I Could Use a Love Song

The Job Offer

I enter all the numbers in the cells in my excel spreadsheet over and over hoping for a different outcome. Of course the total remains the same and I can't help but groan out loud.
No matter how many numbers I crunch one thing is abundantly clear, I won't be able to pay my rent this month. I pout picking up my coffee and take a sip. The hot, bitter liquid slightly calms my nerves.
I knew when I came to New York that it would be hard the first few months. Now it's been two years and I'm still struggling to make ends meet. I work three jobs to pay all my bills. Sometimes I have money left over and I can get a new outfit or shoes. Sometimes I have to choose between rent and food.
My main job, the one I wish could be more full time, is my passion. I work for Fearless Records as an International Liaison and Manager. Which is a fancy way of saying I'm the interpreter for our foreign clients. I can fluently speak English, Korean, Japanese, and French. I also know enough Spanish and Italian to muddle my way through conversations.
I work as a waitress and delivery tech for my other jobs, but they're part time and the hours are sporadic. That's part of the reason why I can't make my rent this month. I wasn't able to get enough hours between all my jobs.
I take another sip of my coffee before focusing back on my work.

I'm sitting in Starbucks working on my laptop and doing my best to try to drown out the annoying young couple making out loudly next to me. Suddenly my music on my phone stops as I get a call. The name "Uncle Bang" flashes across the screen. It's my uncle in South Korea that I haven't heard from for a few months. He's been managing some K-pop bands, and they keep him super busy.
"Uncle Bang! How are you?" I say answering the phone in Korean.
"Ah, my favorite niece. It's so good to hear your voice. I'm good. How is America?" My uncle asks.
"It's crazy like always," I say with a giggle, "what can I do for you uncle?"
"Well I talked to your mom, and she said you're having a rough time. This is a really hard business to get into. What are you doing these days?" He asks.
I sigh. I know my mom means well when she meddles with my life, but it always makes me feel like I'm a child. I'm 21 years old.
"I'm working for Fearless Records; they have me helping bands that come to record new music in New York. It has potential to make me lots of money. But currently the jobs are so sporadic that when I don't have a band I'm back to making coffee runs, and delivering mail at the office." I say twirling my headphones cord between my fingers.
I glance up and see the couple has stopped making out to stare at me. I don't exactly look like someone who should be speaking Korean. I'm quite short at 5'2". I have bright red hair, and blueish gray eyes. I have a slender build, but I'm also curvy. I have a full right arm tattoo sleeve, and several others all over my body. I also have the right side of my nose pierced.
"Well, I have a position that just opened up. I'm willing to offer it to you, but you would have to move back to South Korea. Is that something you'd want to do?" My uncle asks.
I pause for a moment. Move back to South Korea? I haven't lived there since I was 15. I've been back to visit, but it was never for very long.
"Where is the job? I don't have funds for my own place, which means living with mom and dad." My brain goes into work mode.
"If you are serious, and think you can handle this I have free room and board for you. Everything would be taken care of money wise. You would just need to bring your wardrobe." My uncle says.
My mouth drops open. Everything...would be taken care of? How is that possible?
"Kat?" My uncle asks as I haven't responded.
"Sorry uncle, I was just thinking about how quickly I could get out there. I need to figure out how to get out of my current place. How soon do you need me?" I ask chewing on my lip.
"Does that mean you are interested?" He inquires.
"Bottom line, yes. I miss my home, and I miss my parents. It's just going to take some time and probably some saving up to get out there." I say taking a sip of my coffee.
"I'm so glad to hear that. We can work out the details, and I'll help with whatever expenses. I need you out here next week. Do you still have a passport?" My uncle asks. Next week?? I inhale suddenly and start choking on the coffee I just took a sip of.
The people around me look over concerned.
"Katsumi...Kat, are you alright?" Uncle Bang asks alarmed. I stop coughing and assure an older woman near me that I'm fine.
"Christ! One week! I've got to start packing tonight!" I say exasperated.
"I'm sorry to have to do this to you. The position has been open for over a month, and I really need some help. I'm texting you my assistant's personal number, she is going to help you with everything. I'll see you soon!" My uncle says wrapping up the call.
"Oh wait! You never told me what the job was!" I say suddenly frantic.
"It's managing a K-pop band, I'm sure you'll love them. I got to go. Talk soon, love you." He says.
"Love you." I say before the line goes dead.

I slowly put my phone down on the table and start to process what just happened. In one week I will be living in South Korea again. I gather my belongings and walk out of Starbucks and onto the busy streets of New York city. I make my way towards the subway walking slower than usual. Did I make the right decision?

