Status: It's been too long, friends....

Him and I

Hope To Die

Alex was lounging poolside two weeks later when she heard James come through the door into the backyard. She felt his shadow pass over her before he settled into the chair beside her. She turned her head towards him, pushed her sunglasses up, and cracked one eye open.

“Good workout?”

He rolled his eyes. “I swear to god Gary gets scarier every year.”

“Why don't you work out with PK? I'd come watch that.”

“You just want to see Subby with his shirt off wearing those spandex shorts.”

“And? I don't see the problem with that. I like you in your spandex shorts too. I really love you shirtless too. I can ogle your tattoos better.”

He sat up and reached behind him to pull his shirt off and tossed it in her lap. “Demean me, baby.”

She snorted before busting out into laughter. “You are so full of yourself,” she told him as she slipped her sunglasses back in place.

He leaned back in the lounge chair. “I'm going out to Vegas next week to look for a place to live. Do you want to go with me?”

“Sure,” she answered as she settled back on the lounger, eyes closed behind her shades.

He studied her a moment. “Maybe we can look at commercial spaces too,” he suggested as nonchalantly as he could manage.

“Maybe.”

James sighed, rubbing his face. “Alex, do you even want to move to Vegas with me? I know you've made a life in Nashville but we’ve made a life together too, and I want to keep living that life. It's a lot to ask, for you to give up your dream for mine but damn it, I can't stand the thought of not being with you. How do we possibly make it if you're in Tennessee and I'm in Nevada?”

Alex sat up slowly, pushing her sunglasses to the top of her head. “If I'm being honest, I don't think we could make it if we lived on opposite coasts, James. Not with me trying to run a business and you leading some ragtag crop of vagabonds and baby faced rookies.”

“So what then? Where exactly does that leave us?”

“It leaves us exactly where we started.”

“Which is?”

“Which is you never once asking me to go with you.” Her face softened. “You've never asked me to move with you. You've just assumed the worst. So why don't you try saying the one thing you haven't.”

“Alex...” James started before pausing. He let out a frustrated groan and tugged the ends of his hair. “Am I really that bad at this?”

She laughed. “You're not the worst. But you do have a few shortcomings.”

He stood and nudged her calf and she shifted her legs to make room for him. “I'm all in on us and I hope you are too; will you move to Vegas with me, Alex?”

She sat up and leaned into James. “I'm all in too.”

He whooped excitedly and stood up, pulling Alex with him, twirling her around in his arms. “You mean it? You’re really moving with me?”

She laughed. “Yes, for real. I’m going to need to travel to keep up with the business side of For Goodness Cakes, but I already talked with Kathryn and we’re going to formalize an agreement and she’s going to be a partner in Nashville.”

“Are you sure that’s what you want to do?”

She nodded. “The building is mine and mine alone. But Kat is just as much a part of what the shop has become since Nan left it to me. I’m the majority owner but I'm leaving her to deal with so much and she deserves a piece of the pie so to speak.”

“When are you going to travel?”

“While you’re on the road.”

“And where are you going to stay?”

“I don’t know yet; probably a hotel.”

“I’m not selling my house.”

“Yeah but your house is huge and I can’t imagine using it for a couple days every month by myself.”

“I was thinking about asking PK if he wanted to rent it next season. I know his place was too small for his family when they all came to town and our place is plenty big enough for all the Subban’s. I could make him keep you a room so you can stay there whenever you go back.”

“That would be nice. Do you think PK would be interested?”

“We can call him and ask.”

“Yes, let’s do that.”

“Wanna facetime him?”

Alex clapped her hands excitedly. “Yes! Oh! Do you think he’ll be in the middle of a workout?”

James groaned. “Alex!”

She peered up at him innocently, fluttering her eyelashes at him. “What?” He rolled his eyes and sat down and she sat beside him, close at his side as he pulled his phone out. “Hey,” she said, grabbing his wrist. “I love you,” she said, kissing his cheek.

“I love you too,” he returned, kissing her forehead. “But can you cover up before we call Subby?”

She laughed and reached for his discarded shirt, pulling it over her head. “You know that PK thinks of me as a sister, right?”

“He still doesn't need to see your boobs.”

“You’re so irrational sometimes and I love you for it. Just so you know.”

