Status: It's been too long, friends....

Him and I

He Said "Be True”

October passed in a blur of home games and for an expansion team that no one put much stock in, the Golden Knights were flying high as they headed into November. They were heading out on their first significant road trip, six games over eleven days. The first two games they played the Islanders and the Rangers and Alex, who had never been to New York City, and with the freedom to travel without For Goodness Cakes keeping her tied to one city, decided to also fly out for those two games before heading to Nashville to spend a week with Katharyn at the shop.

James was boarding the team flight Saturday afternoon when his phone dinged, alerting him to a new text message. He pulled it out as he got situated to check who it was from and rolled his eyes at the message from John.

When does Alex’s flight get in again? I need to confirm the car service.

Tomorrow at 2. I told you she doesn't need a car service; she can get a taxi.

I know she can get a taxi but I don’t want her to have to deal with a taxi. Can’t you just let me be nice to your girlfriend?

No. She might fall for it and leave me.

Never gonna happen. You’ve somehow tricked that girl into loving you forever. I hope you’re planning on asking her to marry you for Christmas.

I’m not. It’s too soon.

You’ve known her for seven years, Nealer.

I know that. But we haven’t even been dating a year yet. And who knows how many more times I’ll get bounced around in the next year. She could get sick of following me all over.

First of all, that isn’t going to happen. Stop letting your mind wander to bad places. If Alex picked you over Rinne then you don’t have anything to worry about.

She’s going back to Nashville for the first time when she leaves New York.

Are you worried?

Yeah.

Why?

What if she decides that she likes that old life better than this one? Or that she picked wrong? What if Peks makes eyes at her and she realizes she made a mistake?

Do you really think he would do that?

No.

Okay then. Besides, PK will be there. You know he’s on team Neal. He won’t let any eyes be made.

I guess you’re right.

Of course I’m right. Now, are you sure you’re okay with Alex staying with me? I can still find a hotel for her if that’s what you want but I really don’t mind having her stay with me.

No, I’m good, I swear. You’re too boring for her anyway.

I’m not boring.

You’re boring, Tavares. Whoever told you that you weren’t lied.

Just for that I’m going to make eyes at your girlfriend. No Subby to stop me.

Fuck you, dude.

Are we still getting dinner tomorrow?

Yeah. Text me your address again though since you’re not sending me a car service.

Do you want me to send a car service? I will. You just have to ask nicely.

I can manage. I’ll see you tomorrow. Take care of Alex while she’s with you, okay?

I will take care of her as if she was my own sister. See you tomorrow.


~*~*~


James cab dropped him at the address John gave him the next night and he approached the front door to the house. He had never been to John’s home in Long Island and he had to admit he was pretty impressed. John’s house wasn’t as big as his was in Nashville but it was still really nice. He rang the doorbell and stepped back to wait.

The door was flung open by Alex who greeted him with a beaming smile that made James’s heart rate speed up. She flung herself at him, hugging him tightly. “Oh my god, your mouth!” She exclaimed.

He chuckled. “It's not that bad.”

“You're missing half your teeth!”

“It's not that many, sheesh.” He had taken a hgh stick to the mouth two nights prior in a game and lost several of his front teeth.

“Your post game interview was all sorts of adorable,” Alex teased him. “But seriously, when are you getting those fixed?”

“Probably not until Nashville in December,” he answered as he pushed the door shut and looked around. “Where's Tavares?”

“In the kitchen. Come on,” she said, grabbing his hand and pulling him along with her.

“Hey, man,” John waved when they entered the room. “How's your face? Looks pretty gruesome.

“Been better but at least I'm still better looking than you,” James shot back.

“If anyone asks you should tell them that it's your Halloween costume,” Alex told him as she moved around John to check on a pot on the stove.

James took a moment to really look at Alex as she moved around and his eyes narrowed in on her sweatshirt. “What are you wearing?”

She turned to him with a big,cheesy grin. “Apparently John, like you, keeps his house at arctic temperatures and I was cold.”

