Status: It's been too long, friends....

Him and I

And He Is Mine

James awoke on February twenty sixth with trepidation. It was 5:45 in the morning and there was no reason for him to be awake that early but his nerves wouldn’t let him sleep. He rolled towards Alex beside him and pulled her body to his, holding her tightly and burying his face into her hair.

“Can’t sleep?” Her raspy, sleep laced voice half whispered to him as she snuggled deeper into him.

“No,” he sighed.

“Whatever happens, happens. You’ll be okay. We’ll be okay.”

“But what if it’s Vancouver?”

She moved in his arms to face him. “You’ll have to show me the ropes of getting a work visa if that happens.”

He smiled. “You gonna bring that food truck to Vancouver?”

“That food truck is going everywhere with me.”

The food truck was Alex’s idea for being able to bake on her terms, for fun. She sold the majority of For Goodness Cakes to Katharyn but still owned a small part of the business. With the help of John’s accountant, she came up with a business plan by the end of January, a good one, and had taken her proposal to John, then Steven, and then PK over Skype a couple weeks earlier.

She made them take it as seriously as she was, which included overnighting them business proposals to look over but they all signed on to be silent partners without hesitation. She had John on speaker phone when their funds were released into her business account. John had laughed at her enthusiasm as James described to him the spazzy little happy dance she did in their kitchen.

“You made her day, Tavares,” James chuckled. Alex stopped mid dance, her eyes wide as her mouth dropped open.

“What’s wrong?” James asked as her hand covered her mouth.

“That’s it,” she said, almost to herself.

“What’s it? Are you having a stroke or something?”

“She’s having a stroke?” John’s voice came from the phone.

“I am not having a stroke, you idiots. The name. I know the name of my cake truck,” Alex told them. She came around to kiss James. “It was what you just said.”

“Me?”

“Yeah, you Nealer,” she smiled.

“So what is it?” John asked.

“Cake My Day,” Alex answered. “Oh my god, it’s so perfect!”

In between practice, home games, and road trips, that was how James found himself just as invested in Alex’s dream as she was in his. She had bought a truck from a restaurant that was going out of business and sought out a local artist to help her create a logo and design for the truck. It was currently with the painters and after it was back, and with a few final changes to the equipment inside, Cake My Day would be ready for it's debut. The only question that remained was whether that debut would be in Las Vegas or somewhere else.

“Do you have practice this morning?” Alex asked.

“Yeah.”

“Then go back to sleep until you have to get up to be there on time. There’s no reason to worry about what might happen today.”

“You’re right,” he sighed as he closed his eyes again. Two minutes later, he rolled away from Alex and stepped out of bed.

“Where are you going?” Alex asked.

“I think I’m gonna run around the neighborhood or something,” he answered as he started to change his clothes.

Alex pulled the covers over her head. “They aren’t going to trade you, James.”

“You never know. I’ll be back soon.”

One hand came out from under the covers and waved and James chuckled to himself as he left the room.

James had his headphones on, listening to music twenty minutes into his run when the music was interrupted by an incoming call.

Stammer.

James slowed his pace to a walk and answered the call. “Hello?”

“Nealer, what’s going on?”

“You called me, Stammer. What’s up?”

“Nothings up, just calling to say hi, see how life is.”

“Did Alex call you?”

“Why would Alex call me?”

“Because it’s trade deadline day and I’m worked up.”

“She didn’t call me. I just figured you’d already be up worrying yourself to death. Am I right?”

“You caught me in the middle of a run.”

“You know you don’t have to worry, man. You guys are doing so much better than anyone expected and you’re integral to the team. I mean you guys are what? Two points behind us? You could win the Presidents Trophy the way you’ve been playing. They’re not going to mess with what is obviously a winning formula.”

“Maybe you’re right. But there’s still like eight hours until this is all over and I can breathe easy.”

“Whatever, dude. You’re golden. You’re not going anywhere today. Now get your ass home and make that girlfriend of yours breakfast.”

James laughed. “I think it would probably be a better plan if I went and got some doughnuts instead of attempting to cook.”

Ten minutes later James was back at home and getting in his car, heading to get doughnuts. When he made it back, Alex was still in bed so James took a quick shower. He wrapped a towel around his waist and stepped into the bedroom just as his phone rang.

“Hey, John,” he answered.

“Hey, just wanted to check in. Alex called a couple days ago and was worried you were going to be worrying today.”

“Stammer already talked me off the ledge.”

“At least he’s good for something then.”

James chuckled. “I thought when he called me it was because Alex called him. Should have known better than to think she’d call anyone but you.”

“Sorry your girlfriend likes me better than Steven.”

“I’m not sure that’s a bad thing; could you imagine the life advice he’d give her?”

John laughed. “It’d probably be pretty awful.”

“Some of us are trying to sleep y’know,” Alex’s voice came from under a pillow. “But tell Johnny I said hi and that I said he’s not gonna get traded today either.”

“You think they’re gonna trade you?” James asked John in surprise. “That’s a thing you actually worry about?”

“I’m going to be a free agent and I haven’t made any decisions about next season yet. They could do it if they thought we were too far apart with no chance of making progress.”

“You’re the captain.”

“Captains get traded all the time.”

“I know but like you’re the face of the franchise and shit.”