“I am not irrational; I’m protective.”

“Keep telling yourself that,” she replied as she grabbed his phone and choose PK from his contact list.

“Alex!” PK greeted enthusiastically when he picked up and his face filled James’s screen. “How are you? You look gorgeous as always.”

She giggled and tugged the collar of James’s shirt. “James made me cover up my bikini before we could call you.”

“Thanks a lot, Nealer,” PK said sarcastically before smiling broadly again. “What’s up?”

“So I decided that I’m not going to sell my house in Nashville,” James started, “but I’m gonna rent it out and I was thinking you might want to be my first tenant. I know you wish you had more room for your family when they visited and you’d have plenty of room at my house. If you were interested.”

His smile grew. “So this must mean you’re going to Vegas,” he said to Alex.

“It could just mean I don't want to live in James’s house alone and that I’m finding a small apartment for myself,” she answered.

“Bull shit. If you were staying in Nashville, Nealer would’ve called me while he was alone and begged me to keep an eye on you and move into his house to keep you safe. You’re moving to Vegas with him.”

“Okay, fine. I’m moving to Vegas. But don't tell Steven. He’ll be upset that you knew before him.”

“My lips are sealed. And yes, I’d love to rent your house. I was gonna ask you for your relators number when I headed back to start my own search but being able to live comfortably while I do that is great.”

“There’s one stipulation you should know before you agree.”

“What’s that?”

“Alex is going to be traveling to Nashville still even though she’s decided to make Kathryn a partner at the shop. She’s gonna need someplace to stay when she’s in town.”

“Say no more,” PK interrupted. “I have no problem keeping an eye on your girlfriend when she's in town.”

“Thanks, man.”

Alex clapped excitedly. “I can't wait to be roommates, PK.”

“Stammer’s gonna be so jealous,” he grinned.

James laughed. “Yes he is.”

~*~*~


As summer wound down and July turned to August, Alex and James had PK, John, and Steven over for one last get together before everyone started heading their separate ways for training camp. They had had a really great cookout with a lot of family and friends earlier in the day and all that remained was the five of them, now sitting around a fire pit that Alex had convinced James to buy for his backyard with beer bottles scattered amongst them.

The boys had been telling stories on each other for the past two hours, and the last forty five minutes had been centered exclusively on James, the other three men trying to embarrass him as much as possible with tales from before Alex had met him. Not wanting to miss out on the fun, Alex shared her own story and as PK and Steven nearly fell out of their own chairs with their laughter, Alex laughed too, her head thrown back and her whole body shaking as she fell against Steven beside her. Across from them, James glowered at the three of them and John blushed.

“You seriously told him you get off to John?” Steven finally said between laughs. “That's fucking great!”

“I told him I was sure I could find someone to love in Tampa and you should have seen his face,” Alex replied. “So of course I had to tell him I liked John best when he thought I liked you. And he forbid me from dating John so I just blurted it out, ‘you can't forbid what I think about when I'm alone with my vibrator’. And he believed it!” This set her off in a fresh peal of laughter with Steven.

“I told Subby I was pretty sure you were messing with me you know,” James pointed out.

“Pretty sure, not ‘I'm a hundred percent sure my girlfriend does not get off to the captain of the Islanders’,” Steven laughed. “Plus I could totally see John and Alex together. She'd corrupt him a little, he'd soften her a little; it'd be some magical fairy tale shit.”

“Guess now would be a bad time to mention that it's actually Jamie Benn that does it for me, huh? I mean, he captains my hometown team. Plus he has the hair and the equally attractive older brother. Yes please!” Alex said.

“We could make that happen,” Steven spoke up.

“You forget that Jamie was a baby star when James played in Dallas and I already know him. I just think I should get to know him better now, meet the man he became,” she smirked.

“You're never allowed to speak to Jamie again,” James said.

“You're no fun,” Alex said, sticking her tongue out at him. “For the record though, it's Seguin I secretly think about.”

“I can introduce you to him next weekend!” Steven enthused. “At the charity baseball game.”

“Boys in baseball pants,” Alex swooned, fanning herself.

“Hell no!” James shouted. “No one is introducing her to Segs or Jordie Benn, and I swear to god if one of you sends her any Islanders paraphernalia I will never speak to you again.”

