Status: If you haven't heard of Creeper...what are you waiting for?

The Callous Heart Club

I

“El they’re back again…” my best friend Catherine told me as she swept the patio of my dad’s store. My gaze followed hers to the large group of people we had been seeing around town for the past week or so.

They’re matching jackets had risen suspicions of our local seniors; ‘Up to no good,’ one of our regulars claimed every time she came in to grab her late night biscuits and instant tea. Who could blame her with the face of a reaper in a pink heart? It wasn’t exactly a friendly mascot.

“Come inside,” I advised her, “Stand behind the counter with me.”

She complied quickly allowing the door to shut behind her, we were getting ready to close anyway a few minutes earlier wouldn’t hurt the business. I peered at them for a moment longer but when I made eye contact with the man who had long black hair, I shifted my eyes back down to the money I was counting.

Shaking away the look in the boy’s eyes I began the closing deposit again, 100, 200, 300, 400—

The bell above the door dinged and with it a jolt from my friend. Without looking up I knew who had entered our small shop. Through my lashes I managed to see the group spread throughout our small store. They didn’t seem to be causing any trouble, it put me at ease slightly. Catherine on the other hand made a shelter out of my smaller stature.

“You’re fine,” I whispered to her stepping off to the side so she could no longer hide behind me, “We’re fine.”

“I’ll be right back.” I told her, zipping the bank bag closed, heading for the office.

“Elena—”

“Cat, I’ll only be a minute.”

Going through the motions I’ve come to memorize, I slid my reading glasses on and set to work. Halfway through my friend interrupted my work.

“Um, El one of them wants to speak to you.”

“What about?” I asked with a shake of my head, “If it’s a price it’s not a big deal just change it I want to finish this, so we can close at a decent hour.”

“He asked for you by name,” she said a little pale playing with her hair nervously.

I was entirely sure I didn’t know any of these people and if they knew me I was certainly unaware. A rock was sitting in the pit of my stomach, how could they know my name? It’s possible they overheard Catherine and I speaking to each other. I nodded my head, that had to be it. Of course, the shop wasn’t so large that someone would have to strain their ears to overhear our conversation at the register.

“Alright let’s see what he needs.”

Cat allowed me to leave the office first, wondering who would be waiting for me at the counter. Would it be the long haired boy I had seen earlier? Or would it be the smaller boy with the light blonde hair I had seen beside the other?

My heart rate began to pick up when it was the long hair boy.

“Can I help you?”

“Elena?”

“Yes?” I asked in return, “How do you know my name?”

He smiled at me and it was a pleasant smile but it didn’t answer my question. “Your father rented out the upstairs flat to us, he said to ask you for the key.”

I could feel my cheeks redden in embarrassment. I had taken this man for a creep and all because my Dad had done business with him. If it wouldn’t have made me look worse I would have apologized.

“Right,” I mumbled quickly ducking beneath the counter rummaging through the lockbox for the correct key set. When I resurfaced I handed them over, “It’s around back.”

“Thanks,” the boy said to me before he let out a whistle.

All of his friends began to join him as he headed for the door, my eyes following him as well. Catherine locked the door and flipped the sign as soon the door closed and I let out laugh.

“Well I feel like an arsehole.”

“Why?” Cat asked picking up a few items from places where they didn’t belong, “Their reputation speaks for itself. Why on earth would your father rent to them? Surely he’s heard the rumors...”

I shrugged my shoulders, “Dad’s nice, he probably ignored the rumors. Anyway you can go I’m nearly finished”

“You sure you don’t want me to stay?”

“I’m fine.”

My friend found her coat wished me a good night and headed home for the night. I wrapped up fairly quickly, double checking the registers to make sure they were locked. I stepped out of the store and locked it from the outside. Hopping off the step, I began my trek home. It wasn’t far just a block and a half.

I felt as if someone was watching me, but I was used to that sort of thing. This late at night in the city people weren’t always the most trustworthy. So I did what I always did, pulled out my mobile and texted Cat and some of our other friends, Luke, and Jen. We all joked about the precarious situation I was in, the lighthearted banter made me feel slightly better. Despite it being at my expense.

“Dad I’m home!”

I kicked off my shoes, looking around for my father in the living room. I chuckled he was asleep in his favorite chair the tellie was still on, approaching him softly, I shook his arm.

“Hey you fell asleep again.”