*fast forward 6 days*
I slide the hotel key in the slot and see the red strip on the door turn to green before turning the handle. I walk into the hotel room flipping on lights as I go. The room in front of me is a little sitting room with a couch, chair, and tv. I walk through this room to the back and come into the bedroom. The bedroom is quite spacious with a king size bed up against the wall on the right, a makeup vanity, closet, and armoire with tv on the left wall. There is also a small bathroom attached to the bedroom. A soft knock at the door brings me back to the front room of the hotel room. I open the door to see a young bell hop has brought me my bags, all 5 of them (four suitcases and a carry on). He helps me bring them inside and then leaves.
In just 6 short days my life has changed so drastically. I've been dealing with my uncle's assistant Soo Mi since my uncle has been so busy with work. My uncle helped me pay to break my lease of my apartment. I left my job, but they said I have a job if I come back to the US. I gave away all my furniture and items that weren't sentimental. Now everything I own fits in four suitcases. I packed my important things(laptop, photo album, camera) in a carry on bag. Now I'm staying in a hotel near the airport to fly out in just 10 short hours. My plane is set to leave at 5pm, and I have a two hour layover in LA. Then it's the 13 hour plane ride from LA to Seoul. The plane trip from New York to Seoul, South Korea will take about 22 and a half hours. The plus side is I'm set to arrive in Seoul near 5am. So I have plenty of time to nap, and get ready before meeting my new clients.
Everything has been going great except one thing, I don't know anything about my new job.
My uncle has been dodging my questions, and his assistant isn't much more help. All they tell me is that it's a male K-pop group, and that I'll find out everything when I get there.
The unknown makes me nervous, but I know my uncle has a good reason for the lack of information.
I take out two outfits for the airport and hang them in the closet. One outfit is purely for comfort since I will be on a plane for 22 hours. Just a simple blue jeans, band t-shirt, pull over hoodie, and vans. The other outfit is for work appearances, so I'll change before we land. My uncle insisted on me flying 1st class, even though I didn't want to. I'll have my own little private area on the plane from LA to Seoul. My second outfit consists of black slacks, a red long sleeved shirt, black blazer, and my favorite black pumps.
Once my clothes are all ready to go I settle in for the night, and attempt to get some sleep.

Most of the night is spent watching videos on my phone since I can't seem to sleep. I only manage to squeeze in four hours of restless sleep. Finally after laying awake for an hour I decide to just get up. There is a car coming to pick me up and take me to the airport. I take a quick shower to trick my body into feeling energized. Once I'm out and dried off I get dressed in my comfy airport outfit, and tuck my work outfit neatly into my carry on.
Since the flight is so long I opt for minimal makeup since I know I'm going to fall asleep and smudge it all off. I apply a light coat of black mascara, and black eyeliner to my bottom lid. I apply a light pink lip gloss for a finishing touch.
I glance at the clock and see I still have a few hours before the car picks me up. My stomach growls reminding me I haven't eaten in a while. I grab my purse, and the room key and head down to the elevator.
Since my flight is at the end of the day my sleep schedule has already been thrown off and I'm not even in the new time zone yet. I yawn as the elevator dings announcing it's arrival on the main floor.
*in English *
"Good evening." The clerk calls as I step into the lobby.
"Hey are there any coffee shops or good diners around here?" I ask walking towards the desk.
"Yeah the best diner in town is a few blocks East. It's called P3, they also have really good coffee and pie. We could get a shuttle to take you?" The clerk asks.
"It's just a few blocks East? I'll walk, but thanks!" I say walking out the hotel doors. I turn East and start walking.

I've never owned a car, so I'm used to walking everywhere. My dad is in the military; and all the bases he got stationed were close to or in huge metropolis'. I just got used to taking public transportation or walking.
My dad getting stationed in South Korea is how he met my mom. Supposedly it was a whirlwind romance. And the rest is history as they say. I'm the youngest of three children. My brother Myung is the middle child, we have a 4 year age gap. My sister Min Jee and I have an 8 year age gap.
My mom and dad had an agreement that if they had a child after Myung my dad could choose the name. I don't think my mom, or anyone, expected me to happen. My mom picked my siblings names, and had a theme. So when I came along, and my dad picked my name my mom was furious with him. She says it throws everything off, and is part of the reason why I'm such a rebellious child. Pfffft as if having a name starting with a different letter than my siblings could decide something like that. Although I was quite a handful through my adolescent years.
My grandma says I inherited my dads wild soul. Perhaps that's why I like to dye my hair crazy colors, and I have piercings and tattoos.
I blame my obsession with tattoos and colored hair on when my dad was stationed in Japan. I got really into J-rock. That helped me find a love for American metal music.
I remember my dad sneaking me hard rock/metal cds, when my mom found out she was so mad. Then one day she just accepted that I would always be her wild child, and that's what she calls me now.
I smile realizing I'll be able to see all my family soon.

As I'm absorbed in my thoughts I look up and see I've reached the diner. I go in and order coffee and a sandwich. The bitter liquid slowly helps wake me up. Once I'm finished with my food the waitress talks me into getting a piece of their famous pie and another cup of coffee. The hotel was right, their coffee and pie are really good.
Once I'm all done I pay my bill and make my way back to the hotel. The rest of the time passes in a blur and suddenly a bell hop is helping me with all my luggage down to the lobby. I take a deep breath to steady myself before walking out the doors and towards my new life.
♠ ♠ ♠
I will try to link the outfits as I go.

I was totally starting to ramble at the end there.

Tell me what you think!!!

*I updated the title and added a bit more that I thought needed to be in this chapter vs chapter two. *