to his games that week and sat with Katharyn and a couple of the other girls she knew. She had enjoyed her time in Nashville but she was also looking forward to getting back to Vegas.

Of all places, she never expected Vegas to be a place she’d grow so attached to so quickly but she had and she liked the life she and James were making there, and the bonds they were making with the people there that had quickly become family.

Her flight back to Vegas after a week in Nashville left early, a little after six in the morning but had her back in Vegas just before noon. She got a cab home since James was just finishing up at practice. His car was in the driveway as the cab driver pulled up. She paid him and hurried to the front door.

“James! I’m home!” Alex called out as she let herself inside.

A moment later she heard his footsteps thundering towards her and she squealed as James lifted her up, hugging her to him as he twirled her around.

“I missed you,” he said burying his face in her hair and breathing in her scent.

“I missed you too.”

“Did you have fun? Was Stammer a jerk? Did he try to put the moves on you?”

She laughed. “Do you really think Steven would hit on me?”

“No.”

“He was a total gentleman. And so was PK.”

“I never expected otherwise from Subby. Did you get to bake?”

“Everyday in Nashville. But best of all, in Tampa, I got to make cupcakes for a little girls birthday party and I had so much fun doing it.”

“How in the world did you find a birthday party to bake for in Tampa?”

“Steven’s teammate, Ryan Callahan. She mentioned that her baker had canceled on her so I offered. Steven even helped me.”

“And did you find Stammer a girlfriend during your week? Because I seem to recall you telling me a week was all you needed.”

“Steven attracts plenty of attention all on his own, he doesn’t need help...but yes, there might be someone, if he’s ready.”

“And PK?”

“I don’t think PK needs any help finding the right girl; his family won’t let him anywhere near the wrong one.”

“That’s true.”

“But baby Subby, now we gotta look out for that one. At least that’s what I promised mom.”

“Mom?”

“Yeah, Mama Subban. She said I can call her mom. The fam came into town the day before I left.”

“So you’re telling me you’ve been adopted into the Subban’s?”

“Pretty much. They really appreciate us watching out for Malcolm.”

“He’s a good kid. So you had fun?”

“A blast,” she grinned.

“When are you going to Nashville again?”

“I don’t think I am,” she answered honestly.

“I don’t understand...your business is there.”

“I love For Goodness Cakes, but it's not my business anymore. I think I’m gonna offer to sell my part of the business to Kat.”

“But....it’s your life, Alex. You love to bake, and I know how much you love the customers.”

“I know, but your my life too, and I don’t know where it’s going but it’s probably not going to be back there.”

“I don’t want you to give up your dreams for me though.”

“I’m not. I won’t. I had an idea and I already talked to Johnny about it.”

James groaned. “You talked to Tavares before me?”

“Well it’s his money I’m gonna be spending.”

“You’re finally going to let him invest in your next business?” He asked excitedly.

“Maybe. John is going to set up a phone meeting for me with his financial advisor to talk and see if it’s even viable.”

“You know I can help you find someone local to talk to.”

“I know but if John’s really going to invest in my business, then I feel better taking his money if, and only if, his people think I’ve got a sound business idea and plan.”

“Yeah, I guess that makes sense. So are you going to tell me about this idea or do I have to wait to hear about it from Stammer?”

“Only John knows; that’s who I sound my ideas off of.”

James groaned. “Really?”

“Really. Like it or not, he really has become my best friend.”

“I thought I was your best friend,” he pouted.

“Once you became my boyfriend, I needed someone else to talk about my love life with.”

“You talk about me with Tavares?!”

“Mostly we talk about his love life since he’s trying to win over a girl. But sometimes, yeah, we talk about you.”

“Why though?”

“You know how your friends like that you date me because I’m a girl and can give them advice and insight into the mind of a woman?”

“Yeah, so?”

“So in that same vein, John is a hockey player who can give me insight into the mind of my hockey player boyfriend.”

“Oh.”

“And also because Steven gives terrible advice.”

He laughed. “I’m glad you’re home.”

“Me too.” She took his hand and tugged him towards the bedroom.

“Are you trying to take advantage of me, Alexandra Gates?”

She smirked. “I might be. You interested?”

He scooped her up in his arms and ran the rest of the way, tossing her into the middle of the bed and tumbling in after her. “What do you think?”

“I think I like taking advantage of you.”

“I think I like that too,” he winked.