For the Cloak

Eleven - Betrayal

I silently walk into the home of Alduin as I ponder what I wanted to say to the dragon. Alduin was no fool, that’s what unnerved me about him sending me back to Ulfric. He had to know that I would end up getting back together with him, or at the least, he had to know Ulfric would attempt to stop my plans. I shake my head in confusion as I go into the room where Alduin rests and look up at him, “did you plan for this to happen?” I ask.

Alduin looks down at me as he stands tall, “you reuniting with Ulfric? Fixing all your relationship problems? Of course, I planned this, what use would a distracted cat be to me? You needed to fix those issues before I killed the king,” He said as he looks down at me.

I nod, “well, Kodiak isn’t currently with the Stormcloaks, they haven’t seen him since the day I faked my own death. I’m trying to figure out where he’s at, but so far, I haven’t had any luck. It seems as though the blades may have gotten to him,” I say. He reacts as I expect with a roar of fire into the air.

He looks infuriated, “are they back now too?!” He roars.

I nod, “I’ve heard some rumors that they’re back and gathering members. I suspect that they may have recruited him to their ranks, as they failed to do with me so long ago. Should I gather info on them instead? Ulfric may know something that we do not,” I say I look up at him.

He roars again, “yes, find what information you can. They can stop us where no one else can,” Alduin said. I nod and turn walking out of his room. Something about the way he had been acting bothered me, I’m not sure what it is, but I stay to listen in to him talk to Odavhiing.

“I want you to keep an eye on him, when he’s no longer useful we will be disposing of the Khajiit. Should he turn his back on us, we must not forget that he is Dragonborn as the one known as Kodiak,” Alduin said. I didn’t hear a reply so I could only imagine that Odavhiing bowed in response, “and Odahviing, when we are finished, I want you to drop him from the sky and end him. The Khajiit is only useful while fighting the other Dragonborn,” Alduin said.

I gasp quietly in surprise, I turn and head from the area as quickly as I could with the realization that Alduin planned to betray me. I can’t say that I was surprised to find it out since he is Alduin, but the words stung still. I felt at home with the dragons, comfortable, but now I know this was all a sham. I was made to feel comfortable so I didn’t expect when they turned their backs on me and ended my life. I wait at the cliff edge where Odahviing was going to meet me, I didn’t trust him now knowing that he’s going to be the one who kills me. I look towards the ground when the large dragon joins me at my side and kneels so I can hop on. I do so without saying a single word to the dragon as he takes off, I’d reveal that I knew when the time was right, but that time was not now. I’d keep it to myself until I felt comfortable enough to even tell Ulfric, let alone the dragon that carries me thousands of feet into the air.

“Is something wrong, cat?” He asks as we fly to the woods of Skyrim.

I shake my head, “no, Odahviing, everything is fine,” I say quietly as I go back to thinking. The dragon having dropped his questions.

Everything was not fine. I do not belong anywhere it seems, people still hate me at Windhelm, and now the only place I’ve ever felt comfortable enough to call home has become a cold and harsh world of truth. I was only good enough to be a toy or a tool. I understand that now and while I do not accept it, I am a hated species here. I will have to take what I can get I guess.