“You didn't have any other generic sweatshirt lying around, you had to give her yours?”

John smirked. “Knew it'd piss you off more. Besides, she looks fantastic in Islanders paraphernalia.”

“She looks awful. I know you have some Team Canada shit lying around here somewhere from the Olympics. Go get her one of those.”

“I'm standing right here,” Alex spoke up. “And it's comfy and warms and smells delicious,” she told them, sticking her tongue out at James. “And you're missing like five of your front teeth and you just told me it is going to be more than a month before you fix that so John is looking like a better option anyway.”

“I am going to get you for that. Just you wait.”

“I'm so scared.”

James pushed off the wall and made for her as soon as Alex turned her back to him, grabbing her around the middle and lifting her off the ground, gumming at her neck as Alex squealed and laughed.

“You slobbered on me!” Alex exclaimed when James set her down and pulled her to his side.

“You deserved it,” he countered.

“You two are ridiculous, I hope you know that,” John chuckled.

“One day you’ll have someone to be ridiculous with too,” Alex replied sagely.

“John doesn't know how to be ridiculous,” James said. “He’s just him.”

“If you call him boring I will smack you,” Alex scolded him.

“I wasn’t going to call him boring....this time.”

John rolled his eyes at James and shook his head. “Does he know?” he asked Alex.

“Nope,” she smirked.

James looked between them. “What? What don’t I know?”

“I let Alex talk me into taking her to the team’s halloween party. Since we’re off, we’re having it on Halloween.”

“I have a game though," he pouted.

“I’m going to your game,” she reassured him. “John is just going to have to be fashionably late.”

“I’m the captain though,” he grumbled.

“And you’re such a sport for putting up with me,” Alex told him, pinching his cheek. John blushed.

“I take it back,” James spoke up. “Maybe you can be ridiculous. What is she making you dress up as?”

“Forrest Gump and Jenny.”

There was a beat of silence before James burst out laughing. “Oh my god,” he wheezed between laughs. “That is so fucking you.”

“My first choice was James Bond and a Bond girl but John vetoed me,” Alex pouted.

“There’s no way you could handle standing beside me all night in a suit. You’d spontaneously combust, or worse, leave James,” John teased her. “And I don’t need Nealer killing any of my rookies if they saw you in some slinky getup.”

“Thank you,” James told him. “I appreciate your sound judgement.”

“You’re welcome. Now go sit; dinner’s ready.”

~*~*~


Two days later on Tuesday, Alex woke up to the smell of bacon and came downstairs to John cooking breakfast in the kitchen. The Islanders had beaten the Knights the night before and Alex had gotten to spend a little time after the game with James, spent mostly teasing him good naturedly and consoling him since John had had two goals and he had had none before he had boarded the team bus back to the hotel. She planned to see him again after that nights game against the Rangers before meeting up with John.

“You know,” she started, “it’s really not fair for you to spoil me with breakfast every morning when I’m dating James Neal and he is completely incapable of making any food whatsoever. Like not fair at all.”

John chuckled. “Maybe you should train him.”

Alex laughed. “You’ve met him, right? There’s no fixing that. He can barely boil water.”

“Are you ready for today?”

She nodded excitedly. “You really don’t mind playing tourist with me today and showing me around?”

“Not as long as you don’t mind sitting through practice first.”

“Do I get to wear the official John Tavares sweatshirt again?”

“If you want,” he shrugged.

“All the girls will be so jealous,” she teased him as John set a plate of food in front of her.

“Eat because we have to leave for practice in thirty minutes.”

After eating, Alex did the dishes and then got dressed for the day. John had practice that morning but nothing else until the team's Halloween party later that night so he was taking Alex sightseeing after in Manhattan until he would drop her off for James's game. The Islanders practice facility wasn't far from John's house and he drove them there.

When they arrived, John greeted the security guard at the gate by name and with a genuine smile. Inside he greeted another security guard by name, asking about the man's grandchildren before getting a visitor's pass for Alex for the day.

“Who are you?” Alex asked as John led her down the hall.