“What about the time the face of a franchise you played for, who was also the captain, was traded for PK?”

“Alright, you’ve got me there.”

“I’m hungry,” Alex announced as she sat up. Her eyes scanned over James’s body. She licked her lips along with her slow perusal.

“I got doughnuts,” he told her. “They’re in the kitchen.”

She got out of bed and strode towards him, taking the phone from him. “John?”

“Alex?”

“James has to go. Call you later. Bye!”

She tossed the phone aside and reached for James’s towel. “James Neal, you are my favorite kind of sin in this city,” she winked.

~*~*~


James left for practice two hours later with a satisfied smile on his face. He pulled into the parking lot and headed inside, stopping to sign a few autographs for fans who waited outside. Once he made it inside he dropped his car keys at his stall in the locker room and was shrugging out of his sweatshirt when his coach popped into the room.

“Oh good, you’re here,” he said. “Come down to my office, I want to speak to you for a minute.”

James gulped. “Yes, sir, I’ll be there in just a second.”

He nodded and left the room and James felt his palms begin to sweat.

Shit, shit, shit, he thought. His heart was racing as he grabbed his phone and called Alex.

“Hey,” she answered. “What’s up?”

“Alex,” he whispered. “I think it’s about to happen.”

“What are you talking about? And why are you whispering?”

“Coach wants to see me in his office before practice. This is it. This is where they trade me Buffalo.”

“Okay, first of all, they aren’t trading you. Second of all, what’s wrong with Buffalo? They have such a great jersey.”

“But it’s Buffalo.”

“Go meet with your coach, James. It will be fine, no matter what he says. I’m in this with you and that means wherever the tradewinds take us. Got it?”

“Got it. Alex?”

“Yeah, babe?”

“I love you.”

He could hear the smile on her voice as she replied. “Love you too.”

He hung up and tucked his phone back into his pocket before heading down the hall to coach’s office. He rapped on the doorframe to announce his presence.

His coach stood. “Come in, have a seat, James.” James nodded and did as told as his coach closed the door. “I wanted to talk to you before practice got going.”

“Yes, sir, I understand,” James started. “This isn’t my first time.”

He chuckled. “We’re not trading you, James.”

“You’re not?”

“No. You’re a valuable part of this team. Maybe when you were drafted there was a thought we could use you to gain some picks for the future but this season has surpassed everyone's expectations. We know we’ve got a good thing going and we don’t want to mess with it. Well, not too much anyway. We are looking to add a couple guys but you are off the table.”

“That’s...wow, thank you, coach.”

“Figured I’d tell you before practice so you can focus on tomorrow nights game instead of worrying all day. We need your head in the game. We need everyone’s head in the game.”

“Got it, coach. Consider me in, a hundred and ten percent.”

“Good. Now go get ready for practice.”

James nodded and hurried back to the locker room to text Alex.

They’re not trading me.

Told you so. :b

Yeah, yeah, I know.

It’s onward to playoffs now.

One day at a time.

Pffft. You guys are so going to sweep in and stun everybody. I can’t wait.

Your optimism knows no bounds.

Nope. I'm gonna call and tell Steven the good news and then check in with John. Lunch after practice?

Yes. Want me to invite Malcolm?

Please! I have a chicken salad recipe Cam sent me that she says you guys will love as much as Tyler does.

I’ll text you when we leave.

XOXO


~*~*~


HE’S NOT GETTING TRADED!

Great news!

No surprise there.

Can I tell him I told you so now?

Be nice, Steven! He was freaked out. And I already did anyway. :D

We all knew it wasn’t gonna happen. The season they’re having is just too good to mess with.

You should still cut the guy some slack. It’s a lot to worry about.

That’s just you that worries, Tavares.

Haha, Subby.

Seriously though, when are you going to tell us if you’re going to re-sign with the Islanders or go elsewhere, Johnny?

When I make a decision, you’ll be the first to know, Alex. Honestly you’ll probably figure it out before I do. That’s why I ask for your advice.

That’s why we ALL ask for your advice.

Aww, thanks, PK. But can we change the name of this group text? Alex’s Harem? Really?

It’s fitting. We are your slaves.

You wish you were her slave, Stamkos.

We all know you are, Tavares.

Oh my lord.

Let me get my popcorn for this.

Subby!

Alex!

None of you are my slaves. I only need James for that.

Lucky bastard.

I’m the lucky one, Steven. I got James and you three. Life’s pretty damn good.

How is the cupcake truck?

Cake My Day will be rolling out for the first time in three weeks and I cannot wait.

We’re all rooting for your success.

Ditto what John said.

Thanks, PK. Thanks, John. And thank you too, Steven. You guys are all great friends, to me and James both. I can’t wait to spend some real time with you guys this summer.

Looking forward to you in a bikini.

Steven!

What? Just saying what we’re all thinking.

I’ll talk to you guys later; I gotta make lunch to celebrate with James after practice.

Celebrate orrrr??

Since your brother is having lunch with us, celebrate. The or is for later. ;)

Tell Malcolm I said hey then. Talk soon! PK, out!

Until next time....

Have a good game tonight, Steven!

Thanks, Alex!

I’ll call you tomorrow, Alex.

Same bat time, same bat channel, Johnny.