“So that jersey I bought her for Christmas, I should return it?” John asked.

Steven and PK laughed and James glared at him as Alex got up to kiss John’s cheek. “You're the best,” she said before plunking down across his lap and hugging him around the neck.

James was out of his seat as soon as Alex’s started to hug John. “Nope,” he said, scooping Alex up in his arms and sitting down again, an arm around her waist to keep her firmly in place.

She giggled and buried her face in James’s neck. “You're so jealous of John.”

“I am not.”

“You are,” she said looking up at him. “But I love you anyway. And for the record, I've never harbored illicit fantasies about any of your friends, teammates, or other hockey players.”

“Thank god. I mean....that is good to know.”

“You know that she's got you wrapped around her finger and she knows it,” Steven spoke up.

“I know,” James smiled. “And I'm good with it.”

“Like you wouldn't be,” PK said, tossing the wadded up label of his beer bottle at Steven.

“I never said I wouldn't. I'm aware how hard it is to find a partner to share in this crazy life with.”

“And to know who you can trust and who's looking for a meal ticket,” John added.

“That's why I'm here; to keep the bunnies away,” Alex said. “And find you girlfriends. I just need a week in Tampa, Steven, and I promise I can find the right girl.”

“Done. Let's look at the schedule and pick a week.”

“You're not spending a week with Steven,” James said to her.

“Why not? It's not like I'm going to sleep with him. He's not my type.”

“What is your type?” PK asked.

“John,” she answered quickly.

James growled lowly and she laughed as she hugged him around his neck. “God it is fun to push your buttons.”

“You are asking for it,” he said close to her ear.

“I know,” she smirked, kissing his cheek. “It's fun.”

“It will be for me later at least.”

She blushed at the implications and the lust in his eyes.

“Looks like he's got you pretty smitten too,” Steven teased.

“Yep, and it only took seven years to figure out,” Alex smiled.

“So did you guys sell your place in Nashville?” John asked.

“No, PK is going to rent it next season.”

“The place I had this season is too small when my family comes to visit and I haven't found anything I like yet,” PK added.

“You find a place in Vegas yet?” Steven asked.

“We found a condo we like that we’re gonna rent,” James replied.

“And For Goodness Cakes?” John asked curiously.

“I made Kathryn a partner and she's going to run the shop in Nashville, promote Chrissy to full time, and hire a couple new people. I'm going to go back to help and handle the business side when James is gone on road trips.”

“And she's gonna find a small place to open up in Vegas hopefully too,” James added.

“Maybe; if I can get a loan,” Alex told him.

“I can give you a loan.”

“You're my boyfriend, not my sugar daddy.”

John reached for a cupcake Alex had put out earlier and took a large bite. “I'll invest.”

“You would?” She said with surprise.

John nodded. “Yeah; you're a talented baker and you should be able to share that. Plus my accountant says I should invest my money so why not with someone I know?”

“That's so sweet of you, John. Thank you,” she said untangling herself from James to hug him.

“You’ll take John’s money but not mine?” James whined.

“Yeah, because have you seen his handsome face?” She retorted, sitting back across James’s lap.

He groaned and Steven and PK laughed. “I'll invest too, Alex,” PK said.

“Me three,” Steven added.

“Thank you guys.”

“Well we just appreciate you keeping James in line,” Steven told her.

“And giving him shit everyday,” PK said.

“And liking me better,” John spoke up.

Alex laughed. “Y'all are too much.”

“We get why you don't want to take James’s money but there's no reason not to take ours,” Steven replied. “You're following him to a new city, a new time zone...you deserve a little bit of familiarity for yourself so if we can help you bring For Goodness Cakes to Vegas we will. Plus then we get free treats when we come to town.”

“You guys get free treats for life regardless.”

“Good to know,” Steven nodded. “Good. To. Know.”

They headed inside a short while later, everyone grabbing empty bottles to deposit in the recycling bin as they went and said their good nights, everyone dispersing to different rooms of the house. Behind their closed door, James watched Alex undress and pull an old shirt of his on before crawling into bed. She patted the spot beside her with a smile and he quickly undressed and slipped in beside her in just his underwear.

He pulled her to him and claimed her mouth possessively as his hand slid under the hem of her shirt and quickly up to roll her nipple between his fingers.

