Status: This is the first chapter of my short story. (It is the rough draft)

The Truth

It Begins

This story happened not so far away from your own adventure. It starts in Newville a town filled with correct politicians who don’t pay for their voters, Law Enforcement is paid properly to operate the streets. You think nothing can go wrong in a place like Newville, that is where you are wrong, On the night of July 31st, 1997 the death of James William Halliday opened a can of worms that unraveled the world’s greatest scandal known to man.
To understand this story, you must first understand the inner workings of the town. Newville is a small town of about one hundred thousand people, you have the Halliday family who owns a relatively small local newspaper who is struggling to get readers, their fanbase online didn’t achieve more than 500 daily readers. They were not rich, they were not poor. They lived in a cabin on top a mountain surrounded by enormous oak trees. James William Halliday runs the newspaper and is the father of one child. James William Halliday Jr, He oversaw anything and everything online, he was also there lead reporter researching what they could in this small town. Let it be known that there were no scandals before Halliday so the only things you would see in the newspapers where how the bees are disappearing and how we need to recycle more. Veronica Halliday the wife of James Williams Halliday and the stepmom of James William Halliday JR. She made sure the money was spent in all the right places, “You don’t go bankrupt if you don’t spend your money on bullshit” That quote pretty much sums her up.
On July 1st, 1997 a murder occurred, this wasn’t unusual in Newville one murder wasn’t the end of the world. July 3rd, 1997 Steve Jobs came to town for some business meetings he ended up shot and dead in his own house, ruled a suicide. July 10th 1997 Another murder occurred it was a hit and run. This was as unusual as it gets three murders in the span of 10 days. The Halliday family was getting so many readers who wanted to find out more about the recent murders. Three more murders happened after that on July 17th, July 21st and July 28th. People in Newville were worried they feared they might be next. Was this the work of a serial killer?
♠ ♠ ♠
This is a rough draft of the first chapter. Please give me feedback if you liked it or not.