“What do you mean?”

“You know about that man's grandkids. Who are you, John Tavares? And how do I convince you to train my boyfriend?”

John chuckled. “There's no redeeming that one.”

“Damn,” Alex smirked. “Seriously though, his grandkids?”

John waved to some staff members they passed and he smiled as a woman approached. “Betty, how's your husband? Did his surgery go well?” Out of the corner of his eye he saw Alex's jaw drop as the woman smiled.

“He's well, thank you Mr. Tavares. He's recovering ahead of schedule.”

“I'm glad to hear that. And it's John.”

She blushed. “I got that thing you asked for,” she said, her eyes cutting quickly to Alex.

“Perfect,” he smiled. “Thanks for helping me out, Betty. I really appreciate it.”

She passed John a bag. “You're welcome. If you need anything else, just let me know,” she told him before continuing down the hall.

“Who the fuck are you?” Alex asked incredulously. “You know about her husband’s surgery?”

“Betty manages the pro shop.”

“Do you know everyone who works here by name?”

“Not everyone. But a lot of them. I'm just being nice.”

“God I love how nice you are,” she sighed. “Can I trade James in for you?”

He laughed. “No, you can't trade James in, he'd be devastated and so would you. You need him as much as he needs you. Besides, you'd be bored with me. I'm not as exciting as James.”

“Don't count yourself out, Tavares. You'll be a real catch for someone.”

“If I can find her.”

“That's why you have me to help.”

“Come on,” John said, tugging Alex under his arm. “Let's get you set up to watch practice so I can go get ready. Also, I got you something,” he grinned, holding the bag out to her. “Just don't tell Nealer.” She squealed when she pulled the jersey from the bag and oohed over the captain's C on the front before hugging John tightly.

He returned the hug. “If you’re going to see me play without the distraction of James Neal, I had to make sure you were properly attired.”

After practice, John and Alex took the train into the city and they explored Manhattan. Alex even convinced John to eat lunch at a street vendor. He made sure she got to Madison Square Garden on time for James’s game, taking back to his house all her new Islanders gear and sending her into the arena decked out in her Golden Knights finest, promising to meet her afterwards.

Alex ventured into the storied building, clutching her ticket in hand after claiming it at will call. She took her time walking around the building to take it all in, but managed to find her way down to the Vegas side of the rink for warm ups. She pushed her way as close as she could and she could see James scanning the faces of the crowd every so often. Finally, with only a couple minutes left, she made her way close enough that when he looked around for her, he spotted her. He smiled at her and she smiled back when their eyes locked. He held her gaze for a beat before Cody skated up beside him and bumped him. He waved to Alex and she waved back. The couple shared one more smile before James skated off the ice and Alex headed for her seat.

After the game, she waited for James and got a quick minute alone with him before he got on the team's bus. They were off to the airport and a flight to Boston. It would be eight days before she saw him again.

Alex made her way outside to where she had earlier agreed to meet John and found him waiting on the sidewalk as promised. He held the door open to the SUV from the car service he got for the evening and they made their way to a hotel near the bar where the team was having their party. John had decided it wasn’t worth the trouble of going back to his home after the party when they were both going to drink, plus Alex needed someplace to change into her costume. He rented two rooms in a fancy New York City hotel and had already checked in after dropping her at the game. He handed her a room key and they took the elevator together to their floor and parted at their rooms.

Alex smiled to herself upon seeing the great care John had taken to hang her costume in the closet and set her small duffel bag she had packed before they had left that morning at the end of the bed. She quickly changed from her jeans and boots and into the flowy white bohemian dress that ended just above her knee. She paired it with a fun brown fringed vest she had found in a thrift shop and then her brown cowboy boots. She quickly ran a flat iron over her hair and then placed a daisy flower crown on top. Satisfied with the look, she grabbed her phone, snapped a quick selfie to text to James and stuffed it along with her room key into her brown leather fringe purse.

