For the Cloak

Fifteen - A Truth Revealed

I look at Ulfric in confusion as to the words he had spoken fully sank in. I didn’t understand what he was talking about, I was dead? No, that wasn’t possible. I am here. I don’t feel like I had been dead, I mean I don’t know what exactly that would feel like, but I’d imagine I’d be in a lot of pain as my body tries to get used to living again. If it was true, then how? A necromancer? But why? I had so many questions as I look at my body then up at Ulfric.

Ulfric took my hand when he sensed my confusion, “when we were in the middle of a battle, I caused you to get distracted, I didn’t mean to be blindsided by the Imperials. You ran to my side to save me, but they got the upper hand on you when they put a blade to my throat, I didn’t expect you to try to save me since we were arguing just before and that was when I told you that you meant nothing,” He said sadly as he rubs my hand.

It was starting to make sense, I love Ulfric and even then, I loved him, so nothing would’ve stopped me from saving his life if he was in danger of being killed. I look up at him, “please, continue,” I say softly, “I see memory flashbacks, but I need to know how it happened,” I add.

Ulfric nods, “I tried reasoning with the one that had me, but they were giddy with the idea of killing me that they didn’t care. One thing they did notice was my desperation to get to you and yours to get to me, this seemed to allow them to form their own theories. They assumed you meant more to me than I let on, and just to see me fall they put you to your knees and did things I don’t want to say to you. I couldn’t stop them. I tried to shout but my mouth was gagged as they continued taking advantage of you,” He said as his hand closes on mine tighter.

I was shaking as I remember more of what happened, “they raped me…” I said softly as I look at Ulfric with tears in my eyes, “where were the other soldiers?!” I yell in deep emotional pain.

Ulfric looks away, “they had already been captured, distracted by my own capture,” He says softly, “I wanted to stop them, I tried to stop them, but by the time I had gotten free they took a dagger to your throat and slit it from ear to ear nearly decapitating you. I remember being so angry and hurt. I don’t remember much of what happened next, but I do remember holding your bloody and cold corpse as I walked to a necromancer. I wasn’t losing you to some damn dirty Imperials that got lucky, the witch had just finished reviving you when Imperials found me again. They took me and your unconscious body as the witch hid and that was when you woke on the cart,” Ulfric said.

“And my memories?” I ask with tears flowing.

“The witch said it would be an after effect, she said it may be permanent and it may not. You could have never remembered me, but in some ways, I had once wondered if that would not have been better,” He said as he looks me in the eyes and wipes my tears.

I take in everything Ulfric had said. I was angry at the Imperials, angry that they took advantage of my body, but also, I felt loved. Ulfric disregarded his own safety to help me live. Even if I was a walking corpse, I have no remaining effects, and my body functions as it once did. I lunge forward and kiss Ulfric with everything I had left in my exhausted body, “I love you,” I whisper against his lips as I kiss him. For now, I would not tell him that Alduin was planning my death and let him be happy for the moment. There’s been enough pain today and this khajiit does not want to bring more.