For the Cloak

Six - A True High King

I await news as I pace beside Makoto’s bed, Galmar had the door blocked from the other side to ensure we were left alone. I should be celebrating with Makoto, having obtained The Jagged Crown thanks to him, but instead, I’m waiting to hear if he will die or not. This was not how any of this was supposed to go, but I could not face the fact that I was involved with someone who wasn’t a Nord, someone who wasn’t even from Skyrim. I pray to Talos for not only forgiveness but for Makoto to have a warrior’s strength and pull through this injury. We had the best healers that our poor city could afford, but that did not mean he would pull through, especially if an infection were to set in.

I look up as the doors to the infirmary open and the healer walks in, her face was grim, and I did not anticipate good news. I look over at the sleeping Makoto, hoping that they would be able to do something for him, “anything?” I ask.

The healer sighs, “I cannot be for certain, but I believe he is refusing to wake up. I’ve healed his wounds, but the mental scars he carries are preventing him from waking or, it could be that he simply does not want to wake up,” she said as she glances at Makoto, “are you sure it is not best to let the cat rest? The others despise him after finding out about the relationship, many are hoping he is dead, but yet you won’t stand up for him. He went from being a well-respected, decorated member of the Stormcloaks to an outcast hated by the ones who once adored him, all because you are a selfish man,” She added.

I turn to face Makoto and walk up to his bedside, I needed to fix this and make it right, how could I call myself a true king if I do not look out for all my people? I couldn’t. I could not call myself a king if I did not trust my people or rule them, I care about what they think of me, but who would care? Maybe if I revealed that I was in a relationship with a khajiit then maybe they’d become more widely accepted. If not, I could always imprison the people who try attacking Makoto or other khajiits because a true high king should welcome all species, not just nords.

I made my decision as I stand and leave the infirmary, I was going to inform everyone that he was not a traitor. I was. I summon all my stormcloaks to one area of the palace, I don’t tell them what I need them for, I just tell them to gather. I walk out with my head held high and begin to speak, “brothers, sisters, of the Stormcloak army, as you may know the khajiit known as Makoto is laying in the infirmary right now,” I pause as I hear the disapproval from my soldiers, “I hear sounds of disapproval in the crowd, is it because he’s a khajiit or is it because of what ideas you have formed in your head? You respected him as your brother, yet now you show your true feelings. I’ve gathered all of you here to tell you that Makoto and I, we were in a relationship, he did not seduce me, he did not betray any of you. I came to him and I initiated what I wanted from him. And as a Nord, as well as a high king, you are not supposed to lie to those you trust with your life, nor are you meant to betray those closest to you. If you have problems with this, I will respectfully ask you to remove your stormcloak armor here and now then walk yourself to the dungeons below,” I say as I watch their reactions.

A few of my long-time soldiers removed their armor and walked to the dungeon, but it was only four out of the hundreds I commanded. I look around at everyone, they held faces of shame as they know they’d done wrong by him. Even I knew that no matter what I did, I wouldn’t be able to make it up to Makoto and our trust, our bond, was shattered. He would never trust me again and that is of my own doing.