She left her room and knocked on John’s door and as soon as he swung the door open, she began to laugh. His blue and white plaid shirt was tucked into khakis and a red Bubba Gump trucker hat on his head. Although meant to look dorky, there was no hiding the way John filled out the outfit.

“You look just like Forrest but meatier.”

“I should’ve let you stick with the Bond theme.”

“No, this is so perfect. Are you ready?”

“Yeah; can you hang onto my room key?”

“Mm-hmm,” she replied, leaning against the door frame.

“Just let me grab my phone.”

When he turned, Alex took her phone out and snapped a quick picture and sent it to Kathryn.

You sure about Roman? Because let me tell you how perfectly perfect John is...

Girl, that ass.

I know. Just don’t tell James that I know.

Lol! Your secret is safe with me.I’ll see you soon!

Can’t wait. Happy Halloween!


“Who are you talking to?” John asked, snapping Alex’s attention from her phone.

“Just Katharyn, wishing her a Happy Halloween,” she answered as she slipped the phone back into her purse.

John closed his door and passed his room key to her and Alex put it in her purse along with hers. “Are you excited about heading to Nashville?”

“I’m excited to get into the shop and work and to see Kathryn. The Preds are on the road but they get back before I leave and PK promised to take me out to dinner.”

“If you think I’m spoiling you, just wait until PK takes you out. He’s going to treat you like a rockstar because everyone treats him like a rockstar, no matter where he goes.”

“How about when I visit Steven?”

“Steven is about as helpless as James. Good luck with that. His house is pretty great though.”

“I’ve seen pictures.”

They got onto the elevator and John pushed the button for the lobby. Two women got in with them a couple of floors down and they both scanned John’s body openly, looking him up and down and Alex took a step closer to him. John looked up from his phone at the motion and smiled at her before putting his phone away and slinging a casual arm around Alex's shoulder.

“Good evening,” he said politely to the other two occupants of the elevator. They simpered in reply and Alex had to keep herself from rolling her eyes. John had no idea the effect he had on the opposite sex and didn't notice the dirty looks both women shot at Alex.

When the elevator reached the lobby, John let the other women go first and they both added a little extra wiggle to their step. Alex did roll her eyes then as she slipped her arm through John's.

“You really have no idea that they checked you out, do you?” She asked as they stepped into the lobby.

“What?”

“Those two women. They looked you over like meat when they got in the elevator. I'm pretty sure the two words you spoke to them made them wet too.”

“Alex!” John whisper shouted with a blush.

“My god you're adorable, Tavares. Don't ever change. Promise?”

“Promise.”

He led her outside to a waiting car and they made their way through traffic to where the party was being held. As they made the drive, Alex made a noise and grabbed for her purse. She pulled out a box of chocolates and handed them to John. “Your costume isn't complete without these.”

“I definitely should've let you stick with the Bond idea,” he grumbled, pulling his hat low.

“First of all, she said, pushing his hat back into place, “you love this idea. Second of all, you look great.” She kissed his cheek as their SUV came to a stop. “Come on, let’s go,” she said excitedly. She got out of the car and was practically dancing in place on the sidewalk. John led her inside with a light touch at her back.

“Hey, look who finally made it!” Someone called out when they entered the room. That was followed by a lot of voices and John ducked his head. Alex squeezed his hand.

“You know, it takes a lot of work to look that good. You thought it just came natural?” She shot back with a smirk.

A dark haired man with a mustache walked up to her chucking. “I like you,” he told Alex. “I'm Cal; we didn't get to meet this morning since someone hustled you out after practice.”

“Hi, Cal, I'm Alex,” she replied as she shook his hand. “And I'm pretty sure he hustled me out so you didn't know he was harboring the enemy.”

“She's Nealer’s girlfriend,” John explained. “And a really good friend of mine,” he smiled.

“He loves me, he just doesn't realize it yet,” Alex stage whispered to Cal.

He laughed. “Oh yeah, I definitely like you. Come on, let's get you a drink and you can meet my wife. Hey, are those chocolates?” He asked, grabbing for the box under John's arm. “I love chocolate.”