“Oh I’m sorry Ellie,” he apologized through a yawn, “Did you get something to eat?”

“I got something with Cat,” I replied, “Why didn’t you mention you rented out the flat? I made this poor boy out to be a creep.”

He let out a sound of surprise, “I forgot sorry kid, i’m glad the lad stopped by seemed to be a decent person. Despite what Ms.Cook has to say.”

I trusted my father’s judgement so I didn’t question him, and the group hadn’t been rude or impolite. There was no proof of their so called called reputation so I decided to stay neutral and form my own opinion.

“You know her and her opinions dad,” I let out a chuckle as I made my way upstairs, “She loves negativity almost as much as she loves her biscuits.”

My father agreed as I turned into the washroom, I ran the water for my much needed shower. I disrobed, tied my hair up and hopped in quickly. My mind wandered to this and that, but it always went back to my dad’s new tenant. Something about him was so familiar, his eyes, maybe I had seen him around before he became the leader of this gang?

I couldn’t have, I didn’t remember him at all but why did I feel like I had known him once before?

Elena.

My eyes popped open from under the spray, dad would have to wait until I got out. Although I thought I had heard him earlier say he was going to bed. Ignoring I made a grab for my body scrub.

Elena…

I dropped the bottle of soap on the shower floor. That voice wasn’t my father’s, and did it come from right beside the shower? My heart race, I swallowed as I gripped the shower curtain. Slowly I poked my head around the fabric. Absolutely nothing.

“Dad?” I called out.

No answer.

Feeling uncomfortable, I shut off the water and wrapped myself in my black towel. Cautiously I looked around the room, it was more than likely my tired mind playing tricks. I was being silly .

I wiped the fog away from the mirror and gasped. Whipping my head around so fast it hurt, but he wasn’t there. I could have sworn that the long haired boy was standing right behind me. Not even three feet away. Good god, I had thought so much about the stranger that I was slowly going around the bend.

I let out a little anxious chuckle, “You’re losing it, El.”

Needless to say I finished up my nightly routine very quickly. I locked the door to my bedroom and settled in for the night. I turned on my television for the white noise, I browsed through my mobile until my eyelids became too heavy to keep open.

***

There was so much love in his eyes, his hands on my cheeks. A light kiss pressed to my forehead. I buried my face in his neck. Wrapping my arms around his neck, I never felt so in enthralled, so attached to someone. So much passion for one person, I feared that if I let go of him he would be gone forever.

I said his name but it was as if it was being censored. Who was this man, that I apparently had loved so much?

He made a joke and I could feel the laughter in my stomach, I chuckled so hard that my body ached. It was then I realized we were in the park, it must have been spring because the plants were gorgeous and lusciously green.

We laid on a blanket talking, kissing, holding hands. Simply enjoying each other’s company, I was the happiest I had ever been. My hands gravitated into his soft hair, as I initiated a deep, and sensual kiss. My chest was about to burst and as we fell back fully, I caught his eyes.

Those deep, warm eyes, I recognized them. It startled me when I put two and two together. I pulled away from him. The honest feelings I had a moment ago, now replaced with irrational fear and confusion. I pulled away from him, and those once warm eyes darkened with sadness.

“Elena…”

“Who are you?”

“Elena please...don’t wake up yet.”

I shook my head rapidly in fear as I stood quickly and backed away from the rather tall boy. I caught a glimpse of a dark figure, shrouded in dark robes and the strangest mask I had ever seen.

“Who is that?” I raised a hand to point in the proper direction behind him. “What is going on?”

He took a step toward me his hand outstretched as if he were going to try and touch. Reacting on instinct I jumped back to keep him at a safe distance. I needed to wake up things were getting too strange, who were these strangers and why was I so close to him? Why did I love him?

“Elena please, please, please…” he reached out again, tears in his eyes?

“I don’t know you!”

“Elena no!”


I sprang up my dark hair flying around my shoulders, what kind of dream was that?

I sighed rubbing my face, as I laid back down I saw what I thought was the masked man in my dream, but naturally shrugged it off. I was spooked from an odd dream it made sense.

Eventually I fell back to sleep but the boy with the long hair haunted my dreams the rest of the night.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello! How is everyone? I hope you enjoy this loose interpretation of Creeper's debut album. So far, so good. Also go check out their music it's awesome! It's been on repeat for me for awhile now!