“How quiet can you be?” He whispered as he moved his lips to the soft skin of her neck, nipping and kissing his way to her collarbone.

“As a mouse,” she promised.

~*~*~


The next morning, Alex woke to the smell of bacon and James snoring beside her. She pulled on leggings and brushed her hair before heading downstairs, not at all surprised to find John cooking in the kitchen.

“Good morning,” she greeted him.

He looked over his shoulder and smiled. “Morning. I hope you don't mind.”

“Of course not. Can I help with anything?”

“Pancakes are almost done and I've got bacon and eggs keeping warm.”

“Then I'll slice some fruit.” John nodded and turned back to his pancakes and Alex moved to the fridge, pulling out strawberries and blueberries, and then moving around John to grab the bananas on the counter. She moved to make coffee after cutting up some of the fruit and was just starting the pot when Steven appeared with a lazy grin on his face.

“I always thought this is what it'd look like if John stole you from James; the picture of domestic bliss.”

Alex rolled her eyes at him. “You all need to stop being so jealous of John. He can't help it he's perfect and you're just you.” She squeezed John’s bicep as she past him and he smiled in return.

“I was serious last night, Alex. If you want to open up a shop in Vegas, I'll loan you the startup money,” he said. “And not just because I'm your favorite. You have a gift to make people happy and you should share it.”

“I appreciate your vote of confidence, John. I don't think I'm going to do anything to start out. It's a new city and I'll have to figure out my way around. But maybe after I feel like I'm settled I'll start looking.”

“You have my number; when you're ready, call me.”

“You could start franchises,” Steven spoke up. “In case anything goes down at the trade deadline.”

She looked at him thoughtfully. “That's an idea,” she mused. “Maybe I'll look into what goes into that. I can leave a little bit of me everywhere we go.”

“Good morning!” PK boomed cheerfully as he came into the kitchen. He lifted the lid off the bacon John was keeping warm and snagged two pieces, earning a glare from John. “Hey, Alex?”

“Yes, PK?”

“Is Kathryn single?”

“She is.”

“Do you think she'd go out with me?”

“She has a crush on Roman.”

“Of course she does.”

“I think Roman might like her too but I never got a chance to ask.”

“So I should try to push them together is what you're saying.”

She laughed. “I'm not saying anything. But if you casually showed up at the shop with Roman in tow, I don't think Kat would mind one bit. And if you could save my best friend from her endless stream of bad first dates, I would owe you one.”

“Noted,” he replied with a smile.

“Speaking of girls,” John spoke up, “Steven says you give good girl advice.”

“So he claims,” Alex said.

“I met this girl towards the end of last season and uh, I don't know what to do.”

“What girl?” Steven demanded to know. “You've never mentioned any girl.”

“I don't even know her name,” John admitted.

“You don't know her name?” PK repeated incredulously.

John flushed. “She cleaned my house. I mean, I hired a cleaning service just before I left for home after the season ended and I wasn't home while they were there but I got home as they finished and were leaving and she....well, she took my breath away.”

Alex sighed with a dreamy smile just as James walked in. He took in the sight before him, the look on Alex’s face and the moony eyes she made at John and groaned.

“What did Tavares say to turn my girlfriend to mush?” He asked as the coffee finished and he poured himself a mug. “And do I need to kill him?”

“Shhh!” Steven shushed him, waving him to sit down. “He's telling us about the moment he fell in love.”

“Fell in love? Since when is he dating someone?”

“He's not yet,” PK answered. “He's telling us about when he fell in love with Alex.”

James’s eyes flared as he turned to John. “You gotta stop letting them rile you up so easily,” he laughed deeply. “They're going to use it against you on the ice and get you suspended for five games,” John told him.

“I'm not riled.”

“You're a terrible liar, Nealer. I'm asking Alex for advice about a girl.”

“You met someone?”

“Not exactly,” he answered, rubbing the back of his neck.

“Everyone fix a plate and meet me at the table,” Alex told them. “Then I'll sort out all of your love lives.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I am so, so sorry y'all! Work this week has been rough and I am not even sure how I am functioning right now. I meant to post sooner than this. I'll try to be better next week. Who's looking forward to the all star game this weekend? I know I am. These four boys all together at the same place? Sign me up!